Myth Busters

Queen Prawn

Does anyone else here watch this show?

It has rapidly become my favorite show! :wub: :headbang

It's fun to see myths being proved and disproved and the methods used to do so. Anything from a lightning bolt to a tongue stud to a tree cannon!

If you do watch this show, what was your favorite myth that they busted?

Mine is a toss up between the breathalyzer (last night), the exploding water, dropping a penny from a high rise and the chicken rocket.

They have some really cool shows coming up in the next few weeks.

There was a marathon on New years Day... I must say i really dertracted from my Rose Bowl viewing... I don't know if I havea favorite, I just like seeing stuff get blown up.

I think I can realated to the show. it's a couple of nerds, with a warped sense of humor, blowing stuff up. I don't know why I relate :ph34r:

I have to say this show is one of the most creative on cable TV. These guys are geeks, but they are great at constructing tools for a myth. :headbang My favorites are: Trying to figure out if someone can die from pissing on the third rail of a subway line, and puncturing the cabin of an airplane (replicating the pressure at 35,000ft) to see if depressurization occurs.

Does anyone else here watch this show?

It has rapidly become my favorite show!  :wub:  :headbang 

It's fun to see myths being proved and disproved and the methods used to do so.  Anything from a lightning bolt to a tongue stud to a tree cannon! 

Mine is a toss up between the breathalyzer (last night), the exploding water, dropping a penny from a high rise and the chicken rocket.

They have some really cool shows coming up in the next few weeks.

Which of your examples were proved or disproved?

Breathalyzer - they were drunk (damn hysterical) couldn't blow a not drunk (okay, I coulda worded that better)

The exploding water - true! It has to be distilled water though

Dropping a penny - barely left a mark on the gelatin (forensics jelly) head. No matter how hard they tried to embed it in cement or ashfalt (sp?) they couldn't.

The chicken rocket - a frozen and a raw chicken had the same impact speed/force on a steel plate (that's not the exact terminology, but you get the idea, I hope).

I missed the third rail one, but the airplane one was awesome!!!!

another good one i haven't seen mentioned is where they tie weather ballons to a lawn chair and see if they can fly. not quite as exciting, but interesting, is when they try to erase credit cards, on the show they seem to be pretty versatile. but damnit all mine go to hell in a month.

IT is an awesome show. It's like Mr Science only with a twisted sense of humor. I thought trying to blow up a gas pump with a cell phone, and being pissed they couldn't was awesome.

That is the best part - after the prove or disprove the myth. Then they do everything they can to blow or destroy or do whatever the myth says is supposed to happen.

The airplane was a great example of this! :headbang

I personally liked the one where they tested to see if toothbrushes left in a bathroom and toothbrushes put in a that is sealed off from the bathroom would have parts of feces in them, and when they got the results, they found out that every toothbrush that was tested has fecial growth in it.

Every toothbrush had fecial growth in it....the ones in the bathroom and the ones in the kitchen sealed off from the bathroom. Kinda makes you think twice about brushing your teeth because you know you're brushing your teeth with s***....but then you think you'd rather have s*** in your mouth then get gingivitis....or that's how I look at it anyway.

I personally liked the one where they tested to see if toothbrushes left in a bathroom and toothbrushes put in a that is sealed off from the bathroom would have parts of feces in them, and when they got the results, they found out that every toothbrush that was tested has fecial growth in it.

Every toothbrush had fecial growth in it....the ones in the bathroom and the ones in the kitchen sealed off from the bathroom.  Kinda makes you think twice about brushing your teeth because you know you're brushing your teeth with s***....but then you think you'd rather have s*** in your mouth then get gingivitis....or that's how I look at it anyway.

Huh?

Every toothbrush had fecial growth in it....the ones in the bathroom and the ones in the kitchen sealed off from the bathroom.  Kinda makes you think twice about brushing your teeth because you know you're brushing your teeth with s***....but then you think you'd rather have s*** in your mouth then get gingivitis....or that's how I look at it anyway.

There was a whole thread about this episode on the Discovery Channel's 'Myth Buster' page.

All I have to say is... :puke