Off to NY

Soxy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats, Soxy! I'm duly impressed by that big brain. In all likelihood, you'll finish your program quicker than I did.

I got my PhD when I was 30 (technically I was 31 by the time I walked in the ceremony, but I defended my dissertation when I was 30), after 7 years of grad school and 1 year off in the middle to go beat up on poor AP high schoool students in the public school system. Between work and family now I'd never be able to complete a graduate program now, so at least I goty it done while the getting was good.

I'm going for my PhD in Cognitive Psychology with a specialization in Psycholinguistics...

:headbang

The research opportunity is so key. There are so few opportunities and so many applicants. Kudos for making the final short list.

By the way what are your thoughts on language aquisition? Are we genetically hard wired for native language skills or is it a learned skill?

APTFCH.jpg

:headbang

The research opportunity is so key. There are so few opportunities and so many applicants. Kudos for making the final short list.

By the way what are your thoughts on language aquisition? Are we genetically hard wired for native language skills or is it a learned skill?

APTFCH.jpg

I thonk "Psycho Linguistics" is research that is going to prepare Soxy for really getting the most out of the psycho posts on this board, particularly on saturday nights when things seem to go to hell. :D

Congrats, Soxy!  I'm duly impressed by that big brain.  In all likelihood, you'll finish your program quicker than I did.

I got my PhD when I was 30 (technically I was 31 by the time I walked in the ceremony, but I defended my dissertation when I was 30), after 7 years of grad school and 1 year off in the middle to go beat up on poor AP high schoool students in the public school system.  Between work and family now I'd never be able to complete a graduate program now, so at least I goty it done while the getting was good.

I went back at 40 for a BA in Psy with the assumption of getting my Masters. It has been a struggle at times fitting everything in. Fortunately I can earn a nice living with flexible hours.

I have to be careful about balancing my courseload each semester. I can not have three really tough classes with a lot of outside projects or I would be doomed. I also have to avoid group work projects that involve eberyone getting together at the same time. My schedule isn't that flexible.

I have a friend who I first got to know as a student of mine while I was a graduate TA. He was coming back to get his Biology B.S. in his 40s. I feel semi-responsible and somewhat guilty that he enjoyed the experience enough to go on to get his Master's in Maryland, and now - after several years in the workforce - is considering starting a Doctoral program at 50! Some people are gluttons for punishment I tell you.

I have a friend who I first got to know as a student of mine while I was a graduate TA.  He was coming back to get his Biology B.S.  in his 40s.  I feel semi-responsible and somewhat guilty that he enjoyed the experience enough to go on to get his Master's in Maryland, and now - after several years in the workforce - is considering starting a Doctoral program at 50!  Some people are gluttons for punishment I tell you.

The issue I faced was a love for Psy and realizing I needed a Masters to really do anything in the field. So I delayed and delayed about returning. Then, it sounds embarassing to admit, I realized the time I was spending at my Country Club improving my golf game could be spent in college. The University of Texas Pan American campus is 10 minutes from my front door.

I talked it over with my family and cried as I was tendering my resignation as President of the Men's Golf Assoc. and general membership. I do miss the early evenings on the putting green having a beer and talking with my buddies. Being able to drop by pretty much anytime and getting in a game. The tournaments. It's been replaced with cramming for exams and trying to remember stuff from my first 3 years old college in the early 80s.

Having to go back and complete some new general ed requirements is a pain in the ass, but it will be worth it. If my damn knee had not of given me trouble I would have finished the first time. (Athletic scholarship was gone, I was pissed, uncertain what to do)

may i ask what university? i live in upstate new york so i'm curious

Binghamton--it's a SUNY. I've heard they aren't the best for undergrad--but they've got amazing grad programs. And I won't have a single student loan for them--plus I'll be a state of New York employee. Woohoo. :D

And, I'm definitely more of a Chomskian, Tex, so I'm thinking Language is hard wired. But that isn't much of what I'll be working on at school. I'll be doing phonetics stuff--spoken language recognition. Lots of that--and lexical processing there. I was telling my sister about the research I'll get to do--and there was this two minute pause before she says, why the hell does anyone want to know that. Heehee, to each her own I guess. :rolleyes: But it is totally crazy to think that when I get my little PhD hood I'll be 27 (or that's when my garaunteed funding runs out...).

So, thanks again for your kind words, and well wishing! They paid off, I got my first choice and NO MORE STUDENT LOANS. YEEHAW!

Binghamton--it's a SUNY. I've heard they aren't the best for undergrad--but they've got amazing grad programs. And I won't have a single student loan for them--plus I'll be a state of New York employee. Woohoo.  :D

And, I'm definitely more of a Chomskian, Tex, so I'm thinking Language is hard wired. But that isn't much of what I'll be working on at school. I'll be doing phonetics stuff--spoken language recognition. Lots of that--and lexical processing there. I was telling my sister about the research I'll get to do--and there was this two minute pause before she says, why the hell does anyone want to know that. Heehee, to each her own I guess.  :rolleyes: But it is totally crazy to think that when I get my little PhD hood I'll be 27 (or that's when my garaunteed funding runs out...).

So, thanks again for your kind words, and well wishing! They paid off, I got my first choice and NO MORE STUDENT LOANS. YEEHAW!

:headbang :headbang :snr

Congratulations on getting your first choice. That is a great area of research to get into. Being in an area that is largly bi-lingual I am more interested in language development than before. Partly because I want to understand why I can not seem to "get" a foreign language.

Who are some of the profs you will be working with?

Binghamton--it's a SUNY. I've heard they aren't the best for undergrad--but they've got amazing grad programs. And I won't have a single student loan for them--plus I'll be a state of New York employee. Woohoo.  :D

And, I'm definitely more of a Chomskian, Tex, so I'm thinking Language is hard wired. But that isn't much of what I'll be working on at school. I'll be doing phonetics stuff--spoken language recognition. Lots of that--and lexical processing there. I was telling my sister about the research I'll get to do--and there was this two minute pause before she says, why the hell does anyone want to know that. Heehee, to each her own I guess.  :rolleyes: But it is totally crazy to think that when I get my little PhD hood I'll be 27 (or that's when my garaunteed funding runs out...).

what a small world. Thats where i live, about 5 miles from the campus. Anyways, i was accepted there out of HS three years ago but i did it just to see if i could get in. Binghamton has high standards now. The average freshman SAT score is 1270 at least (i had 1310) and i just wanted to see if i could get in, i go to a different SUNY school now. BU was rated as the 11th best public university a few years ago and they are still quite high (though not quite as high). Binghamton University just went D-1 in all their sports 3 or 4 years ago and they building a very good reputation now. It is a phenomenal school and they are very picky on who gets in, especially the grad programs (and the undergrads ARE great as well). So, congrats, that is not an easy school to get in to.

Anyways, if you want any info about the area, good restaurants, entertainment, areas to go to (and avoid), etc... just ask. Again, congrats and good luck. BU is definitely a phenomenal school.

And, I'm definitely more of a Chomskian, Tex, so I'm thinking Language is hard wired. But that isn't much of what I'll be working on at school. I'll be doing phonetics stuff--spoken language recognition. Lots of that--and lexical processing there

As long as you're not "Chomskian" politically.... :bang

As far as language....in my late teens I busted my ass to learn a new language and I still don't know it. My two nephews came here as pre-teens, got immersed in the public school system and a few MONTHS (not years!) later they were absolutely FLUENT, idioms, synthax, pronounciation, everything.

Moral of the story: you're right.

I'm still only 18. Just finished my high school diploma if that's what ya want to call it, and I'll be findin out tomorrow which Uni subject I will be doin.

For any1 who was wonderin, today I did get a 2nd round offa to study Commerce at Deakin Univeristy down here which is bout 5 mins from my house which is great. I'll probably major in Accounting or Sports Management, haven't decided yet. :D

For any1 who was wonderin, today I did get a 2nd round offa to study Commerce at Deakin Univeristy down here which is bout 5 mins from my house which is great. I'll probably major in Accounting or Sports Management, haven't decided yet.  :D

Ace! DBAH0!

Congrats on gettin' into school...that's a sure bottler, and I'm glad it's not beyond the back stump, otherwise the chances of you bludgering around might be pretty good...and that'd be makin' a blue. is uni gonna be exy? I'd crack a fat if I could get back to PA to finish school. I hope you dux all of yer subjects my fine young cobber.

Hooroo,

sox4life

Ace! DBAH0!

Congrats on gettin' into school...that's a sure bottler, and I'm glad it's not beyond the back stump, otherwise the chances of you bludgering around might be pretty good...and that'd be makin' a blue. is uni gonna be exy? I'd crack a fat if I could get back to PA to finish school. I hope you dux all of yer subjects my fine young cobber.

Hooroo,

sox4life

PA you little ripper! :lol:

Ace! DBAH0!

Hooroo,

sox4life

Yeah it should be great. I know a few ppl who r doin da course from High School so that should be good. Unfortunately since it's a 2nd round offa, I gotta do a new timetable and choose new subjects all ova again, but it's a betta course with a higher ENTER score so I'm really stoked. :lol:

Yeah it should be great. I know a few ppl who r doin da course from High School so that should be good. Unfortunately since it's a 2nd round offa, I gotta do a new timetable and choose new subjects all ova again, but it's a betta course with a higher ENTER score so I'm really stoked.  :lol:

c'mon mate, no props for my aussie lingo?? :lol:

bottler? blue? exy? c'mon... I did some research for that. I'm reaching out to our international's and THAT'S the thanks I get! :lol:

Well if u did research for it PA, I suppose u did a pretty good job if u went to all that trouble. :lol:

yea student loans would be a b****, next semester im gonna see if i can get finical aid/without it being a loan because i'm not working and my mom makes like 16k a year or something like that. the only downside is my dad makes 100+k a year but im not sure if i have to put him on there because i get no child support and he lives in a different state.

Ace! DBAH0!

Hooroo,

sox4life

You've been watching too many Crocodile Dundee movies.