KW Answers My Question

elrockinMT

I submitted this question to KW through the White Sox web site in response to their story on "Ask Kenny and Ozzie" questions during the SoxFest. It is included in the story posted today on the site.

There has been so much written on Sox fan Web sites, most likely fueled by the media, on just what involvement Jerry Reinsdorf has in making decisions for you, and what you have in making decisions for the field manager. Can you tell us your philosophy and the White Sox approach to these issues? Can you put to rest these rumors once and for all, or am I asking for too much? -- Larry Reinlasoder

Williams: No, you are not asking too much. On Jerry's involvement, Jerry is a knowledgeable baseball guy, so I run thoughts by him on a regular basis, as I do with all the people around here. It's an all-inclusive style of management that I subscribe to. In terms of actual decisions that I have to make in terms of personnel, those are my decisions and my staff's decisions. Obviously as an owner of any corporation or company, there are certain parameters we have to work under. But to a great degree, Jerry lets the people who run his organization do just that.

As for the field manager, I take a similar approach. It's the GM's responsibly to put the talent and roster together. But as I said before, it's all-inclusive and they all have input. That's the front office personnel, as well as the coaching staff. I've even, on a rare case or two, and I certainly did it last year, gone to a few players for their input prior to an acquisition. In terms of lineups, in-game strategies, pitching changes and all these things, those are the manager's decisions. Often times, I don't find out what the lineup is until I walk down to the clubhouse and see what has been posted.

I submitted this question to KW through the White Sox web site in response to their story on "Ask Kenny and Ozzie" questions during the SoxFest. It is included in the story posted today on the site.

There has been so much written on Sox fan Web sites, most likely fueled by the media, on just what involvement Jerry Reinsdorf has in making decisions for you, and what you have in making decisions for the field manager. Can you tell us your philosophy and the White Sox approach to these issues? Can you put to rest these rumors once and for all, or am I asking for too much? -- Larry Reinlasoder

Williams: No, you are not asking too much. On Jerry's involvement, Jerry is a knowledgeable baseball guy, so I run thoughts by him on a regular basis, as I do with all the people around here. It's an all-inclusive style of management that I subscribe to. In terms of actual decisions that I have to make in terms of personnel, those are my decisions and my staff's decisions. Obviously as an owner of any corporation or company, there are certain parameters we have to work under. But to a great degree, Jerry lets the people who run his organization do just that.

As for the field manager, I take a similar approach. It's the GM's responsibly to put the talent and roster together. But as I said before, it's all-inclusive and they all have input. That's the front office personnel, as well as the coaching staff. I've even, on a rare case or two, and I certainly did it last year, gone to a few players for their input prior to an acquisition. In terms of lineups, in-game strategies, pitching changes and all these things, those are the manager's decisions. Often times, I don't find out what the lineup is until I walk down to the clubhouse and see what has been posted.

Someone tell Kenny his nose is growing!

Someone tell Kenny his nose is growing!

No kidding. He's totally contridicting himself from his position just a few months ago regarding Jerry's involvement. Jerry being a "very hands on" owner. Also... Jerry made the deals with Frank and Arn, not Kenny. And just last month in AZ it was Jerry who was speaking to Barry about Sidney, not Kenny.

No kidding. He's totally contridicting himself from his position just a few months ago regarding Jerry's involvement. Jerry being a "very hands on" owner. Also... Jerry made the deals with Frank and Arn, not Kenny. And just last month in AZ it was Jerry who was speaking to Barry about Sidney, not Kenny.

I don't know. Now that I am in print I have to believe that everything is roses there and have changed my whole attitude of the front office and its moves...

I've even, on a rare case or two, and I certainly did it last year, gone to a few players for their input prior to an acquisition.

Imagine, if you will, this scene from the White Sox locker room last summer:

KW: "Okay, guys, you're probably wondering why I called this meeting today. Well, I've got great news! I've been given the green light by Mr. Reinsdorf to get ANY player from the Texas Rangers - who should I get?"

Players In Unison: "CARL EVERETT!!!!!"

KW: "Hmmm.....I thought you might want me to get Alex Rodriguez....."

Players: "Naaahhhhhhh......where would Jose play?"

JosE6: "Awwwwww.....THANKS, guys!"

KW: "OKAY, then, Everett IT IS!"

Players: "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!"

I would not really say that William's answered your question.

I mean yes there are words involved, and it is in response to your question, but the words really are meaningless when they are broken down.

"It's an all-inclusive style of management that I subscribe to. In terms of actual decisions that I have to make in terms of personnel, those are my decisions and my staff's decisions. "

Really you and your staff make decisions? I thought people outside of the orginization sent you chain letters that you used to plan for the future.

"Obviously as an owner of any corporation or company, there are certain parameters we have to work under. "

The answer to your question would of been:

These are the parameters that Reinsdorf has us working under.

And the funniest part is:

"But to a great degree, Jerry lets the people who run his organization do just that."

Translation: Jerry lets us some days make our own decisions, but most of the time he does what he wants.

I doubt Williams even wrote this, sounds like an intern or some one else writing some flimsy answer that is just lip service.

SB

And the funniest part is:

"But to a great degree, Jerry lets the people who run his organization do just that."

Translation: Jerry lets us some days make our own decisions, but most of the time he does what he wants.

I doubt Williams even wrote this, sounds like an intern or some one else writing some flimsy answer that is just lip service.

SB

See now I got..

"He does let us go pee without informing him... but if we're gonna be a while... (poo poo..) we gotta let him know first."

:lol:

And I agree.. I doubt Kenny even saw any of the questions. Not taking anything away from you MT. Cool that your question got answered even if it was/is just lip service.

I've even, on a rare case or two, and I certainly did it last year, gone to a few players for their input prior to an acquisition.

KW: "Okay, guys, you're probably wondering why I called this meeting today. Well, I've got great news! I've been given the green light by Mr. Reinsdorf to get ANY player from the Texas Rangers - who should I get?"

:notworthy

It is nice to get your question answered any time you submit one to a web site like this, but I have worked in a career where politically correct things were expected to be said especially when you talk about your boss, programs,etc, to the public. You should never expect to hear something from Kenny saying, "That Jerry is such a prick, always meddles in the club business, second guesses us all the time," etc, etc,

You have to read between the lines and I think the harder they try to be politically correct the more you can pick up on the inconsistencies such as have been pointed out in other POSTS here. Kenny is not going to say anything negative because it will probably cost him his job. I don't pretend to know what the conversations are between KW and JR, but I think we all know where the problems lie and it's right at the top. Maybe KW could do a better job with another owner I just don't know, but I am not real pleased with how he comes across sometimes concerning some of the team issues. But, you do hear from Kenny and when is the last time we heard anything positive from Reinsdorf?

I think he is even contradicting himself in the answer. At first he says he runs it by him as he does everyone in the organization. Then he says he is hands off and lets the baseball people make the baseball decisions. If he is truly hands off then why does he feel the need to run it by him?

LMAO... :lolhitting

I kind of glanced through the questions just now, and I have a hard time believing that Kenny answered those.

I think some of you guys complain for the sake of complaining. KW has done a fine job. Some things haven't worked out, but he isn't the one to point your finger at. He works hard, and if we had a new manager before, things may have turned out a little different. Our team will move forward, and if the team's revenue increases, they will use it to build the team more. However, I am not dissatisfied with our team. I wish we could have a few more starters, but I think we will be fine. The Royals and Twins certainly have their pitching question marks as well.

I think some of you guys complain for the sake of complaining. KW has done a fine job. Some things haven't worked out, but he isn't the one to point your finger at. He works hard, and if we had a new manager before, things may have turned out a little different. Our team will move forward, and if the team's revenue increases, they will use it to build the team more. However, I am not dissatisfied with our team. I wish we could have a few more starters, but I think we will be fine. The Royals and Twins certainly have their pitching question marks as well.

Well.. that's your opinion, and you're certiantly entitled to it. :rolleyes:

I would not really say that William's answered your question.

I noticed that he did not really answer most of the questions. He deftly side-stepped any questions about payroll and economics ("our fans don't want to hear about that"...even though they asked about it...hmmm...) and was very ambiguous in questions regarding players and position battles (i.e. the Rowand/Reed, Harris and Kris Honel questions). Of course, I didn't expect anything different when I saw that whitesox.com was looking for questions. This isn't any different from anything the site does: good p.r. for the sox to get people to buy tickets. I'll be much more interested to hear about the SoxFest Q&A (although I'm sure he'll be well-rehearsed and won't say much there either). I also think it would be interesting to see him answer some questions on the fly on these boards: no holds barred and no stating questions politely enough to get them published online (no offense elrockinMT). My feeling is he might wnd up walking away with his tail between his legs.

Good post. I like it!!

I'm thinking after the deals Kenny gave Koch and Konerko, and initially tried to give R. Alomar, JR won't be letting KW negotiate any contracts that are above minimum. I believe Rick Hahn negotiated Buerhle's new pact.

I'm thinking after the deals Kenny gave Koch and Konerko, and initially tried to give R. Alomar, JR won't be letting KW negotiate any contracts that are above minimum. I believe Rick Hahn negotiated Buerhle's new pact.

What makes you think Kenny was the one that negotiated these contracts? Do you know this for a fact? Where do you get this information? I think you are giving him a lot more credit than he deserves.

I'd take that to the bank. I don't know if Rick did or not. I'll ask this weekend if I see anyone that might know.. :ph34r: :lol: