Poll: Should Brian Sutter's Reign End?

Should Brian Sutter's Tenure As Hawks Coach Be Extended?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should Brian Sutter's Tenure As Hawks Coach Be Extended?

• Yes
    • No

For what its worth, my take is that Sutter should be let go at least at the end of the season if not before. He may be a great coach for veterans, but this is a young team that needs a coach who relates well with younger players. Someone such as the guy who's the coach of the Hawks minor league affiliate in Norfolk.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-hawk27.html

Hawks facing key decisions

January 27, 2004

BY JENNIFER JONES Staff Reporter

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- On the ice, the Blackhawks' situation continues to look the same.

When the Hawks face the Vancouver Canucks tonight, they will be looking to break a franchise-record streak of 17 straight road losses. Their injury list got a little longer, too, when center Scott Nichol missed practice Monday because of a groin injury. General manager Bob Pulford said the Hawks were having Shawn Thornton fly in from Norfolk as a precaution in case Nichol is not able to play.

"We have so many injuries, so you don't want to go down,'' said Nichol, who played with the injury the last few games. "We're already short-handed, so there are a lot of guys playing hurt that probably shouldn't play. We're doing the best we can. It's like a MASH unit right now.''

The Hawks hope some of their more seriously injured players return in the next few weeks. But the real story over the next few months will come off the ice, where the Hawks have to make some important decisions about their future, as well as clear up some lingering issues about their past.

Former general manager Mike Smith's grievance against the Hawks for refusing to pay the remainder of his contract still is pending. A source close to the situation said that no hearing date has been set and that the reason for the delay is believed to be a dispute over documents the team has failed to deliver. The hearing was expected to take place in January, but now it looks like it might not be until after the All-Star break.

When the Hawks fired Smith, they essentially chose coach Brian Sutter over their general manager, realizing that one of the two had to go because they no longer could work together. But Sutter's contract expires after this season, and he said Monday that there have been no talks about an extension.

"I don't worry about that,'' said Sutter, who added that as a player, multiyear contracts did not keep him from feeling like he needed to prove himself each year to earn a return invitation.

There has been speculation that the team would be better off with another coach as it continues with its youth movement. And Sutter understands the Hawks' poor record makes his situation very different from that of Ottawa Senators coach Jacques Martin, who was rewarded for his team's success with a multiyear extension Monday. But Pulford said Monday that the Hawks plan to offer Sutter an extension.

"We'll do that when the time comes,'' Pulford said. "Sutter's fine. Right now we're trying to get through this year.''

The future of many Hawks players also is unclear, with many contracts expiring after this season. With the trade deadline coming up March 9, center Alex Zhamnov is the team's best asset, and several teams are believed to be interested in him.

Pulford still is insisting that the Hawks have not decided what to do with Zhamnov, though it would be surprising if they went public with their plan to trade him.

"It's a bit early yet,'' Pulford said.

Zhamnov could fit into a number of situations, and the Hawks might be better off trading him sooner rather than later before the trade market becomes oversaturated with teams looking to dump players. Plus, teams fighting for the final playoff spots in their conferences -- the Atlanta Thrashers, for example -- might be interested in Zhamnov now, but their interest could wane if they fall further back in the race.

Scotty Bowman himself couldn't have gotten 20 wins out of this bunch of Norfolk Admirals...

Sutter is a problem and should be fired for sure but the deeper problem rests with Pully and Dollar Bill. Ever since the Roenick giveaway these two bastards have been seeing just how little they can spend on this team and basically have adopted a strategy of padding their pockets off the remaining fans that are stupid enough to pay for tickets to go see this team.

Sutter is a problem and should be fired for sure but the deeper problem rests with Pully and Dollar Bill.  Ever since the Roenick giveaway these two bastards have been seeing just how little they can spend on this team and basically have adopted a strategy of padding their pockets off the remaining fans that are stupid enough to pay for tickets to go see this team.

I'd be interested to see their income statement after this year. Very soon they are going to start losing money. Espesially once their season ticket base goes through 10K a night.

I dont care if they didnt win another game all year, but just get a coach in here who knows how to work with kids. Sutter is no longer just bad, he is actaully HURTING this team by f***ing with the kids confiednce. Ruttu has said he would have stayed in Findland if he knew how Sutter was going to be, and Sutter scremed at Leighton during a TV timeout and he has not been the same since. Sutter needs to go. If they give him an extension, thats it for me, im done with them.

Paul Maurice was fired for such behaviour. The new guys seems fairly decent...now if he can teach the Canes about knocking the puck in the opponents' net....to dream the impossible dream.

I dont care if they didnt win another game all year, but just get a coach in here who knows how to work with kids. Sutter is no longer just bad, he is actaully HURTING this team by f***ing with the kids confiednce. Ruttu has said he would have stayed in Findland if he knew how Sutter was going to be, and Sutter scremed at Leighton during a TV timeout and he has not been the same since. Sutter needs to go. If they give him an extension, thats it for me, im done with them.

Of course they will give him an extension. Finally the Hawks have found the ultimate yes man to put behind their bench. The last nail in their coffin has been driven in.

Who cares?

The SlackHawks are a non-issue in the already pathetic Chicago sports scene.

What good are polls when the ownership gives not one s*** what the "average fan" thinks anyway?

They're not going to fire or acquire anyone with the lockout on the horizon.

Smithov would still be there if he hadn't ( allegedly ) lobbied the media to stump for Sutter's dismissal.

My brother-in-law got me tickets to the March 19th game vs. Vancouver and I will wear my Canucks road jersey with pride.

Who cares?

The SlackHawks are a non-issue in the already pathetic Chicago sports scene.

What good are polls when the ownership gives not one s*** what the "average fan" thinks anyway?

They're not going to fire or acquire anyone with the lockout on the horizon.

Smithov would still be there if he hadn't ( allegedly ) lobbied the media to stump for Sutter's dismissal.

My brother-in-law got me tickets to the March 19th game vs. Vancouver and I will wear my Canucks road jersey with pride.

Seriously, I grew up hating the Red Wings, but it is such a different place involving hockey here in Michigan. The Wings are on tv all the time. Plus, there is alot of Red Wing pride. The last few years I can't remember hearing anything about the Blackhawks. It is sad.

Seriously, I grew up hating the Red Wings, but it is such a different place involving hockey here in Michigan. The Wings are on tv all the time. Plus, there is alot of Red Wing pride. The last few years I can't remember hearing anything about the Blackhawks. It is sad.

Yeah, funny how showing the home games on TV hurts THEIR attendance, huh?

The Red Wings organization wants to win, and they have my respect for that.

They also have a cool home jersey, but they don't use it as a prop to try to lowball their players' contracts.

There's been nothing worth talking about with the SlackHawks in a LONG LONG time.

I'm glad they're not showing that suckass team's home games on TV right now - the only difference is that they'd be losing with their road uniforms on instead.

( The road jerseys at home idea is VERY stupid, in my opinion )

The Slacks are dying and nobody cares.

Yeah, funny how showing the home games on TV hurts THEIR attendance, huh?

The Red Wings organization wants to win, and they have my respect for that.

They also have a cool home jersey, but they don't use it as a prop to try to lowball their players' contracts.

There's been nothing worth talking about with the SlackHawks in a LONG LONG time.

I'm glad they're not showing that suckass team's home games on TV right now - the only difference is that they'd be losing with their road uniforms on instead.

( The road jerseys at home idea is VERY stupid, in my opinion )

The Slacks are dying and nobody cares.

They wear their road jerseys at home?

You know whats sad is that the Wings are just what the Hawks were in the early/mid 90's. The Hawks used to sell out every night, they had a great team that hit, scored, fought and basically laid it all out there for their fans every night. Now they dont do anything but roll over for the Columbus Blue Jackets because all the players with heart got run out of here long ago.

They wear their road jerseys at home?

Yeah, like FO14 said, the home team wears their dark colors and the road team wears their lighter jerseys.

I have seen people cheer for the wrong team for a second at the Wolves game ( I haven't been to a SlackHawks game this year ) because they're used to cheering for the light jerseys. The AHL is following suit ( and probablt following orders ) and having the home team wear dark colors too.

It's a stupid idea.

Yeah, like FO14 said, the home team wears their dark colors and the road team wears their lighter jerseys.

I have seen people cheer for the wrong team for a second at the Wolves game ( I haven't been to a SlackHawks game this year ) because they're used to cheering for the light jerseys. The AHL is following suit ( and probablt following orders ) and having the home team wear dark colors too.

It's a stupid idea.

I second that.

Alright! The title "Should Sutter's reign end?" caused me to go in and vote yes without reading the actual poll question.  Consider that one more NO vote and one less YES vote, please.  :rolleyes:

dammit!!..i did the same thing...at least im not the only one :bang ....yea, sutter needs to go, now