32 members have voted

1. 1. who should be the 5th man in the rotation

• Neal Cotts
    • Robert Person
    • Felix Diaz
    • Dan Wright
    • Jon Rauch
    • other

grilli is a wild card out there..ive never seen him pitch so i cant comment on him

I've never seen the guy pitch eigher, but for some odd reason, I got a feeling that he'll win it. (just like what I had with Stewart) I think Coop is gonna straighten him out as far as pitching, and he'll get it together in time for the season... I can see the future you know. :P

Who should be the #5 is Schoenweis because the Sox should have picked up a #2 or #3 starter in free agency.

Who will be the #5 starter on opening day? Most likely Danny Wright. Because he has more experience and has mostly recovered from his arm injuries that had him down for most of 2003.

I would be shocked if anyone else beats him out, if they do.. I wouldn't mind though.

He has that circulatory problem as well. He hasn't been the same ever sense. I'd rather go with Cotts now. But Grilli is who I feel will win it.

I think I heard he may not be able to pitch again, but he won't be in Chicago for 2004 definitely.

For the record, we have an off day in KC and then the day before the home opener. Barring any rainouts, the first time we will need a fifth starter is April 18th against Tampa. The Sox will probably not decide on who the guy is until after the season starts, to see who is pitching well, or healthy, at that point.

My guess is Ozzie will want to go with a veteran, but nobody will step up. Rauch finished strong last year, so I'll go with him.

I'll tell you the guys who I don't want to be the fifth starter:

Dan Wright and Robert Person

Wright has been too inconsistent and I'm fed up with him. I think (and hope) he's blown his last chance at a rotation spot with the Sox. As for Person, while he was a good starter 3 or 4 years ago, he's 35 and probably won't be any more effective than the young guys (although I said that last year about Loaiza). Unless one of these guys drastically outperforms the competition I would hope the Sox give a young pitcher a shot since they always seem so scared about committing to young guys (look at the way they jerked Kip Wells and Garland in and out of the rotation in their first seasons). Anyway Grilli, Cotts, Rauch, Diaz, Pacheco, etc. would be fine with me as long as they earn it.