Recipes

Soxguy

Ok I'm gonna try and be a nice guy on Valentine's day and cook my girlfriend a nice dinner as opposed to taking her out.  I want to cook something that's not too impossible but looks good and tastes good too?  Anyone have any ideas or any URL's?

you gotta tell us her tastes??...ethnic food??...vegetarian???..give us some ideas of what she likes??

for a romantic setting , whatever dish you make it should go good with a nice bottle of wine (i prefer white)...its a classy touch and has its benefits later on in the evening ;)

you gotta tell us her tastes??...ethnic food??...vegetarian???..give us some ideas of what she likes??

for a romantic setting , whatever dish you make it should go good with a nice bottle of wine (i prefer white)...its a classy touch and has its benefits later on in the evening  ;)

see this is where I'm lost. I know nothing about wine. Her tastes......she mainly likes chicken but is open to seafood and anything that has vegetables in it. She isn't a big fan of beef or pork. :bringit

see this is where I'm lost.  I know nothing about wine.  Her tastes......she mainly likes chicken but is open to seafood and anything that has vegetables in it.  She isn't a big fan of beef or pork. :bringit

on the food..i think it was fanof14 who seems to be the resident chef here..she had some good recipes for chicken and broccoli cooked with garlic that looked like it might work..seemed pretty easy to make...add some steamed rice and maybe some mixed veggies and you got a nice little meal...hopefully she'll answer this thread

as for the wine i have you covered....with chicken or fish you wanna go white wine..basic rule of thumb is white meat = white wine, red meat = red wine..

the best white wine comes from germany hands down..and the good thing is its easy to find and relatively inexpensive...about10 -20 bucks a bottle for good high quality wine...there is basically 3 types of german wine

1. reisling...the least expensive...probably 10-15 a bottle (prices might have gone up a little - i havent bought wine at all this season)...its a dry wine..not to my taste but alot of people like it

2. spatlese...this is a sweet wine (which means the grapes were picked later in the season..the longer they stay on the vine..the more sugar they produce)..a little more expensive than reisling...probably 12-20 a bottle.

3. eis...now if you have the bucks this is the way to go..eis mean ice in german..meaning the grapes stay on the vine until the first frost...only about 10% of the grapes survive this process and thats why its so expensive...but it is by far the best wine you will ever taste..ive only had one bottle of eis wine..i couldnt believe how good it was....the cheapest ive ever seen eis wine was 40 bucks for a half of bottle ( they sell them in half bottle sizes cause of the price)..which is the one i bought ;) ..ive seen them as high as 750 bucks a bottle..

whatever type you choose...make sure you this phrase on the bottle "qualitat mit pradikat"...means quality with honors...the highest rating the german wine industry can give a wine...if its got that youre assured a good wine..also the best region of germany to get wine year in and year our in rhineland...but really anywhere in germany you find a good wine..

if you are looking for domestic wine someone else will have to help you there..im not up on american wines :huh

hope that helps

2. spatlese...this is a sweet wine (which means the grapes were picked later in the season..the longer they stay on the vine..the more sugar they produce)..a little more expensive than reisling...probably 12-20 a bottle.

Like Baggio, I also enjoy the German white wines, and really only like white dessert-type wines in general, otherwise I stick with reds I am not a dry white person.

At the far sweet end of the the reisling-spatlese... continuum is auslese (not sure I spelled it right). These are great deszsert wines if you are looking for something sweet and fruity. Schmit-Sohn is usually easy to find (usually in cobalt blue bottles), and quite reasonable too.

In truth, I only dabble in wine and beer is where my heart is. If you want to wow someone with a Valentine's Day dessert beer, pick up a Lindeman's or Timmerman's Framboise. It's a Belgian bottle-conditioned raspberry lambic that is actually very champaigne-like, with tight white bubbles taht leave a nice Belgian lace down teh sides of the glass. If you try it and like it, AND if you get to liking this cooking stuff, I'll turn you on to a recipe for making a sorbet out of the fruit lambics... If that's not romantic I don't know what is.

I'll keep checking in on this thread, and if noone gives you a recipe you like, I have an elegant but relatively easy chicken dish I like to make. It uses frufru things like artechoke hearts, pearl onions and heavy cream sauce, sure to dazzle, so only make it if you're prepared to get some lovin... :)

Like Baggio, I also enjoy the German white wines, and really only like white dessert-type wines in general, otherwise I stick with reds  I am not a dry white person.

At the far sweet end of the the reisling-spatlese... continuum is auslese (not sure I spelled it right).  These are great deszsert wines if you are looking for something sweet and fruity.  Schmit-Sohn is usually easy to find (usually in cobalt blue bottles), and quite reasonable too.

In truth, I only dabble in wine and beer is where my heart is.  If you want to wow someone with a Valentine's Day dessert beer, pick up a Lindeman's or Timmerman's Framboise.  It's a Belgian bottle-conditioned raspberry lambic that is actually very champaigne-like, with tight white bubbles taht leave a nice Belgian lace down teh sides of the glass.  If you try it and like it, AND if you get to liking this cooking stuff, I'll turn you on to a recipe for making a sorbet out of the fruit lambics... If that's not romantic I don't know what is.

I'll keep checking in on this thread, and if noone gives you a recipe you like, I have an elegant but relatively easy chicken dish I like to make.  It uses frufru things like artechoke hearts, pearl onions and heavy cream sauce, sure to dazzle, so only make it if you're prepared to get some lovin...  :)

i forgot about auslese..good catch

I can't help much on wine as I don't drink much (I'll drink a blush, but that's about it, except for tonight - I finished off the bottle of red wine I was cooking with - made homemade ravioli, it was needed in for the meat filling). Brian likes Italian so that is what I've been cooking. Lasana (even vegetarian style) isn't that difficult - since she will eat chicken or seafood - try either bits of chicken or seafood in place of the beef. If you are really interested in this, let me know and I will pm you a recipe I have. Homemade garlic bread makes a great side dish.

As for what Baggio mentioned - I can't remember at the moment what recipies I might have mentioned, but I am beyond certain I can come up with a few chicken/broccoli/garlic deals. Let me know.

Crimson - Brian would agree on your suggestion! :)