Child With Two Heads To Undergo Unique Surgery

Queen Prawn

NBC5.com Story

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- A historic operation is being performed Friday in the Dominican Republic on an infant born with a second head.

The surgery is designed to remove the second head, which has a partially formed brain, ears, eyes and lips. It's risky because the two heads share arteries.

A team of 18 surgeons, nurses and doctors from the UCLA Medical Center will spend about 13 hours in the operating room. During that time, they will cut off the undeveloped tissue, clip the veins and arteries and close the skull of the 7-week-old baby. 

This kind of surgery has never been performed before.

The case of "Baby Rebeca" -- as she is known -- is only the eighth documented case of its kind in the world. And in each of the other seven cases, the fetuses died before birth.

I hope the doctors can pull this off and the child will have a healthy and normal life.

NBC5.com Story

I hope the doctors can pull this off and the child will have a healthy and normal life.

Didn't you read your own post quote, 14?? It's a lot more complicated than just "pulling it off." There's 18 doctors, a 13-hour surgery, etc., etc...

Now if it was like just an extra leg or something, then I guess pulling it off might be an option.

:P :P

Damn. 90% of the way there...now I understand why the doctors were so hesitant about being optomistic. Hopefully they learn from this and can apply what they learned the next time a baby is born this way so that child survives.

Prayers and thoughts definitely go out to her and her family.