Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Movie - Cast

RibbieRubarb

I had been waiting for news on this, but seeing there has been a directorial switch mid-project (never a good sign), I'm sure it's not all smooth sailing. Jay Roach had been tagged for the director spot and had sunk a lot of time into pre-production planning. Then he all of a sudden dropped the project to get working on Meet the Fokkers (which has also had its share of delays). I don't know anything about Garth Jennings, the new director.

I have been waiting for the movie adaptation of Gaimen and Pratchet's hilarious "Good Omens" to get off the ground for ever, and was stoked to see Terry Giliam at the helm. But that seems to have died somewhere along the way too.

He is a Brit Tim Burton, but nobody wants to entrust him with a big budget anymore.

He was working on a doomed Don Quixote project that sucked a couple years from his life and ended up having to drop several projects he had intended to do.

Giliam, Smash or Trash? Time Bandits was refreshing, Brazil was outstanding, Munchausen didn't quite come together, and I don't care what anybody else thinks, The Fisher King was a very good film.

All in all, a good run for the crazy American who drew the silly cartoons for Monty Python, eh?

"Things looked hopeless, when all of a sudden the animator suffered a fatal heart attack (...*gasp*...), and the cartoon threat disappeared from the screen, leaving our heros free to continue their journy."

He also played Faithful Servant Patsy ("It's only a model...") in Holy Grail.

The Directors are former music video directors called Hammer and Tongs. They are considered to be incredible visualists. But novice directors on a big project does scare me

As for Terry Gilliam, he is a visionary but he has trouble controlling his set causing budgets to escalate. Though he has a big budget summer film coming out in 2004 called "Brothers Grimm" with Matt Damon.

The Directors are former music video directors called Hammer and Tongs. They are considered to be incredible visualists. But novice directors on a big project does scare me

As for Terry Gilliam, he is a visionary but he has trouble controlling his set causing budgets to escalate. Though he has a big budget summer film coming out in 2004 called "Brothers Grimm" with Matt Damon.

If not visionary, 'visual high-impact' at the very least is an appropriate description of Gilliam, whom I have always liked. He was the one whose eye for detail gave the Python historical send-ups that uthentically dingy look. I think his background as an animator has always made him daring in terms of the visual, as he had never been constrained by anything but his imagination as an animator. The use of detailed models and traditional stop action animation that he first really made an impact with in the "Crimson Chartered Insurance" intro piece for Meaning of Life was pretty stunning for the time, and a good preview of things to come in Time Bandits, Munchausen, etc.

Brando's likening Gilliam to Tim Burton is on the money, and I think a lot of it comes from their similar animation backgrounds. Burton started out as a traditional animator at Disney, got entirely disillusioned with the company when its animation was at its low point (Black Calderon), and struck out on his own. Similar dissatisfaction with falling Disney standards is also what made Don Bluth leave to "make more Disney-like films than Disney," although he stuck with traditional animation unlike Burton.

On a side note, Eisner is completely f-ing up Disney animation again after it took so many years to get back to form in the late 80s and (mostly) stay there through now. Closing the Florida feature animation studio is a completely bottomline-based decision and ignores the fact that the last two Florida-produced releases (Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear) were vastly better and more successful than the recent Burbank studio offerings (Atlantis, Treasure Planet). Now Steve Jobs and Pixar are cutting ties with Disney after their contractual obligations are met in 2006 which will certainly hurt Disney. I really hope the Board listens to Roy and considers voting Eisner out at the upcoming meeting.