• Beane
    • Hendry
    • Wade
    • Epstein
    • Banifest
    • Towers
    • Other
    • Williams

im a billy bean fan...my definition of sucess is multiply trips to the playoffs..my thinking is if you go enough eventually you'll win one..and inbetween being in the race every year helps stabilize the franchise..

billy bean , on a payroll less than the white sox , continues to find ways to keep the A's in the playoffs...

im a billy bean fan...my definition of sucess is multiply trips to the playoffs..my thinking is if you go enough eventually you'll win one..and inbetween being in the race every year helps stabilize the franchise..

billy bean , on a payroll less than the white sox , continues to find ways to keep the A's in the playoffs...

He has made some pretty bad moves. I think the thing that has carried him is his 3 young stud pitchers. I think his scouts and minor league system has a lot to do with that. I think Beane gets way too much credit for the As organization. I think he is a good GM, but not the greatest.

He has made some pretty bad moves. I think the thing that has carried him is his 3 young stud pitchers. I think his scouts and minor league system has a lot to do with that. I think Beane gets way too much credit for the As organization. I think he is a good GM, but not the greatest.

and you may be right...but the bottom line , for me anyways , is he is doing exactly what the white sox should be doing based on the payroll situation..

i really started to watch billy bean after the giambi - mabry trade..when that trade was made i thought he was nuts...lost his mind...then mabry shows up in oakland , a lifetime journeyman , and it seemed like everytime i turned on SC there is mabry getting a game winning hit.

maybe bean is just lucky..but you know the saying "rather be lucky than good"

and you may be right...but the bottom line , for me anyways , is he is doing exactly what the white sox should be doing based on the payroll situation..

i really started to watch billy bean after the giambi - mabry trade..when that trade was made i thought he was nuts...lost his mind...then mabry shows up in oakland , a lifetime journeyman , and it seemed like everytime i turned on SC there is mabry getting a game winning hit.

maybe bean is just lucky..but you know the saying "rather be lucky than good"

About the Mabry-Giambi trade, I believe in the book Moneyball Lewis writes about how Beane just made the trade to get the Giambi name out of the organization, and that he did just in fact get lucky with Mabry.

Best GM in history - Jim Hendry. Don't you people read the local threads?

He's a genius. Without him, those high draft picks (from sucking ass for so long) would have never developed.

The Cubs are the World Series champions of next year, dammit. If you don't believe me, just ask their intelligent and genius fans. Just hand the trophy over to them now. There's no need in even playing the season.

Pffffffttt. :bang

read MoneyBall -- He may have made some bad moves, but so does EVERY GM -- The guy gets more for his money than any other GM in baseball. The book also explains his theory on pitchers, which is why they are loaded with them.

read MoneyBall -- He may have made some bad moves, but so does EVERY GM -- The guy gets more for his money than any other GM in baseball.  The book also explains his theory on pitchers, which is why they are loaded with them.

You are correct. He does. I am not saying he is a bad GM, just not a great or the best GM. Look at his talent though. All of the really good players have been home grown. He hasn't had to make any moves to put his team over the top and quite frankly when he has had to or tried to they havent got them over the top. Jermaine Dye, Johnny Damon, and Ray Durham are just 3 that come to mind. I think he gets way too much credit and his scouting and minor league system get zero.

This may be more of an ownership than a GM issue but Stoneman of the Angels has done what everybody should do. On the strength of a World Series champion the year before, they have gone out and acquired a number of free agents to put themselves in the thick of AL West competition if not the top. So many teams it seems rest on their laurels when they win a championship instead of trying to build a dynasty.

This may be more of an ownership than a GM issue but Stoneman of the Angels has done what everybody should do.  On the strength of a World Series champion the year before, they have gone out and acquired a number of free agents to put themselves in the thick of AL West competition if not the top.  So many teams it seems rest on their laurels when they win a championship instead of trying to build a dynasty.

They were under .500 last year. A new owner willing to spend was what allowed him to make the big moves. What did he do after they won? This is a case of making the GM's job easy. He did win though................

How does a GM that has been to the playoffs every year for the last 14 not make the list?  Sure Robert Fick was a dufus and cost the Braves last year but he still wins with JULIO FRANCO.

Exactly. I went to the list looking for Schurholz.

Da Best GM doesn't neccessarily mean the one who's won da most World Series, it's the one who does da best with da budget he has and keeps him team winnin. John Schuerholtz would prob be my pick, Beane has dissapointed with his moves in da last 2 years, but I also think J.P Riccardi is very underrated and does a great job up in Toronto.

This may be more of an ownership than a GM issue but Stoneman of the Angels has done what everybody should do.  On the strength of a World Series champion the year before, they have gone out and acquired a number of free agents to put themselves in the thick of AL West competition if not the top.  So many teams it seems rest on their laurels when they win a championship instead of trying to build a dynasty.

Who is the woman in your avatar?