Wally Backman Finds a New Job

Chisoxfn

Courtesy of the Birmingham Barons

BIRMINGHAM, AL – Five days following the resignation of new manager Eddie Rodriguez, the Arizona Diamondbacks have announced today that Wally Backman will skipper the Lancaster JetHawks, the Diamondbacks Single-A, California League affiliate, for the 2004 season. Rodriguez recently accepted a position with the Montreal Expos as their new bench coach to open up the spot for Backman.

Backman lands in Lancaster after three seasons as a manager in the Chicago White Sox organization, the last two with the Class AA Birmingham Barons. In his two seasons with Birmingham, his clubs posted a 152 - 125 (.548) overall record and made the Southern League playoffs each season. In 2002, the Barons captured the Southern League championship and Backman was named the manager of the year as well as the league's Baseball America top managerial prospect.

The Oregon resident began his managerial career in the independent ranks, capturing a league championship in the Western League while with Tri-City in 2000. In four seasons, Backman guided three different independent clubs before joining the White Sox organization.

A former first round draft pick of the New York Mets and a member of that club's 1986 World Series Championship team, the 44-year-old played with a total of five organizations during his career before retiring in 1993. He hit .275 with 240 RBI in 1,102 career games at the big league level. In addition to the World Series title in 1986, Backman saw action in two other postseasons, 1988 with New York and 1990 as a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the only one who thinks something else must have happened for Backman to get blackballed the way he has?

Do you think The Twins management was telling the whole truth? Even their manager said he called him up to say "beat their sorry brains out so I can have Manuel's job."..or something like that. But I'm glad he found a job. He's going to bring intensity, aggressiveness, and fire in that A ball team.

Good riddance to that pile of s***!!!!!!!! :fyou

Wally Backman is hardly a "pile of s***". He's a manager who over the past two seasons got more out of his team than most anyone in baseball. He may have been a little over anxious to get himself to Chicago, but he didn't do anything underhanded to get there.

He REPORTEDLY told Gardenhire to go out an whip the Sox so that he could have the managerial job. While that's far from an honorable thing to do, when you're cashing checks from the organization, he didn't do anything to physically harm anyone on the team or hinder thier development in any way. And I'm sure you never wished to get a promotion at your job, especially if you had a lame duck candidate ahead of you.

I'm sure Cotts, Bullard, and Jeff B. would come on here and defend him as a great manager. One who if he was the skipper of the big league club last year, we would have had a division championship at the very least.

He REPORTEDLY told Gardenhire to go out an whip the Sox so that he could have the managerial job.  While that's far from an honorable thing to do, when you're cashing checks from the organization, he didn't do anything to physically harm anyone on the team or hinder thier development in any way.  And I'm sure you never wished to get a promotion at your job, especially if you had a lame duck candidate ahead of you.

No, bottom line is you can't defend it if he did it. You cannot slant it any way to make it right. If he did it, he's a douche bag. If he didn't, I take it back.

No, bottom line is you can't defend it if he did it.  You cannot slant it any way to make it right. If he did it, he's a douche bag.  If he didn't, I take it back.

I know I'm not going to change you mind on the subject, but here's a somewhat simillar scenario. I know your a giants fan too, but stick with me...

Jerry Angelo didn't want Dick juaron to be his coach. That's plain as day fact. But after his key aquisitions(Wahington and Traylor) and first season DJ was 13-3 and coach of the year in the NFL. DJ's contract was due to be extended, and JA was forced into having a coach he didn't want.

So how is this simillar to the Backman situation you ask. Well

JA set out to sabotage the Bears. Backman did nowhere near that, only making a comment, as opposed to a systematic destruction for ones own personal gain.

Dont think JA could pull it off? here's proof:

• Cut starting takle Blake Brockermyer
  • Replace with rookie first round draft pick Marc Columbo -- who was considered a stretch pick in the first round
  • Forgets to check a box requiring teams to provide compensation for Warrick Holdman if they sign him to an offer sheet. Subsequently the Bears have to pay through the nose in order to match Kanasas City's offer leading to the departure of double digit sackman Rosevelt Colvin
  • Forgets to check a box requiring teams to provide compensation for Dwayne Bates . Dwayne Bates is signed to an offer sheet by Minnesota which our "hero" Jerry matched because he "knew" that Dwayne would renegotiate to a smaller salary. When Dwayne refused to take a pay cut Angelo released him, but Dwayne got to keep the signing bonus. Bates signed with Minnesota and enjoyed a comparable, but slightly more productive year than Dez White.
  • Drafts CB Roosevelt Williams in 3rd round. What might have been? CB Derek Ross who had 5 interceptions 2002. Williams was cut the following year
  • Releases (starting Tacke)Big Cat Williams in favor of Aaron Gibson or Bernad Robertson (subsequently cut).
  • Declines to resign double digit sackman Rosevelt Colvin -- declaring Bryan Knight his replacement. Bryan Knight was demoted by game four of 2003 and ended the year with no sacks.
  • Trades Ted Washington away in favor of Alfonso Boone -- hurting team chemistry, morale, and diminishes Urlachers effectiveness. All we got in return was a 4th round pick, for a superbowl teams starting NG?
  • The Bears 2002 draft was arguably the worst in football. The only productive player from the draft is Alex Brown, a fourth rounder, who had first-round talent, but fell because he had an extremely sketchy background.

So now that Angelo's actions have been documented, What, if anything, did he do to deserve a 4 year contract extension, while Jauron was shown the door? How much bigger of a "douche bag" is Angelo than Backman? Why should he still have a high ranking job, while backman is essentially fired and demoted?

--------

Note: I may hate Jerry Angelo's past moves, but I think he does have a good football mind, as evidenced by last years draft. I just think he did an underhanded thing to get his own guy into position. All of the moves he has made this off season I have been impressed by.

There are many sides and facets to what goes on in baseball from personalities to performance. I don't buy that there is any one reason that Wally left the Sox. I do have a few thoughts, however....

1. First of all, Wally was not fired. He was simply not offered a new contract. His previous contract was up. Secondly, Wally was very emphatic that he would not got back to AA again. He felt he had earned a promotion. As it turns out, if he were offered a AA contract in December he could have had a change of heart since many other jobs were filled at that point. I do think the fact that he didn't want to go back to AA had an effect on the Sox decision not to offer the contract.

2. The Sox actually did indeed offer him a new contract during the season. Without a guarantee that he would not have to come back to AA and not knowing what was going on with the White Sox, he decided to hold off signing it. That was his choice at the time.

3. I personally find the story that broke about his "conversation" with Gardenhire stinks, big time. One source reported it with no direct quotes whatsoever. Other media sources only reported it a few days later because the story hung out there. No specific person was quoted and no other media source decided to do any kind of follow up. With today's media, that makes no sense.

4. If Wally did make such a comment, I have no doubt it was in jest. Did he want the Sox managerial job? Hell yes. But was he trying to undermine JM to get that job? I don't think so. The bottom line is 85% of Sox fans wanted the same thing, Manuel fired. Many people on this board went to great lengths to make long posts as to why he should be fired. So to call him an asshole for having the same thoughts you were is quite hypocritical.

Perhaps joking with a buddy was a bad idea. But how many times have any one here made a comment in jest that was meant to stay in that room only?? When casual comments land in print, they look 10x worse than they were intended.

5. That said, Backman is not without his faults. I don't pretend to know everything he ever did or said, but I know enough that like all of us, he was not perfect. I believe his biggest crime was not being patient enough in waiting for a position that White Sox personnel were telling him was all but his.

6. Lastly, regardless of everything else, Backman is one hell of a manager. His players loved playing for him, they played hard and they won games. He was a master at the game itself and won games for his team. Watching him over two seasons it was evident how much of an effect he had. I for one, will miss watching Wally manage.

I know I'm not going to change you mind on the subject, but here's a somewhat simillar scenario.  I know your a giants fan too, but stick with me...

Jerry Angelo didn't want Dick juaron to be his coach.  That's plain as day fact.  But after his key aquisitions(Wahington and Traylor) and first season DJ was 13-3 and coach of the year in the NFL.  DJ's contract was due to be extended, and JA was forced into having a coach he didn't want. 

So how is this simillar to the Backman situation you ask.  Well

JA set out to sabotage the Bears. Backman did nowhere near that, only making a comment, as opposed to a systematic destruction for ones own personal gain.

• Replace with rookie first round draft pick Marc Columbo -- who was considered a stretch pick in the first round

• Forgets to check a box requiring teams to provide compensation for Warrick Holdman if they sign him to an offer sheet. Subsequently the Bears have to pay through the nose in order to match Kanasas City's offer leading to the departure of double digit sackman Rosevelt Colvin

• Forgets to check a box requiring teams to provide compensation for Dwayne Bates . Dwayne Bates is signed to an offer sheet by Minnesota which our "hero" Jerry matched because he "knew" that Dwayne would renegotiate to a smaller salary. When Dwayne refused to take a pay cut Angelo released him, but Dwayne got to keep the signing bonus. Bates signed with Minnesota and enjoyed a comparable, but slightly more productive year than Dez White.

• Drafts CB Roosevelt Williams in 3rd round. What might have been? CB Derek Ross who had 5 interceptions 2002. Williams was cut the following year

• Releases (starting Tacke)Big Cat Williams in favor of Aaron Gibson or Bernad Robertson (subsequently cut).

• Declines to resign double digit sackman Rosevelt Colvin -- declaring Bryan Knight his replacement. Bryan Knight was demoted by game four of 2003 and ended the year with no sacks.

• Trades Ted Washington away in favor of Alfonso Boone -- hurting team chemistry, morale, and diminishes Urlachers effectiveness. All we got in return was a 4th round pick, for a superbowl teams starting NG?

• The Bears 2002 draft was arguably the worst in football. The only productive player from the draft is Alex Brown, a fourth rounder, who had first-round talent, but fell because he had an extremely sketchy background.
  •  

So now that Angelo's actions have been documented, What, if anything, did he do to deserve a 4 year contract extension, while Jauron was shown the door?  How much bigger of a "douche bag" is Angelo than Backman? Why should he still have a high ranking job, while backman is essentially fired and demoted?

--------

Note: I may hate Jerry Angelo's past moves, but I think he does have a good football mind, as evidenced by last years draft.  I just think he did an underhanded thing to get his own guy into position.  All of the moves he has made this off season I have been impressed by.

Nothing to deserve it. I didn't hire Jerry Angelo, I never said I liked him. If he did all that s*** to sabotage the Bears then he's a douche bag too. So they both suck if they did what they are said to have done, simple as that.

He REPORTEDLY told Gardenhire to go out an whip the Sox so that he could have the managerial job.  While that's far from an honorable thing to do, when you're cashing checks from the organization, he didn't do anything to physically harm anyone on the team or hinder thier development in any way.

he reportedly said that and it has never been denied. Such gross disloyalty and self-seeking is totally inapprorpriate. I was a Backman supporter until I heard that. Any player or manager who is calling the opponent to say what he said - he's gone.

I am glad he got a job elesewhere. Everyone makes mistakes. He made one that got him fired. He did not get blacklisted, he is still in baseball, so it ended well and I hope he thrives in his new position.

This is pretty f***ed up right here.

Angelo was looking to get rid of the coach, he's the GM. Backman was below Manuel, looking to get his job. Two totally different situations.

I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest over the friggin Bears though. I think half of that list is nonsense, but it doesn't matter. Jauron is gone and everyone is happy.

Replace with rookie first round draft pick Marc Columbo -- who was considered a stretch pick in the first round

Forgets to check a box requiring teams to provide compensation for Warrick Holdman if they sign him to an offer sheet. Subsequently the Bears have to pay through the nose in order to match Kanasas City's offer leading to the departure of double digit sackman Rosevelt Colvin

Forgets to check a box requiring teams to provide compensation for Dwayne Bates . Dwayne Bates is signed to an offer sheet by Minnesota which our "hero" Jerry matched because he "knew" that Dwayne would renegotiate to a smaller salary. When Dwayne refused to take a pay cut Angelo released him, but Dwayne got to keep the signing bonus. Bates signed with Minnesota and enjoyed a comparable, but slightly more productive year than Dez White.

Drafts CB Roosevelt Williams in 3rd round. What might have been? CB Derek Ross who had 5 interceptions 2002. Williams was cut the following year

Releases (starting Tacke)Big Cat Williams in favor of Aaron Gibson or Bernad Robertson (subsequently cut).

Declines to resign double digit sackman Rosevelt Colvin -- declaring Bryan Knight his replacement. Bryan Knight was demoted by game four of 2003 and ended the year with no sacks.

Trades Ted Washington away in favor of Alfonso Boone -- hurting team chemistry, morale, and diminishes Urlachers effectiveness. All we got in return was a 4th round pick, for a superbowl teams starting NG?

The Bears 2002 draft was arguably the worst in football. The only productive player from the draft is Alex Brown, a fourth rounder, who had first-round talent, but fell because he had an extremely sketchy background.

Brockermeyer stunk his final year here and was injured. He wasn't cut, just not resigned.

Colombo was not considered a reach. In fact many people liked that pick. He lacked footwork. He was big and had a mean streak. Kiper thought is was a good pick for the Bears.

Roosevelt Colvin really that good? Was he really an outside linebacker? Don't you think Lance Briggs was a very good draft pick to replace him? I sure do.

Dwayne Bates sucks. Saying he is slightly more productive than Dez White is just saying he sucked a little bit less than Dez White. Big whoopdeedoo!

Roosevelt Williams was a bad pick. There are always what ifs. Things happen.

Big Cat was awful last year and everyone in the know was glad he didn't come back. Gibson was not that bad. I think he was better than Big Cat personally. I know that will not be a good thing to say as Big Cat was a fan favorite, but he wasn't that good.

Everyone thought Ted Washington was done. Angelo wasn't the only one. Hell most were shocked that he could get a 4th rounder for him.

Brown is not the only one. You are forgetting Bobby Gray who looked good this year and should be a starting safety. Hopefully Columbo can come back from his injury and also be productive. The Bears 2003 draft was arguably the best in football. Too bad Dick Juron and his staff couldn't get the rookies out there sooner to see what they had. When the rookies started to play was when the Bears started to win.

You are not the only one that feels this way. You are in the same boat as Mike North. At least you have company. Not very good company, but company none the less.

he reportedly said that and it has never been denied.  Such gross disloyalty and self-seeking is totally inapprorpriate.  I was a Backman supporter until I heard that.  Any player or manager who is calling the opponent to say what he said - he's gone. 

I am glad he got a job elesewhere.  Everyone makes mistakes.  He made one that got him fired.  He did not get blacklisted, he is still in baseball, so it ended well and I hope he thrives in his new position.

I am in complete agreeance with this. I was a huge fan of his. I wanted him to replace Manuel half way through the season. I thought he could give this team a lift. Then I hear what he did. I couldn't believe it. I can't stand the bastard!

Brockermeyer stunk his final year here and was injured. He wasn't cut, just not resigned.

Colombo was not considered a reach. In fact many people liked that pick. He lacked footwork. He was big and had a mean streak. Kiper thought is was a good pick for the Bears.

Roosevelt Colvin really that good? Was he really an outside linebacker? Don't you think Lance Briggs was a very good draft pick to replace him? I sure do.

Dwayne Bates sucks. Saying he is slightly more productive than Dez White is just saying he sucked a little bit less than Dez White. Big whoopdeedoo!

Roosevelt Williams was a bad pick. There are always what ifs. Things happen.

Big Cat was awful last year and everyone in the know was glad he didn't come back. Gibson was not that bad. I think he was better than Big Cat personally. I know that will not be a good thing to say as Big Cat was a fan favorite, but he wasn't that good.

Everyone thought Ted Washington was done. Angelo wasn't the only one. Hell most were shocked that he could get a 4th rounder for him.

The Bears 2003 draft was arguably the best in football. Too bad Dick Juron and his staff couldn't get the rookies out there sooner to see what they had. When the rookies started to play was when the Bears started to win.

You are not the only one that feels this way. You are in the same boat as Mike North. At least you have company. Not very good company, but company none the less.

I completely agree with you except Bates. He is an outstanding talent. He just never got the ball thrown to him enough. But I'd gladly take Gage and Wade over him. Very happy with those two picks.

I completely agree with you except Bates. He is an outstaniding talent. He just never got the ball thrown to him enough. But I'd gladly take Gage and Wade over him. ery happy with those two picks.

I would agree with you on Bates but he has had his chances in Minnesota too. He is not very good at all.

I am in complete agreeance with this. I was a huge fan of his. I wanted him to replace Manuel half way through the season. I thought he could give this team a lift. Then I hear what he did. I couldn't believe it. I can't stand the bastard!

Southside and Vince, you both are completely full of s***. First of all, Backman denied it twice, once in an article in the Birmingham News and again in the Tribune article a few days ago.

The reason it was never denied earlier in any source other than the Birmingham News, is because the writer of the story never bothered to call Backman to get his response (don't they teach you that Intro to Journalism?) and no other news source, including any of the Chicago papers ever followed up on the story. The original story was bulls***. Backman was never contacted, Gardenhire was never contacted and two unnamed Twins assistant coaches were indirectly quoted.

If you know ANYTHING about journalism, you can smell a hack job a mile away here. There is a reason no other media outlet touched the story. I figured you guys to be a little smarter than this.

You both are completely full of s***.  First of all, Backman denied it twice, once in an article in the Birmingham News and again in the Tribune article a few days ago.

The reason it was never denied earlier in any source other than the Birmingham News, is because the writer of the story never bothered to call Backman to get his response (don't they teach you that Intro to Journalism?) and no other news source, including any of the Chicago papers ever followed up on the story.  The original story was bulls***.  Backman was never contacted, Gardenhire was never contacted and two unnamed Twins assistant coaches were indirectly quoted. 

If you know ANYTHING about journalism, you can smell a hack job a mile away here.  There is a reason no other media outlet touched the story.  I figured you guys to be a little smarter than this.

Well I hope he denies it one more time and calls Kenny a liar. Then Kenny will come forward with the information he has on the subject. I would love it. I haven't heard Backman say a damn thing since Kenny said that and I am sure what Kenny said got back to him in one way or another.