My senior thesis accepted for presentation

aboz56

I have received word today that my senior thesis that I completed in the fall has been accepted for presentation at the National Conference for Undergraduate Research in Indianapolis. As if presenting the paper for the entire political science faculty here at school wasn't enough, now I'm going to be presenting my work to professors from all over the country and have them discuss and critique it. :huh:

Here's the abstract of my work (if anyone wants a copy to read, let me know.) :P

ASSESSING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE 1996 WELFARE REFORMS

Paul A. Bozich (Linda C. Gugin), Department of Social Sciences, Indiana University Southeast, New Albany IN 47150

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 marked a major change in the philosophy of welfare in the United States that had been in place since the New Deal. The aim of this study was to assess the effectiveness of welfare reform by examining caseload reductions at the state level. A major portion of the study focused on six states, Indiana, Kentucky, California, New York, Florida and Wyoming, in order to determine if the characteristics of the programs adopted by each state were related to reduction in the state’s welfare caseloads. In-depth studies of program characteristics, which included the application process, categorical eligibility and financial eligibility, showed that the states that adopted two program characteristics – formal diversion and an employability plan – were more successful in reducing welfare case loads than the states that did not adopt these measures. The paper also incorporates information and statistics on what has happened to families since leaving welfare. These data suggest that while welfare caseloads have decreased significantly it is premature to fully assess the long-term implications of the 1996 welfare reforms.

I have received word today that my senior thesis that I completed in the fall has been accepted for presentation at the National Conference for Undergraduate Research in Indianapolis.  As if presenting the paper for the entire political science faculty here at school wasn't enough, now I'm going to be presenting my work to professors from all over the country and have them discuss and critique it.  :huh:

Here's the abstract of my work (if anyone wants a copy to read, let me know.)  :P

ASSESSING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE 1996 WELFARE REFORMS

Paul A. Bozich (Linda C. Gugin), Department of Social Sciences, Indiana University Southeast, New Albany IN 47150

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 marked a major change in the philosophy of welfare in the United States that had been in place since the New Deal.  The aim of this study was to assess the effectiveness of welfare reform by examining caseload reductions at the state level. A major portion of the study focused on six states, Indiana, Kentucky, California, New York, Florida and Wyoming, in order to determine if the characteristics of the programs adopted by each state were related to reduction in the state’s welfare caseloads.  In-depth studies of program characteristics, which included the application process, categorical eligibility and financial eligibility, showed that the states that adopted two program characteristics – formal diversion and an employability plan – were more successful in reducing welfare case loads than the states that did not adopt these measures.  The paper also incorporates information and statistics on what has happened to families since leaving welfare.  These data suggest that while welfare caseloads have decreased significantly it is premature to fully assess the long-term implications of the 1996 welfare reforms.

Congrats man! :cheers :cheers

And actually call me a nerd, but I'd be interested in reading it.

Very cool, Abo.  Well done.  :drink Too bad the conference isn't in Honalulu or somewhere like that.

That's what I was thinking.

I heard last yr it was in Salt Lake City, which woulda been a helluva lot better than Indy, which is just 2 hrs north of here. Thanks for your kind words.

Yeah Indy pretty well sucks.  My best advice would be to try to catch a game at the Conseco Field House.  It is the best basketball arena I have seen, bar none.  Way retro and way cool.

I go a lot of Pacers games, in fact I've been this season to see King James.

2k4, have you ever been to the AAA park here in Louisville, you should think about coming down this summer and see the Knights for a few games as they'll most likely have Jo Bo, Reed, Cotts and some other good prospects. Park is really nice and there's also the Louisville Slugger Museum downtown.

I go a lot of Pacers games, in fact I've been this season to see King James.

2k4, have you ever been to the AAA park here in Louisville, you should think about coming down this summer and see the Knights for a few games as they'll most likely have Jo Bo, Reed, Cotts and some other good prospects.  Park is really nice and there's also the Louisville Slugger Museum downtown.

Well then you might have seen everything worthwhile in Indy IMO :lol: Anyway I do want to get out and see some minor league games this year. They upped my 7 game plan to 9 games, when I was waivering on whether to get it or not, so they talked me out of tickets this year.

I was also thinking about seeing Toledo and Indy's new stadiums based on when Charlotte was around. Hopefully some of the Soxtalk guys will be there, and I can meet some of them face to face.

Well then you might have seen everything worthwhile in Indy IMO :lol: Anyway I do want to get out and see some minor league games this year.  They upped my 7 game plan to 9 games, when I was waivering on whether to get it or not, so they talked me out of tickets this year. 

I was also thinking about seeing Toledo and Indy's new stadiums based on when Charlotte was around.  Hopefully some of the Soxtalk guys will be there, and I can meet some of them face to face.

I am planning on going to 10-15 Sox games this year, so hopefully they'll have some kind of Soxtalk tailgating at one of the games I go to.

Since you guys are so good at thesises, anyone want to help me with mine. I have to right a paper on Helen f***ing Keller.

Shouldn't be too hard at all, there's certainly plenty of info about her available.

How long does it have to be?

:cheers Congrats man.....That's sweet. :cheers

Ha yeah, Indy is pretty bland. I got to see my first game in Conseco last December w/ the rematch of IU-MD which IU won in OT! :headbang I haven't been to a Pacers game there yet, I went to a lot of games when they were at Market Square. Have any of you been to Victory Field to see the Indy Indians? It's a hell of a nice park.