What books are you reading?

Texsox

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to read Shakespeare's Tragedy of Julius Caesar for English. I doth give two thumbs down of it(am I the next Shakespeare or what? :rolleyes: )

Anyways, right now, I am reading no books for pleasure. I have to get out to Barnes and Noble again and see what they hell they have for me to read out there. I need a suggestion....so you just say some and give a little description and I'll probably check it out.

Unless that is, if you don't want to. :ph34r:

Anyways, right now, I am reading no books for pleasure. I have to get out to Barnes and Noble again and see what they hell they have for me to read out there. I need a suggestion....so you just say some and give a little description and I'll probably check it out.

Unless that is, if you don't want to.

I am not an avid reader, but I read a short collection of baseball essays by George F. Will (yes, the) simply called Bunts a few months ago, and some of his thoughts are very interesting, he is a true fan.

It's a fairly recent book, too.

I am not an avid reader, but I read a short collection of baseball essays by George F. Will (yes, the) simply called Bunts a few months ago, and some of his thoughts are very interesting, he is a true fan.

It's a fairly recent book, too.

I think I've seen that one in B&N. I'll probably check it out.

I am studying American Autobiographies during the Colonial period. One of the questions the prof asked in discussion was why are bios the most popular books now. Of course I was surounded by kids giving those answers where they try to act all intellectual with comments like searching for meaning in their lives, learning about themselves through the lives of others zzzzz. So finally I pop off with the

"so you're reading Clinton's book to see if you're an adulterer? No. We are reading Clinton's book to see if there is a blue blouse, and when and where else he was doing it with interns." Geez I hate pseudo intellectuals and 19 year olds mindlessly trying to repeat something they heard in a lit class that sounded intelligent.

I really wanted to drop the "who are you crappin'" but I'm certain there are not any Dikta fans at the University of Texas Pan American

Of course I was surounded by kids giving those answers where they try to act all intellectual with comments like searching for meaning in their lives, learning about themselves through the lives of others zzzzz. So finally I pop off with the

"so you're reading Clinton's book to see if you're an adulterer? No. We are reading Clinton's book to see if there is a blue blouse, and when and where else he was doing it with interns." Geez I hate pseudo intellectuals and 19 year olds mindlessly trying to repeat something they heard in a lit class that sounded intelligent.

I know why I personally read auto-bios (anything from Stanislavsky's My Life in Art to Jesse Livermore's semi-fictional account):

TO LEARN ABOUT THESE INIVIDUALS FROM THE SOURCE ITSELF, ABOUT THEIR WORLDVIEW AND SELF-VIEW AND EXPERIENCE.....TO EDUCATE MYSELF ABOUT A PARTICULAR IDEOLOGY.....ABOUT A CERTAIN TIME AND PLACE IN HISTORY......ABOUT LIFE AS A WHOLE EVEN.......ANYTHING I CAN DRAW UPON LATER PRETTY MUCH..... ANYTHING THAT FASCINATES AND INSPIRES ME.....SOMETIMES I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM EVEN "LOOKING FOR" IN PARTICULAR--- THERE'S ALWAYS WORTHLESS FILLER YOU HAVE TO WADE THROUGH OF COURSE, DATES AND NAMES AND EVENTS GET INTERCHANGEABLE AT SOME POINT........SO IT BASICALLY IS ABOUT LESSONS AND EXISTENCE AND INTRASPECTION AND ALL THAT SOPHISTICATED AND PRETENTIOUS STUFF YOU DETEST......FOR ME AT LEAST, can't speak for everyone else.

Some auto's are fantastic and resonate long after I put them them down, not looking at life the same ever again.....while others are pretty worthless and boring..

Whether such things are boring to you or if you consider me a mindless parrot I could care less. I am not about to stunt my growth because some jaded grown-up thinks everything could be boiled down to a few common sense aphorisms and wants to ridicule some student's earnest effort to expand his/her horizons......Sorry, a formally uneducated person such as myself could ill-afford to get bogged down in the anti-intellectualism and complacency. I aim just a little higher.

If all you're interested in is an abridged history of Clinton's cum shots, then by all means. If it gives you further insight into who he is and into his reality, then all the better. I guess.

(Oh and I also love independent films and think Britney Spears is a joke. Did I just make Tex's Most Wanted List? :bang )

Betrayal of America by Vincent Bugliosi

Credo by the Rev William Sloane Coffin

I've read two of Bugliosi's boos. "Helter Skelter", of course, and "The Sea Will Tell". It's been awhile though. I may have to take a look at what else is out by him.