Griffey Jr a Sox?

southsidehitmen01

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Griffey hasnt had a good since 2000 i mean come on this guy is prone to injury and you cant even come close to judging billy koch like that. He had one bad year, and maybe if he has another bad year you could say he's becoming the next griffey but for now its way to early to be calling koch the next griffey.

the reason griffey hasnt had a good season is because of injuries...even last year he hit 13 homers in 166 at bats...over a full season that comes to 45 homers or so...'

the question isnt his talent..i believe he still has the same ability he had 5 years ago...its can he stay healthy

Is there a possibility that Cincy would be able to eat 3 million ( A fourth ) of Griffey's salary every year for the rest of his contract? Has a thing such as that ever been done before, and would there be a good possibility that that situation could happen?

It's an honest question because I'm not too familiar with trading contracts.

Is there a possibility that Cincy would be able to eat 3 million ( A fourth ) of Griffey's salary every year for the rest of his contract?  Has a thing such as that ever been done before, and would there be a good possibility that that situation could happen?

It's an honest question because I'm not too familiar with trading contracts.

Not Cincy, no. Can't see them doing it.

Why shouldn't we get Griffey?

We can get a lot out of guys who are on their last legs and whose careers are over. Just look at George Foster, Steve Carlton, Jerry Reuss, Charlie Hough, Greg Luzinski, Tom Seaver, George Bell, and Todd Ritchie.

Why shouldn't we get Griffey? 

We can get a lot out of guys who are on their last legs and whose careers are over.  Just look at George Foster, Steve Carlton, Jerry Reuss, Charlie Hough, Greg Luzinski, Tom Seaver, George Bell,  and Todd Ritchie.

Interesting that you'd add Seaver in there Past as I like the parallel's to Maddux. Seaver was about the same age as Maddux now when we got him and was our best pitcher we had for 2 yrs winning 31 games and of course giving us that memorable 300th win in Yankee Stadium(if Maddux could do they same in Wrigley on the 4th of July, man........). Actually, Seaver should be held up as the example FOR signing Maddux for 2 yrs.

Konerko's numbers will be back this year,

Why do people keep saying that? Once the emotional problems/existential angst jeanie is out, it's tough to put him back in. I expect Paulie to be his schtzophrenic (ok, bipolar) self in 2004, only without the depressing lows of 2003:

800 OPS/85 RBI is what we're looking at. Of course 20+ GIDP. Base-clogging. "Doubles" down the line off his glove. The works.

We're paying him 8.5 Mill per until 2006. Frankly, I liked him more when he was making 2.5 Mill and could actually hit a slider.

and Koch can only improve from last year

4.80 ERA is a step up from 5.60 one. A 94mph straight-as-arrow fastball is better than a 92mph one. Sure.

Does it make it worthwhile paying him 6.30 Mill?

Griffey won't happen, so don't worry about him.

To me, Griffey Jr. is an enigma.

When he was in Seattle, he was one of the best 3 players in baseball, and rarely suffered injuries. He goes to Cincinnati, and all of a sudden, he's a china doll. Some people say the stress of playing in his hometown affected his numbers, but stress doesn't explain how he keeps getting season-ending injuries.

To me, Griffey Jr. is an enigma. 

When he was in Seattle, he was one of the best 3 players in baseball, and rarely suffered injuries.  He goes to Cincinnati, and all of a sudden, he's a china doll.  Some people say the stress of playing in his hometown affected his numbers, but stress doesn't explain how he keeps getting season-ending injuries.

Lack of flexibility-strenghening conditioning and far from ideal fundamentals (on slides, dives, etc) coupled with some REALLY bad luck is what did him in.

You can get away with it to a degree when in your teens-early-mid 20s, but once you're 30+, muscles, ligaments and joints need special maintanence.

Griff's laziness caught up with him. Too bad.

Brando,

That sounds like the old scouting report on Kevin McReynolds. He had a ton of natural talent, but was admittedly lazy and never worked out. When he hit his 30's, his numbers declined dramatically. When asked about his decline, I can remember reading a quote from a Mets scout that said, "He's never been a worker. He could get away with that when he was 22, but not 32."