Why should we ever like Doug Mientkiewicz

quade36

I started this in response to some postings I've been reading about him in other threads. If Mientkiewicz became a Sox, I would still Boo him. He has no class and did the worst thing a sports athelete could possibly do. He disgraced fans. I will never forgive him for what he said last year, not only because I love being a Sox fan, love the city, but love baseball as well.

For anyone who believes one can't dislike someone on their team, all I have to say in response is John Starks. One of my favorite Bulls memories is how fans treated Starks when he became a Bull. Every time he made a shot, you would hear a bunch of booes throughout the United Center. I was real happy to see and hear how fans remembered what Starks said about the Bulls, the city of Chicago, and their fans. It is your duty as a fan to remember this because a sports athelete has absolutely no right to put down a fan.

So I will boo Mientkiewicz, even if he ever becomes a Sox. I'm sorry, there are just some things you can't forgive and forget.

sorry, been on for a while, usually never have time to post.  was reading another thread and wanted to get other peoples views on this.

Not a problem at all.

Here's my take, if you care to hear it:

The guy is a major pain in the ass, but he's the kinda guy you love to have on your team. A grinder as KW would say. I feel the same way about AJ Pierzynski. They irritate the hell out of us as Sox fans, but I am pretty sure a lot of Sox fans would welcome him if he came to the Southside because they are both winning ball players who can get the job done.

Not a problem at all.

The guy is a major pain in the ass, but he's the kinda guy you love to have on your team.  A grinder as KW would say.  I feel the same way about AJ Pierzynski.  They irritate the hell out of us as Sox fans, but I am pretty sure a lot of Sox fans would welcome him if he came to the Southside because they are both winning ball players who can get the job done.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

The two alphabet boys play the game the way it is supposed to be played. If I did not dislike the Twins as much as I do, I would enjoy watching Twins games just to see Pierzynski and Mientkiewicz and Hunter play.

Not that I don't like seeing AJ in a Giants uniform or anything :headbang :headbang :headbang

That guy was a major pain in our ass and I am happy as f***ing hell that I do not have to see him against the White Sox this year, that is, unless both the Giants and the White Sox make the World Series, and the odds of that happening are very small, not only because I don't think the White Sox will do much of anything this year, but plain and simply because the odds of it are in fact very small.

I totally agree with what you are saying. By being a die-hard Sox fan, it makes me hate the players on our rival teams. I too can't stand Doug M. or AJ (I am glad he is gone), but a better example for me is the Tribe players that came and played for the Sox. I had the hardest time rooting for Lofton, Alomar, and Colon, because for so many years I booed them so strongly. I for one wasn't sad to see any of these guys leave. Some may say this is crazy, but its just the way I have choosen to root for my team.

Go Sox!

wonder if cub fans would feel the same way if jose valentin ended up there??...oh , nevermind , they probably wouldnt even notice ;)

the only way i wouldnt give a guy a chance is if he was a thug or something like that..a criminal type...dougie is just a smart ass...heck i can relate to that :D

IF the sox were to even have a chance at getting either of these players... IT WoULDNT HAPPEN... even if we somehow did come across these players die hard fans could have a very hard time rooting for exrivals.. atleast i would find it difficult :canada

I am a die hard sox fan and i would absolutely hate it if Mientkiewicz ever became a sox player. I find it hard to root for solid players that play for rival teams in our division. I find it hard to see KW picking anyone up before spring training though but what else is new?

No trade between the Sox and Twins could happen. Why are we talking about this? You could say the same thing about Weaver, Palmer, and several others.

we werent talking about trades, we were talking about picking a guy up from free agency

The person whom I quoted said that KW will not make anymore moves before ST. Am I the only one who doesn't know that Doug is a FA? This thread came out of nowhere, and he mentioned before ST, and I said couldn't possibly happen. Sorry if you misunderstood me. Why are we talking about Doug?

I am a die hard sox fan and i would absolutely hate it if Mientkiewicz ever became a sox player. I find it hard to root for solid players that play for rival teams in our division. I find it hard to see KW picking anyone up before spring training though but what else is new?

So I'll just assume you hated getting Alomar Jr, Alomar, Colon, and Lofton as well.

I've said several times on here that I would root for Mientkiewicz and Pierzynski and Hunter if they played for the Sox just because of the way they play the game. I think it would be the same situation that I had with Colon(rooted against him with Cleveland, couldn't care less when he was with Montreal, cheered my ass off for him with us, and now I will root against him wherever his job will take him, be it Anaheim, be it Seattle, be it a Latin American team, be it a Senior-Celebrity softball game 30 years from now....always and forever will I root against him...

...unless he puts on that White Sox uniform again, when I will cheer for him solely because of the uni he has on.

There is not a player on the White Sox I have ever rooted against. I have disliked some(the best example is Royce Clayton, but in June and the part of July he was with us of 2002, I detested Kenny Lofton, but I still cheered for them anyways). I personally find it terrible that you would root against someone because of the kind of person they are or they kind of player they are. If they wear a White Sox uniform, I feel you should cheer them on. I can't stand Derek Jeter, but he puts on those White Sox pinstripes, I'd be wishing him nothing but the best. We get the biggest assclown in the MLB(whoever you feel it may be), and I will cheer for him.

Plain and simple, I find it hard to believe you are a true die hard if you would not cheer for someone because they made some negative comments about the White Sox. Quite honestly, I find it silly.

So to me anyways, I think you are lying in one way or another....either you aren't a die hard, or you would cheer for Mientkiewicz. Maybe it's just me though.

Not a problem at all.

The guy is a major pain in the ass, but he's the kinda guy you love to have on your team.  A grinder as KW would say.  I feel the same way about AJ Pierzynski.  They irritate the hell out of us as Sox fans, but I am pretty sure a lot of Sox fans would welcome him if he came to the Southside because they are both winning ball players who can get the job done.

Actually I hate the Dude, He needs to shut up his big trap and play the game. Can't deny that he's a good firstbaseman tho

I hate Doug ManCaveItch as much as all of you, but let's be honest. If he was a member of the Pale Hose, yes, would we want to probably boo him, but he would be wearing a Sox uniform, which immediately makes him part of the family. And all of you know that there are certain members of ANY family you would like to volunteer as a human speed bump, but you still have to stick with and support them since they're family. Blood is thicker than Gatorade.

Plus, if he hit a grand slam to win a game, I'm sure a lot of those hard feelings and boos and would turn to euphoria and cheers. Plus, we hate him now, but if he was with us, we would come to love him. Time heals all wounds, even wounds caused by an asswipe with an open yap.

I'd take him over GIDPaul in a heartbeat. At least he's faster than a tipped-over '73 Buick.