Optimism of the day..

CubsSuck1

I'm optimistic that one of our young pitchers will rise up to the occasion, grab the 5th spot in the rotation, and perform better than we could have expected.

My biggest concern is how we're going to replace 225 innings and 15 wins (Fatolo Colon's numbers).

I am not all that worried about losing Colon's innings. Yes it would be nice if someone could step up and do those same innings. The reason I am not so concerned is that I believe we have a much stronger bullpen this year compared to last years. Even though I did hope the Sox could have kept Sullivan and Gordan but life goes on.

I only wish we had a couple of "long relievers" - guys who can come into a game and give you 2-5 innings when needed. Ala Terry Mulholland, Kirk Rueter, etc.

I fear that the bullpen could get burned out early, but we do have some young arms in the minors who are on the verge of being big leaguers, so that's even MORE to be optimistic about.

:headbang

This is true.  We've been the paper champs every year since then, and that's done absolutely nothing for us.  I can see us surprise some people this season.

Thank you greasy. I actually said something like that on another thread before I read this. Totally agree. :headbang

im optomistic about jon rauch coming back from shoulder surgery. He was the Minor League Player of the Year in Baseball American and The Sporting News ni 2000 and hes got a bright future. I think he's gonna do well this year and earn the 5th spot in the rotation. He also averages 9.4 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched and is the tallest person to ever pitch in the majors. sounds a little like randy johnson.

I can't find the link (Rex might have it somewhere), but I've read that there was some kind of heated confrontation between Rauch and Kenny Williams last year, and that Rauch's cockiness has rubbed the Sox management the wrong way.

Unless he really pitches lights out in Spring Training, I think he's taking the bump in AAA once again this year.

I found this from Rex on another board:

Rauch will get a look, but his path may be a little longer than others. He may just have to pitch a little better than he would otherwise.

I have heard a couple of times recently that Rauch got into a pretty heated argument with KW last year in ST, in front of a lot of coaches and players. Rumor has it that is why Rauch wasn't called up or seriously considered to be called up last year. I can't swear to it and I have no more details than that, but I have heard it from two different people.

If we can't rely on Rex's word, then we can't rely on anyone's.

I found this from Rex on another board:

Rauch will get a look, but his path may be a little longer than others. He may just have to pitch a little better than he would otherwise.

I have heard a couple of times recently that Rauch got into a pretty heated argument with KW last year in ST, in front of a lot of coaches and players. Rumor has it that is why Rauch wasn't called up or seriously considered to be called up last year. I can't swear to it and I have no more details than that, but I have heard it from two different people.

If we can't rely on Rex's word, then we can't rely on anyone's.

Pretty much if Rex puts it up for public seeing, it is as good as gold.

I've read that there was some kind of heated confrontation between Rauch and Kenny Williams last year, and that Rauch's cockiness has rubbed the Sox management the wrong way.

if that is true then he is the kind of guy i would want pitching for me. he's got the balls and the confidence to do what needs to be done. the k/ip ratio is good too. sox management wouldn't hold back progress of the team for personal reasons would they... hmm... no, not kw.

Last year when we weren't predicted to win the divison: 2000.

:rolleyes:

Nice to see a little optimisim around here. I think we're gonna have a great year but in order to do that we need to come out playing with a purpose. If we dont it could be a long season and Heather will have to write another one of her famous threads.

I'm optimistic that one of our young pitchers will rise up to the occasion, grab the 5th spot in the rotation, and perform better than we could have expected. 

My biggest concern is how we're going to replace 225 innings and 15 wins (Fatolo Colon's numbers).

A lot of people made fun of Colon but he got us wins and he sucked up a lot of innings for us. He has not been replaced and I will bet you a lot of his detractors will be missing his large presence (in more ways than one ) this season.

A lot of people made fun of Colon but he got us wins and he sucked up a lot of innings for us.  He has not been replaced and I will bet you a lot of his detractors will be missing his large presence (in more ways than one ) this season.

You mean like we won't get to see Corg's Tub o Goo posts, right? :D

But I do agree. I think our rotation will go on spells where they are just crappy and our bullpen will be worn out, and people will say "Why did this not happen last year?" The answer is in Anaheim.

The reason I am not so concerned is that I believe we have a much stronger bullpen this year compared to last years.

How do you figure? We lost Gordon who was our closer and second best reliever as well as Sullivan. We replaced them with Politte and Mr. Zero who may be good but both are huge question marks. Plus, don't forget how much Colon's innings relieved the bullpen last year.

How do you figure?  We lost Gordon who was our closer and second best reliever as well as Sullivan.  We replaced them with Politte and Mr. Zero who may be good but both are huge question marks.  Plus, don't forget how much Colon's innings relieved the bullpen last year.

Great sig there, Cuthbert gets hotter everytime I see her.

Out of Shoney, Cotts, Rauch, Grilli, Person, Wright or some of the other kids, we need about 4 pitchers to step up and perform well. Two starters and two relievers. If not, this is gonna be a long year. We also have to figure out who these 4 pitchers are going to be before June.