Why One Has To Go

HuskyCaucasian

There seems to be an on going debate about the potential trade with the Dodgers for Perez. Some say that Konerko should go. Some say that Thomas should go. Some say trading either of them for Perez would be a bad deal.

I give you this argument: one of them has to go. Right now, we have 2 players that have no positional flexibility. They can either be the DH or play first. This is a real hindrance. Positional flexibility and line-up flexibility is a must. If one of them goes, that frees up where players can play. Let me give you this scenario. One of them is traded. That either frees up 1B or the DH. Now, Thomas or Konerko can play 1B or DH.

For the sake of argument, let’s say that Konerko is traded. Thomas can then move to 1B (where he hits better and isn’t HORRIBLE defensively, but he isn’t great either). Lee moves to DH. Reed or Borchard then has the ability to play left. (Note: in another thread it was mentioned that Reed once played first, so he can play there in a pinch if needed) If something happens where Thomas can’t play 1B for some reason, then he can move back to DH, Lee to left, Reed/Borchard to center, and we can acquire another first base man (or use one on the roster). I am sure there are other senerios that could be presented, but for the sake of time I won’t go over them. Any thoughts on my idea?

I understand your argument, but Thomas can't play 1B everyday. I could see once or twice a week, maybe even more sometimes, but not much more then that. He's not bad with the glove, but he can't throw at all. The throw to 2B for a 3-6-3 or a 3-6-1 DP is not something you will see often for Thomas. Usually you see him field the ball and take it to first himself.

If Konerko would be dealt(and I think he is the only one that should be dealt because he is the only one to have an albatross of a contract), Thomas would DH most of the time, and someone like Gload or Travis Lee or Randall Simon(who would be my choice) would come in and would play 1B 75% of the time, or maybe we trade for someone....who knows. Lee would remain in LF, Rowand in CF, and Maggs in RF.

I understand your argument, I am just looking for a way to find positions for some of the Sox young promising players. that is all. I would like to see Reed in left (better than Lee) and Lee at DH.

But Thomas can't play 1B all the time(I would say 25% tops), and Lee DHs with Reed in LF, where does that leave Thomas? On the bench? I think not.

And Reed isn't ready anyways. He could put up solid numbers, but he's only had like a half of a year in AA....Miguel Olivo had a year or two in AA and look what he did last year. Given, Miguel isn't exactly the hitter Reed is, but there is not a huge difference between .220 and .250 when you need .280-.300. I personally think JR would be in over his head at the major league level. I think he'd be better suited to start at AA and then jump to AAA mid season and then come up in September and hopefully be ready by 2005.

And Reed wouldn't be that much better defensively then Lee in LF. Lee actually has improved quite a bit defensively and is now in the category of average, and not s***ty.

If we can, I move Konerko to LA for Perez, sign Randall Simon with part of the $3 mill we save, and call the offseason good.

why cant thomas play first base???....so he cant make the 3-6-3 as good as konerko..thats about all konerko has on thomas...thomas has better range and can stretch on throws alot better than thomas....niether one of them is gold glove material...i think thomas is no worse than konerko when you look at the whole package at first base...

thomas was a first baseman for the 1st half of his career...he's only 35...he's not ancient..though you youngins seem to think if youre over 30 youre washed up :D

The problem is the Sox need to infiltrate a left handed bat in the middle of the order. Travis Lee is out there and while he isn't near as good as the other two, he'd come cheap (like a mill cheap) and wouldn't have a long term contract or anything along those lines.

Plus the Sox could get something good for Konerko or Thomas to bolster their rotation. Although I'm not for trading them just for the sake of trading them, since it doesn't appear the Sox would use the money anyway.

why cant thomas play first base???....so he cant make the 3-6-3 as good as konerko..thats about all konerko has on thomas...thomas has better range and can stretch on throws alot better than thomas....niether one of them is gold glove material...i think thomas is no worse than konerko when you look at the whole package at first base...

thomas was a first baseman for the 1st half of his career...he's only 35...he's not ancient..though you youngins seem to think if youre over 30 youre washed up :D

Something just scares me about Thomas in the field.

I think it has something to do with him trying to do too much, make the highlight reel, and seeing him accomplish that goal...in a negative way.

I have vivid images of him going all out trying to dive for an Ichiro base hit and seeing Thomas for the last time that year in April. Not something I like a whole hell of a lot. I think he'd be smarter then that this time around, but that has left a lasting impression on me, and I wouldn't like to see it again.

Like I said, I think he should play in the field...it helps him at the plate and does a lot more as well. But I don't think he should play 1B any more then 25% of the time.

Something just scares me about Thomas in the field.

I think it has something to do with him trying to do too much, make the highlight reel, and seeing him accomplish that goal...in a negative way. 

I have vivid images of him going all out trying to dive for an Ichiro base hit and seeing Thomas for the last time that year in April.  Not something I like a whole hell of a lot.  I think he'd be smarter then that this time around, but that has left a lasting impression on me, and I wouldn't like to see it again.

Like I said, I think he should play in the field...it helps him at the plate and does a lot more as well.  But I don't think he should play 1B any more then 25% of the time.

injury factor..i didnt think about that and i can understand your concern there

Which is why I would like to see him in the field in limited duty. It has been shown on here(in fact, I did it) that he does do better when in the field. He would put up something like .320 45 145 if he played 1B all the time, but then you add what happened in 2001, and you may end up with .220 4 20 again and out for the year in late April, which is why we need someone else to play 1B most of the time.

Playing 1B now and then would be good for him. Just not all the time.

Frank's injury pretty much wiped out not only 2001 but also 2002.

Which adversely affected 2003.

Which will adversely affect 2004.

Think about that next time you hear people chirping about how every player needs to field/bunt/steal/etc.

Hawk is right: don't ask player to do what they CAN'T do.

Jerry Manuel did. And we are still paying for it 3 years later.

Frank's injury pretty much wiped out not only 2001 but also 2002.

Which adversely affected 2003.

Which will adversely affect 2004.

Think about that next time you hear people chirping about how every player needs to field/bunt/steal/etc.

Hawk is right:  don't ask player to do what they CAN'T do.

Jerry Manuel did.  And we are still paying for it 3 years later.

And we probably will for the rest of Thomas's career as well.

Also, that saying....don't ask a player to do something they can't....is part of what scares me about Ozzie. IIRC, he said something about players bunting when I tell them to....is this not doing the exact opposite of that saying, and could potentially in the end be devastating?