What would happen to Maggs if...

DonkeyKongerko

...he had another below average season by his standards like in 2003? Especially if Carlos, Frank, and maybe PK had very good seasons. Two below average seasons in a row is hard for anybody to ignore and could significantly lower his free agent value after '04. Does anyone think we would have a better chance of keeping Maggs if his value was seriously depreciated after 2004, or does he really just wanna get the heck out of Dodge?

...he had another below average season by his standards like in 2003?  Especially if Carlos, Frank, and maybe PK had very good seasons.  Two below average seasons in a row is hard for anybody to ignore and could significantly lower his free agent value after '04.  Does anyone think we would have a better chance of keeping Maggs if his value was seriously depreciated after 2004, or does he really just wanna get the heck out of Dodge?

Last season wasn't bad by any standard and in a contract year you know he's gonna be killing the ball all season.

i didnt think he had an off year even by his standards...

606ab 95r  192h  46d  3t  29hr 99rbi .317ba  .926ops

other than his rbi's being down a little his other numbers are at his career average or better ..his 192 hits were a career high

The # 3 + 4 hitter in todays game should hit 100 or more RBI. There is no excuse not to unless he is injured for a significant amount of time or the offense is awful. In Magglios case neither of these situations fit. How the hell do you get 606 ABs and hit 29 homers in the middle of a good white sox line up and don't get at least 100 RBI? And he wants 14 million over 5 seasons? GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!!!

Maggs definetly has to have a better year then last year if he wants that kinda of money, theres no doubt about that. If he has the same year as he had last year dont expect to many teams to be offering him 14 million a year. His free agent value could definetly increase if he has a great year, and i think thats what he will do.

The # 3 + 4 hitter in todays game should hit 100 or more RBI. There is no excuse not to unless he is injured for a significant amount of time or the offense is awful. In Magglios case neither of these situations fit. How the hell do you get 606 ABs and hit 29 homers in the middle of a good white sox line up and don't get at least 100 RBI?  And he wants 14 million over 5 seasons? GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!!!

he was one rbi away!!....one rbi and you lose the premise for your whole arguement

The # 3 + 4 hitter in todays game should hit 100 or more RBI. There is no excuse not to unless he is injured for a significant amount of time or the offense is awful. In Magglios case neither of these situations fit. How the hell do you get 606 ABs and hit 29 homers in the middle of a good white sox line up and don't get at least 100 RBI?  And he wants 14 million over 5 seasons? GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!!!

:huh: :headshake

How about if the #1, #2 hitters esentially don't do their jobs? The top of our order sucked for most of the year. Maggs didn't have nearly as many RISP chances as years past.

That's bulls***.

D'Angelo Jimenez, Willie Harris, and Tony Graffanino were more than adequate, and they were always on base waiting to get driven in - how can you argue that? Those guys could flat out hit the s*** out of a baseball. Ty Cobb would bow to them.

Yeah, they were always thrown out at a base, or too stupid to know how to act in the basepaths, but my argument still stands. Maggs sucks.

he was one rbi away!!....one rbi and you lose the premise for your whole arguement

Yeah and so do all the people that didn't like Mark Grace because he never hit 100 RBI. He was 9 away one year, 8 another and 2 away yet again. The point is he didn't do it and he was the #4 hitter the entire season with over 600 at bats for a pretty damn good lineup with 29 HRs. He should have had 100 RBI. One away or not, he didn't do it.

How about if the #1, #2 hitters esentially don't do their jobs?  The top of our order sucked for most of the year.  Maggs didn't have nearly as many RISP chances as years past.

If you do want to go by that argument , then how do you explain both Thomas and Lee going over 100 RBI then? Lee was moved all over the lineup and still managed over 100 RBI. There is no excuse for Magglio not to have done it. Stop trying to make excuses for him. Chavez and Tejada both did it. Who was leading off on the top of the As lineup, Mark Ellis? This argument just doesn't hold water. I am by no means trying to say Maggs sucks.I am saying he better have a better year though or he can kiss his money good bye. I would not pay 14 million a year for the guy.

If you do want to go by that argument , then how do you explain both Thomas and Lee going over 100 RBI then? Lee was moved all over the lineup and still managed over 100 RBI. There is no excuse for Magglio not to have done it. Stop trying to make excuses for him. Chavez and Tejada both did it. Who was leading off on the top of the As lineup, Mark Ellis? This argument just doesn't hold water. I am by no means trying to say Maggs sucks.I am saying he better have a better year though or he can kiss his money good bye. I would not pay 14 million a year for the guy.

I do agree that I wouldn't pay 14 million for him, but I would pay at least 11 or 12 million to one of the most consistant hitters in baseball. He has hit .300 30 100 for the last 5 seasons. He was off only this year by 1 homerun (for 30) and 1 rbi (for 100.) If maggs would had hit solo homer in the last game last year, you would lose the whole point of your arguement. Maggilo also missed time due to that elbow. He plays hard everyday, and comes up with clutch hits to help us. I'm glad he is on the sox this year. Hopefully, he can finish his career here.

I do agree that I wouldn't pay 14 million for him, but I would pay at least 11 or 12 million to one of the most consistant hitters in baseball. He has hit .300 30 100 for the last 5 seasons. He was off only this year by 1 homerun (for 30) and 1 rbi (for 100.) If maggs would had hit  solo homer in the last game last year, you would lose the whole point of your arguement. Maggilo also missed time due to that elbow. He plays hard everyday, and comes up with clutch hits to help us. I'm glad he is on the sox this year. Hopefully, he can finish his career here.

Yes I would loose all premise to my argument, but the fact is he didn't do it. It is an accomplishment that shouldn't be too much to ask from a 11-14 million dollar a year player. That is all I am saying. He may have missed time but he still had over 600 ABs so it wasn't significant enough. Everyone plays hurt, it is a long season. I didn't see much of him coming through in the clutch last year. I remember a lot of double plays though.

Very true, but I don't think Maggs was paid 11 to 14 million last year. He did earn that money.That was the first year that he looked like Konerko as far as DPs. He still hit a respectable average, hrs, rbis, etc.. Yes this year 14 million is alittle high, but I don't think he cannot deserve it. I see him having a good season this year.