Working / Volunteering in a Campaign

Texsox

Have you ever worked (volunteered) for a political candidate?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever worked (volunteered) for a political candidate?

• Yes, GOP
    • Yes, Dem
    • Yes, Ind
    • Yes, More than 1 Party
    • No

I have worked for Republicans (biggest: Bernard Carey, Republican Cook County Sheriff), Democrats (of course) and Independents (member of Independent Voters of Illinois when I lived in that state, also for John Anderson, 1980) -

best crusade: Eugene McCarthy, 1968

being antimachine and given the once glorious moderate Republican wing in Illinois politics (where have you gone Ev Dirksen, Richard Ogilvie, Lucy Reum, Richard Friedman, and so many others) and the alliance they ahd with independent voters and liberal Dems (where have you gone, Paul Douglas, Paul Simon, Bill Singer, Bill Simpson, and so many others) I voted for more Republicans than Democrats until I moved to Michigan and split my volunteer time 50-50

hell, I voted Republican in 2000 (John McCain in the March primary) and again in 2000 (in the August primary when I didn't even vote for myself on the Dem primary ballot - I was unopposed - but cast a vote for some friends in tough battles with right wing neanderthals - oh, I repeatred myself... :lol:)

edited to remove a not well thought out line

:usa :usa :usa

Edited by cwsox

I thought Yes, More than 1 Party would cover that.

I suppose now that you say that.

I read it too exactly in progression as if not one then two but of course it could be two or more. I am sorry. I did not think that through.

So much political s*** in my life right now with the caucus on Saturday that I am not thinking clear and I deeply apologise.

I edited the prior to remove that not well thought out arithmatic of mine...

I love the whole excitment of the campaigns. Growing up in Lake County I was always on the losing end. Grace Mary Stern was the only Dem to ever get re-elected in Lake county for 100 years. I also remember when the Equal Rights Amendment was on it's last legs. I stopped by the office and there was such sadness. People who had spent literally years trying to get it passed knew the end was then. 25 feet away was a party for an aquantance who was going to the state senate. Cheers, party noises, champaign.

I didn't think I could ever care about a campaign again.

i worked for ross perot (gulp) in '92 and dr. alan keyes in '00...nothing major though..just handing out fliers for perot and delievered campaign signs(what few were requested :huh: ) for keyes

Keyes in '00. Oddly enough, Michael Moore endorsed him in the primaries. I'm sure you knew about the mosh pit stuff.

I worked for the Dennis Kucinich campaign this year and really want to help out with Ron Paul's campaign next time he runs.