Talkin Baseball

Rauch611

You know, if someone posts a rumor or speculates about a possible trade, and it doesn't happen, that does not make them "Wrong".

I agree with you YAS.... Most rumors are put out there for a reason. Like we've seen here, more than half the BS in print ends up being just that. Heck.. only TWO things came true from what I heard this off season - of at least 2 dozen rumors - Sidney going back to the O's (regardless of the source :ph34r: ) and Mark signing.

I have no doubt that things aren't discussed in passing. Some of them are just too out there not to have crossed the lips of someone other than the reporter. Does it make them lies.. naa. Just means they didn't work out.

only TWO things came true from what I heard this off season - of at least 2 dozen rumors - Sidney going back to the O's (regardless of the source  ) and Mark signing

I agree-- people seem to remeber only the few rumors that came true and not MYRIAD rumors that didn't. If someone were to tally them up, wrong guesses would outnumber the right ones at least 5:1. At least.

As for Sydney....please.....It was obvious he wasn't coming to the Sox and would probably stay in B-more back when you guys STILL were giddy about his "audience" with the Sox and how if the deal wouldn't get done by a certain date it would never get done. Etc.

Duh....Sox were about 5 Mill off AND their poor player rep. 2+2 = 4

As for Sydney....please.....It was obvious he wasn't coming to the Sox and would probably stay in B-more back when you guys STILL were giddy about his "audience" with the Sox and how  the deal wouldn't get done by a certain date  ti would never get done.

Duh....Sox were about 5 Mill off AND their poor player rep. 2+2 = 4

Like back at the start of November when it was mentioned here.. :ph34r:

Like back at the start of November when it was mentioned here..  :ph34r:

You never came out and said "I was told Sid is staying in Baltimore" in November. AT least I don;t think you did.

I remember back in December (it rhymes!) you and other people were still debating whether or not he will visit here, whether or not his agent met with KW, whether or not he will like it here, whether his labrum is frayed, etc, etc.....adding that if the deal is not done by December 9th or January 9th (don't remember which), Sox will never get him.

Hell, I speculated that it would take 23-25 Mill over 3 years for Sox to get him and that 18/3 figure won't even work for Baltimore-- and he will surely give home discount. I guess I was right, too.

But if you knew all along that Sid would sign with B-more.....Then tell me this: do you think 64 Mill payroll will stay the same, be revised upward or downward by the Opening Day. I could use some insight info for a change. Especially if it's good news. :)

Thanks.

Actually, I did and the backlash was not pretty. Go figure :rolleyes: . So I didn't post another word about it on the board.

As for the payroll.. Brando I think we're all in the same boat as far as speculating what may or may not happen. After the weekend and reading EE's comments today.. I say we're screwed big time. Combine that with Hawk's mouth and I think we're going to be crucified even worse in the media this year.

I think Hawk's droping the gauntlet re: Mariotti was nothing short of AWESOME.

It'll be awesome if we do something. Otherwise.. it'll give Jay even MORE to use against us in print. And he'll absolutely crush Hawk while doing it.

It'll be awesome if we do something. Otherwise.. it'll give Jay even MORE to use against us in print. And he'll absolutely crush Hawk while doing it.

That's a laugh.

Jay "Unethical Toad" Mariotti isn't even good enough to be a chunk in Hawk's stool.

He couldn't crush a roofie pill.

That's a laugh.

Jay "Unethical Toad" Mariotti isn't even good enough to be a chunk in Hawk's stool.

He couldn't crush a roofie pill.

Ethically, you are right on the money. What I think might bite Hawk in the butt is how he pretty much attacked him in regards to him calling the Sox and their underacheivements out. The only thing Jay has EVER done right is ALWAYS lay the blame on Jerry. Jerry being cheap has been a huge story for him. That, and if the Sox fail again, and Hawks rant could give him more ammo. That's all I mean. Of course all of it will be just more media bs.. but geez... haven't there been enough negative stories written about the Sox...?

If they speculate on something but it doesn't come true, then what is it? Levine had nothing to go on with his rumor that the ARod trade was back on. That was the biggest bunch of bulls*** I have ever heard.

I don't get it. Rumor is not fact. It's not being reported as fact. When someone speculates (like I did regarding the possibility of Thomas to LA ... it was just looking at the possible matchups, the needs of the teams, the ownership/financial situations and determining that this was possible .... Did I have a source? No. It's was purely speculation on what COULD happen) .... it's just that, speculation. When someone reports a rumour, it's only a rumor. Not tomorrow's headlines.

I don't get it.  Rumor is not fact.  It's not being reported as fact.  When someone speculates (like I did regarding the possibility of Thomas to LA ... it was just looking at the possible matchups, the needs of the teams, the ownership/financial situations and determining that this was possible .... Did I have a source? No.  It's was purely speculation on what COULD happen) .... it's just that, speculation.  When someone reports a rumour, it's only a rumor. Not tomorrow's headlines.

I understand what your saying. However, there were many times last year that Gammons would have a number of teams interested in a player. Then the player would sign or be traded and the player wouldn't end up on any of the the teams he listed. Such as the Bartolo Colon, he was listed to going to a couple teams, the White Sox were never listed. That is wrong.

This Bruce Levine thing was not being reported as rumor. He was reporting it as fact. He reported that the trade TALKS for Arod and Manny were on again. In FACT they were never on again when he reported that. All sources denied it, yet he still reported that they were talking. That is wrong.

I do understand what your saying. I do understand reporting rumors is not reporting facts. Sometimes, such as the ARod talks, are reported as fact and not rumored. He never said the trade talks are rumored to be on again. He said trade talks are on again.