Big Fish

sox4lifeinPA

I don't know if there was a thread about this already....but this is probably in my top 10 ALL TIME movies. If you love your dad, love life, love your wife, or just plain love anything....MAN...this had everyone teary and sad.

four stars and them some. GREAT GREAT movie

People routinely ascribe God-like feats to visionary Tim Burton just because he's one of the truly few people in the Biz who actually BELONGS there, creatively speaking.

BUT....I like his style enough....like the script.....like Finney....like McGregor... like Helena "haven't been f***ed like this since grade school" Bohnam Carter. Hell, I even like that Aryan Oleander girl.

Been hyping this since, like, forever.

Good movie any way you look at it. Far from a gimmick.

PA has a taste afterall.

Saw it about a month ago and loved everything about it. Got hosed for a few nomination. Not sure if it is nominaed but should be for cinematography.

I got a tad choked up at the end. Didn't cry, but I could of. How Manly of me, right?

Big Fish was outstanding, and visually it was incredibly striking. I am such a Tim Burton fan I'm almost an embarrassment (I've even seen Frankenweinie!), so it's good when one of his films succeeds at the commercial as well as critical level.

I usually have to defend a lot of Burton's stuff to the unwashed masses that I usually see as quite visionary, subtle and sometimes biting humor, with attention to detail like maybe noone else out there but Gilliam, etc. With Big Fish, a lot of people are singing his praises, and I hope he enjoys it. A also think Burton and Elfman are every bit as powerful a combination as Lucas/Spielberg and John Williams ever were

On the subject of his subtle humor, one of my favorite examples is from Mars Attacks, which I thought was great and perfectly nailed the over-the-top, 4-color cheesiness of the Topps cards that inspired it, even though in liking the film I was in the minority. Anyway, there's the scene where the openly evil martians are blowing everyone away on the streets and it's War of the Worlds-type pandemonium – then there's this one alien dragging the human-built, very campy translation machine across the street on a dolly and another alien is barking into the microphone of the device and it's coming out as, "stop, don't run, we want to be your friends." I loved that.