Curious Thought/Question

jasonxctf

Official Baseball Rules recommend that the line from home to 2B should run East NorthEast.  Obviously there is no mandate in that regard.

WHy is that? It seems odd that baseball would suggest a direction that your stadium should face. Does it have to do with the afore mentioned sunset factor?

WHy is that? It seems odd that baseball would suggest a direction that your stadium should face. Does it have to do with the afore mentioned sunset factor?

maybe to aide/protect the batters. If the parks faced the opposite direction, they(the batter) would be faced with the sun in theier eyes more often, and would concievably be at a disadvatage, not to mention they are getting a 90+MPH pitches thrown at them.

i was curious, so i was checking this out... It's overwhelmingly favoring east facing stadiums... Some point N, othes South, But most are pointing mainly to the east...

I'm using http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/ as a reference...

I have yet to find one that faces west, but I have only been searching for 5 minutes.

i was curious, so i was checking this out... It's overwhelmingly favoring east facing stadiums... Some point N, othes South,  But most are pointing mainly to the east...

I'm using http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/  as a reference...

I have yet to find one that faces west, but I have only been searching for 5 minutes.

If you had one facing west, the sun would be directly in the batter's eyes during most games.

Comerica Park is fortunately aligned so that their basebaths are as baseball recommends them, as they must be as Rex pointed out, and because of luck, allowed to have a great view of the Detroit skyline.

and every day Tiger fans post on their boards how lucky they are and you know every home game they sell an extra 20,000 tickets just for the view.

Official Baseball Rules recommend that the line from home to 2B should run East NorthEast.  Obviously there is no mandate in that regard.

I seem to recall that when the park was originally proposed, it would be the first in the big leagues not facing that general direction.

Comerica Park is fortunately aligned so that their basebaths are as baseball recommends them, as they must be as Rex pointed out, and because of luck, allowed to have a great view of the Detroit skyline.

and every day Tiger fans post on their boards how lucky they are and you know every home game they sell an extra 20,000 tickets just for the view.

Only bad luck gets you a view of the Detroit skyline.

Only bad luck gets you a view of the Detroit skyline.

Detroit is not as bad as made out to be be at all - and the skyline is not at all bad

I'm not pro Detroit but I did live there once, go back enough to see the Sox, and I am anti antiDetroit

I heard, don't know where from, that the Sox wanted their main entrance for owners and staff, to stay at 35th and Bill Veeck Drive. So the park was configured from that starting point.

I heard, and I really can't confirm this, that they wanted to main entrance on 35th instead of having the park face the skyline and having the entrance on 37th, because they didn't want the suite holders to enter that far south thinking it wasn't as safe. It seems like a weak argument to me.

I heard, and I really can't confirm this, that they wanted to main entrance on 35th instead of having the park face the skyline and having the entrance on 37th, because they didn't want the suite holders to enter that far south thinking it wasn't as safe. It seems like a weak argument to me.

Where does it say that the Main Entrance has to be directly behind home plate? They could have configured the entrances any way they wanted them and that not affected the way the field is laid out.