ESPN 1000

Sox1422

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reported that talks between the Sox and the Dodgers are back on.  The deal would be Odalis Perez for either Konerko or Thomas.

Perez for Konerko and his 17 Mill over 2 years?

Yes.

Perez for Thomas?

I won't go to a single game in 2004.

If the Sox trade Frank Thomas for Odalis Perez, and Thomas hits 40 homers, they will get absolutely crushed in the media. I am not high on Perez. He has good stuff, but seems to be a clubhouse cancer. Taking into account he pitches in the NL at a definite pitcher's park, his stats last year were brutal.

It would not surprise me in the least if Thomas is traded. KW has had a hard on for getting rid of Frank for a long time now. I also think that is why Ozzie was hired to start this BS with Frank and get him to want to leave. It just wouldn't surprise me if it were Frank they were tryin to push out.

:notworthy

What the f*** is with people bulls***ting about trading Thomas. Not gonna happen. If it does I'll eat my crow. But it's NOT going to happen.

Now that we know that 2002 was tricept-related....

Now that he only makes 6 Mill....

Trading a HOF'er, one of the few people on this team worth watching......for volatile Perez who can put up a 5.50 ERA just as easily as 3.50 one?

This organization is insane.

We already know what happened the last time we got rid of a star player whom Kenny disliked for an overrated project.....

:headshake

Im at the point where i dont want to lose either of them, because i know whatever one leaves will love the LA area so much that they'll play there ass off and we'll wonder why we traded them. Odalis isnt that special anyway, hes inconsistant, and gets rocked a lot. If i remember right, we scored like 8 runs on him last year at LA, so if we were rocking him, he cant be that good :)

OK, I will go out on a limb here ...

Thomas will be the one traded to the Dodgers.

There has been too much smoke about relationship problems with KW, and some people have stated that he's given approval to a trade to the Dodgers. When I say that, I mean "approved" in terms of his contract (10/5 guy).

As for my opinion on this, I am a Sox fan and a traditionalist, in addition to being a student of sports history. From that perspective, I would be saddened to see Thomas being traded from the only team he's ever played for.

That being said, it's also my opinion that no player should be untouchable. If someone is willing to offer enough for a player, it would be foolish to not listen. But if it's just Perez for Thomas, I'm against that. Talk about pressure for Perez, wow.

The smoke is beginning to clear though.

1). Dodgers ownership situation resolved.

2). Dodgers need a big right handed bat.

3). Dodger owner states intention to make a big splash.

4). Frank Thomas apparantly at odds with Sox management (not owners).

5). Thomas supposedly ok's deal to Los Angeles.

All I'm saying is, it fits.

away from la perez's numbers were pretty bad. to trade for him straight up for either konerko or thomas would be a bad move.

It would not surprise me in the least if Thomas is traded. KW has had a hard on for getting rid of Frank for a long time now.

i agree here, the talk comes up every spring and for some reason it seems like kw really wants to do this.

Konerko + Diaz + Wright for Perez I could see.

Thomas + Pacheco for Jackson and Mota I'd do.

Thomas for Perez, who isn't that cheap OR that good? NO!

Thomas can't play 1B aanymore, will break down. Mark my words.

His last 2 HEALTHY seasons, Frank averaged 975 OPS. His name is worth tickets AND publicity, whether negative or not doesn't matter.

:puke

Lets see, if the Sox move Thomas for Perez and a decent prospect or something along those lines and then they sign Travis Lee to provide some left handed pop and to be the DH, then I'm all for it.

I am a huge Thomas fan and he could very well put up good numbers, but Perez is a quality left handed starter that would make the rotation better and I just think it may be a big case of addition by subtraction.

The guy hit .278 last year with 19 hr's, and a .348 OBP. And who knows at 28, he's right in the prime of his career and those numbers could really take off. More importantly, it gives the Sox a left handed bat with some pop in the middle of the order.

Get a solid enough of a prospect (No, not Jackson, etc...although if they got someone like that...way more power to the Sox :) ).

Lets see, if the Sox move Thomas for Perez and a decent prospect or something along those lines and then they sign Travis Lee to provide some left handed pop and to be the DH, then I'm all for it.

I am a huge Thomas fan and he could very well put up good numbers, but Perez is a quality left handed starter that would make the rotation better and I just think it may be a big case of addition by subtraction. 

The guy hit .278 last year with 19 hr's, and a .348 OBP.  And who knows at 28, he's right in the prime of his career and those numbers could really take off.  More importantly, it gives the Sox a left handed bat with some pop in the middle of the order. 

Get a solid enough of a prospect (No, not Jackson, etc...although if they got someone like that...way more power to the Sox :) ).

Joel Hanrahan, Franklyn Gutierrez or James Loney is prob da best we can hope for for a prospect. No way we get Miller or Jackson unless we add sumthin with Thomas like Cotts or Borchard. Lee would add sum nice LH pop as well, think he made bout $650,000 with da Devil Rays last year rite? :o

The guy hit .278 last year with 19 hr's, and a .348 OBP.  And who knows at 28, he's right in the prime of his career and those numbers could really take off.  More importantly, it gives the Sox a left handed bat with some pop in the middle of the order. 

Travis Lee is a 750 career OPS player who'll be making only 4 Mill less than Frank Thomas will be.....and who might not perform that well playing on a team which is actually in a pennant race, with Frank's fans riding his ASS mercilessly should he, godforbid, get into a smallest of slumps.

I see KW Propaganda Machine has finally convinced Sox fans that Frank is expendable.

:puke