no pizza in texas

Texsox

A couple little tidbits about a couple of the places mentioned:

Pizzeria Uno(and Due), probably Chicago's most famous, and defintely the originator of the deep-dish, was started by Ike Sewell and his partner back in the 1940's, but almost didn't happen.  Ike initially wanted to start a Tex-Mex restaurant, but a couple days before they decided, his partner had gotten food poisoning from some bad Mexican food, and so they went with a pizza place.  Ike later got his Tex-Mex fix, opening Su Casa in the 1960's.

Lou Malnati was the first head chef at Pizzeria Uno.

always good to have the history retold -

odd (and very sad) thing is I cannot eat pizza now - allergic to yeast, garlic, milk products - as baggio can attest - he was there for the 2002 pizza event - once a year I will decide to hell with it and have pizza in Chicago and gorge myself (when I can set aside the next day to be sick :lol: and have my medicine all lined up to take)

for 2003, it was the night of the Overnight at USCF - all that "all you can eat" Connie's pizza - I sat in the outfield and ate and ate and ate and ate - it was almost heaven :lol: :headbang :usa

Brian went to Pizzeria Uno with his mom once a few years back when she came in to visit (she was living in Toledo at the time). He said it was the worst food that ever passed his lips, and trust me that is saying a lot (not a dig at my cooking - he gained about 40 lbs from cooking - 40 lbs that he really needed - he's 6'2 and weighed about 140 when I met him).

I never have gone to a Pizzeria Uno and don't plan on it while in Chicago (for the same reason I would never go to a Chi-Chis's - why get imitation when you can get the real thing down the street! :headbang ).

Brian went to Pizzeria Uno with his mom once a few years back when she came in to visit (she was living in Toledo at the time).  He said it was the worst food that ever passed his lips, and trust me that is saying a lot (not a dig at my cooking - he gained about 40 lbs from cooking - 40 lbs that he really needed - he's 6'2 and weighed about 140 when I met him).

I never have gone to a Pizzeria Uno and don't plan on it while in Chicago (for the same reason I would never go to a Chi-Chis's - why get imitation when you can get the real thing down the street!  :headbang ).

Don't compare the Pizzeria UNO downtown with the chains located across the country. The quality never transfers. It didn't work for Connie's either--all the satellite locations are abominable.

Brian is nuts if he went to the ORIGINAL Uno and said it was the worst thing he ever had. Unless he ordered quiche or something.

Don't compare the Pizzeria UNO downtown with the chains located across the country.  The quality never transfers.  It didn't work for Connie's either--all the satellite locations are abominable.

Brian is nuts if he went to the ORIGINAL Uno and said it was the worst thing he ever had.  Unless he ordered quiche or something.

The one I was talking about is in Crestwood. Then again, most of the restaurants in that immediate area seem to suck.

The one I was talking about is in Crestwood.  Then again, most of the restaurants in that immediate area seem to suck.

Ugh, you allowed your loved ones to go to an Uno chain in Crestwood. Shame on you.

That place on Cal-Sag and Cicero is really good--J.C.'s? J.P's? And that little Italian place at College Drive and Harlem is also really good.

Ugh, you allowed your loved ones to go to an Uno chain in Crestwood.  Shame on you.

That place on Cal-Sag and Cicero is really good--J.C.'s?  J.P's?  And that little Italian place at College Drive and Harlem is also really good.

Eh, it's 5 minutes from home (I don't think his mom wanted to drive far and she is afraid to get in the car with him). Brian and I had our first date at the Applebee's there...went back a few times and the food has gotten REALLY bad.

Eh, it's 5 minutes from home (I don't think his mom wanted to drive far and she is afraid to get in the car with him).  Brian and I had our first date at the Applebee's there...went back a few times and the food has gotten REALLY bad.

Applebees=bad food.

I have yet to eat at a good one.