Griffey Jr a Sox?

southsidehitmen01

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The knock on this trade is that Griff is signed for 5 more years.

Were his contract to run out after, say, 2005 or even 2006, then it would a compltely different story.

BUT.....Konerko is one of the most overrated, overpaid players in the game. See next to last page of the "AM1000" thread for reasons why.

Koch?  You don't just lose 5-8mph of your fastball. He was overrated even when he threw 100, but at least he was legitimately above-average.  In 2004, he may post a 5.50 ERA very easily.

Griffey?  HOF ceiling. 1000 OPS and GG defense. His recent injuries have robbed him of 20SB speed, but so what? I could live with that if he gives me very good defense and 900+ OPS.

He makes, what, 12 Mill a year? He gives back a couple just because of attendance, ratings, media coverage and merchandise boost he brings.  So you're takling about a 9-10 Mill a year player. Konerko and Koch make 14.8 Mill.    I am not sure about Reitsma, though.

Again, I believe he can stay healthy. But because of the LENGHT of the contract,  it will be a big gamble to take him on.

If he makes his salary up with attendance and media attention, the Reds wouldn't be so eager to trade him. The guy was a great player, maybe he could get back to being a good player, but the money that would have to be used to pay him can be much more wisely spent. This rumor is just not true.

I think you just said in 10 seconds what I have been trying to in 5 different posts.  Thanks for getting straight to the point.  LOL

The difference between Joey and Junior is that:

1. Griff can actually play defense and play it well at a tougher position.

2. Joey was signed. If he was traded for, say, Navarro, Parque and Clayton, then his 11 Mill a year would have been tolerable.

Plus, back then 11 Mill bought you more than 12 Mill buy you today.

I think I'd do this trade. While Griffey is a big risk, his salary is balanced by unloading Koch and Konerko. He was a Hall of Fame hitter before going to Cincinatti (and even in his first season there) so perhaps the hometown pressure has gotten to him and maybe he'd do better with the Sox. In addition, I think Koch has lost his spot on the team and it's useless to have an 8 million dollar set-up man. If Griffey is healthy there is no way that he puts up worse numbers than Konerko. Plus CF is a big need for the Sox. And, of course, Griffey is a name which would get people to the ballpark. I know he's a big risk, but so is relying on on Billy and Paul to bounce back. I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't be disappointed in any way if KW pulls the trigger on this deal.

This rumor is just not true

Of course it isn't. Reds aren't THAT desperate.

But I disagree with you with regard to Griff's intangibles: Chicago is a lot different than Cincy and the first year impact would be greater anyway. Who knows how many "extra" fans would come out/tune in/buy merchanse/consume if healthy Griffey was introduced.

Not enough to cover his entire contract, sure, but at least a mill or two worth more compared to what Aaron Rowand or Willie Harris "draw". IMO.

Of course it isn't.  Reds aren't THAT desperate.

But I disagree with you with regard to Griff's intengibles: Chicago is a lot different than Cincy and the first year impact would be greater anyway.  Who knows how many "extra" fans would come out/tune in/buy merchanse/consume if healthy Griffey was introduced.

Not enough to cover his entire contract, sure, but at least a mill or two worth more compared to  what  Aaron Rowand or Willie Harris "draw".  IMO.

I think he has been injured too long to have much impact attendance and merchandise wise. He would get hurt in spring training.

I think he has been injured too long to have much impact attendance and merchandise wise. He would get hurt in spring training.

1-2 Mill isn't tha high of a figure, Dick.

It's not like I am expecting Sosa-ian boom circa 1998 when he made the Cubs uncounted millions just with his name/presence.

And I disagree about him getting hurt in spring training. It's not as if he is the second coming of Samuel L Jackson from Unbreakable. :lol:

Again, were his contract just a few years shorter, I would do the deal. Now? Might be too high a risk as Rex mentioned.

I think I'd do this trade. While Griffey is a big risk, his salary is balanced by unloading Koch and Konerko. He was a Hall of Fame hitter before going to Cincinatti (and even in his first season there) so perhaps the hometown pressure has gotten to him and maybe he'd do better with the Sox. In addition, I think Koch has lost his spot on the team and it's useless to have an 8 million dollar set-up man. If Griffey is healthy there is no way that he puts up worse numbers than Konerko. Plus CF is a big need for the Sox. And, of course, Griffey is a name which would get people to the ballpark. I know he's a big risk, but so is relying on on Billy and Paul to bounce back. I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't be disappointed in any way if KW pulls the trigger on this deal.

You gotta think big picture here.......

Koch and Konerko are under contract with the Sox for a total of $23.125 million. Griffey is under contract for $62.5 million! Picking up Griffey would have repurcussions well beyond next season when Konerko is gone (barring being traded sooner).

The idea of Junior patrolling CF for the Sox and being as good as he used to be with both the stick and the glove is a wonderful thought. But let's admit it folks, it's not gonna happen. He has been injured way too much, and grown older in the process. He may still fight his way back to a few good years, but don't expect a HOF type run from him like he did in the early to mid 90's.

For an organization such as the White Sox, the risk is way too high for the potential reward in this situation.

It's not like I am expecting Sosa-ian boom circa 1998 when he made the Cubs uncounted millions just with his name/presence.

And I disagree about him getting hurt in spring training. It's not as if he is the second coming of Samuel L Jackson from Unbreakable. :lol:

Again, were his contract just a few years shorter, I would do the deal.  Now?  Might be too high a risk as Rex mentioned.

Who cares if he brings a million or two extra in revenue in year one? That won't offset the $12.5 million salary. Everyone has said all season long that you can't give too much to one player and that with the Sox current payroll Maggs is too expensive at $14 million. Yet, the concept of adding another player at $12.5 million and one that is injury prone and on the downside of his career is a good one?

C'mon Brando, time to change flavors of kool aid. :cheers

Comparisons, to Belle as a player aside, the point was the length of the financial commitment and the possibility of a team eating such commitment without getting a player for the full term of it.

I know.

We save about 2.5 Mill this year.

We lose only 4 Mill in 2005.

That means we only lose 1.5 over 2 years....and of course Griff makes it up for being a much better player than Konerko.

And with his name-recognition.

But from 2006 on, that's when it becomes dicey. So I agree with you to an extent.

Comparisons, to Belle as a player aside, the point was the length of the financial commitment and the possibility of a team eating such commitment without getting a player for the full term of it.

That's exactly what I was getting at.. I would rather spend 15-16 mill on Maggs than take Griffey's contract.

One dive too many and he will snap in half.

Again, were his contract just a few years shorter, I would do the deal.  Now?  Might be too high a risk as Rex mentioned.

4 years ago, I would agree with you, but not now. Chances are, he will get hurt again this year, and miss significant time. The same type of injuries happened to his father, and I think genetics may be involved. He can't help you with attendance if his sitting at home Last off season he worked out for the first time, and was in the best shape of his life. First he hurt his shoulder, than I believe it was his ankle. He is toast. Even when he played last year, he wasn't very good. He had Konerko like numbers. Scouts say his bat has slowed significantly.He will be like the 2001 edition of Harold Baines pretty soon.

Who cares if he brings a million or two extra in revenue in year one?  That won't offset the $12.5 million salary.  Everyone has said all season long that you can't give too much to one player and that with the Sox current payroll Maggs is too expensive at $14 million.  Yet, the concept of adding another player at $12.5 million and one that is injury prone and on the downside of his career is a good one? 

C'mon Brando, time to change flavors of kool aid. :cheers

Dude... I agree re: his post-2005 contract situ being a huge burden. Relax.

But I also realize that:

--In his prime Griffey was a significantly better than Maggs.

--His name brings a few extra Mill in the bigger market compared to nameless Maggs, not by a lot but enough to FURTHER reduce his "cost". (quick math: if Sammy cost 10 Mill in 1998 but "brought in" 15 Mill just because he is Sammy....was he a strain on the Cubs payroll?).

--We get rid of 14.8 Mill worth of Konerko and Koch in 2004 and 9 Mill worth of Konerko in 2005.

If Reds can do something about 2006-2008 and beyond, then I am listening. :bang

So i take it not to many want this trade to happen or that since its most likely not going to happen, who cares? Because I personally would like to see this go thru, because Koch, even with Oakland 2 years ago, had more blown saves than any closer should have, and that was when he was throwing 100 MPH. He just got bailed out everytime he blew one and ended up with 10 wins i believe in 2002. Im thinking Griffey is a risk, but we do need a CF, and his defense would help tremendously, i just would feel bad for Rowand not playing. (Unless of course the "move Carlos to 1B, Rowand to LF" thing happens, but i dont see it.

The Ken Griffey Jr trade rumor was floated here before. A source in Cincy said that baseball people there would be very, very surprised to see the Sox willing to take on Jr.'s contract. Ken Grifey is an interesting ballplayer to have on your team, but a big contract and prone to injuries makes you wonder if he would be worth the risk. As far as Billy Koch is concerned I didn't like the trade for Foulke either, but Billy is a competitor and maybe he can rebound. Konerko will rebound as he showed during the second half. I think this is just a rumor to get people talking and that's all.