but she doesn't have a lot to say

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl

but she changes from day to day

I want to tell her that I love her a lot

But I gotta get a bellyful of wine

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl

Someday I'm going to make her mine, oh yeah,

someday I'm going to make her mine.

I disagree with you. The finest moment in their musical history was pure John Lennon. "Across the Universe." and not the Letitbenaked crap either.

A close second, the Electric "Revolution No. 1" from the Hey Jude EP

I like the World Wildlife Fund benefit album's version of Across the Universe best of all the officially released versions, an like that version of revolution a lot, too. But, for sustained musical intensity, the sonic grandeur sandwiched in Between "Here Comes the Sun" and "Her Majesty" is hard to top.

abbey road

side 2 (on the lp)

Thank you. I have taken a lot of s*** about thinking the way you guys do. I still think that's the best they ever were. The whole damn album is awesome, and it's my favorite.

Their early stuff sucked, in my opinion. That teeny-bopper, simple-lyrics, trendy crap was just that - CRAP.

I only like their stuff from the point when they released "Revolver."

I know one of you will give me a long, detailed answer on this so here it goes. I'm only 17, but a beatles fan. Not a fanatic, but a fan. Could any of you oldies tell me what exactly was their big influence on music/society and why they are put on such a high pedestal?

I disagree with you. The finest moment in their musical history was pure John Lennon. "Across the Universe." and not the Letitbenaked crap either.

A close second, the Electric "Revolution No. 1" from the Hey Jude EP

Me again, Wino. You have me stumped as far as a "Revolution 1" being on a Hey Jude EP.

You have me intrigued. The US Hey Jude album (aka "The Beatles Again") had the suped up electric version, titled "Revolution," while it was the 'White Album' (both US an UK versions) that had "Revolution 1". The latter one was the slower "shoo-be-do-wap-oh" version. There are no official "Hey Jude" EP releases as far as I can tell. I have the complete UK EP collection packed away back north, but I'm certain there is not a Hey Jude EP in that lot (which makes sense since the Hey Jude album was a US release). The last US EP from the original run was in 1965, so that doesn't fit either. Hey Jude/Revolution (not Rev1) was the lineup of the single released in 1968, but I'll be damned if I can find any solid lead on an Extended Play release. Can you shed some light ("inner" or otherwise, ala the other 1968 single, Lady Madonna/Inner Light)?

Sorry, I'm a complete vinyl Beatles geek and it will drive me nuts otherwise.

I know one of you will give me a long, detailed answer on this so here it goes.  I'm only 17, but a beatles fan.  Not a fanatic, but a fan.  Could any of you oldies tell me what exactly was their big influence on music/society and why they are put on such a high pedestal?

As has already been noted here, literally volumes have been written on ths subject. It can barely be touched on here. But what the heck, off the top of my head...

Musically alone, they ushered in the Brit Revolution, helped people cross over into more folk-oriented stuff, introduced a wider world to sitar and Indian musical motifs, released the first "concept album" and simultaneously set off the "Summer of Love" with Sgt. Pepper, showed people just how a 4-track recorder could indeed be used to layer complex multitrack recordings with the same release....

The guitar-oriented, catchy-harmonied, stupidly peppy broken-heart "power pop" genre was born in the Beatles. Paul changed the way the bass giutar is approached as a rock instrument. New technologies were unveiled with their performances, like "All You Need Is Love" being broadcast to more than 350 million viewers worldwide as the first large-scale satellite television broadcast.

Dylan notwithstanding, the Beatles were the ones to demonstrated that music could be a social force. The Our World broadcast, John and Yoko's "Bed-In For Peace," the contribution to the WWF benefit album, George's Concert for Bangladesh. Musical muscle lent to socially relevant causes was not a common thing before the Beatles.

People like James Taylor (a favorite George's and part of the original non-Beatle stable of Appel Records recording artists) may neevr hav ebeen brought to a larger audience. The Rolling Stones didn't bother writing their own stuff until they got the inspiration from the Beatles, and early on had a couple UK hits like "I Wanna Be Your Man" from somgs written by Lennon-McCartney. Ditto for Petula Clark and Cecilia Black (I know..who?).

Abbey Road still gets mucho airplay in my CD player. Hard to believe its been almost 25 years since Lennon was killed.

As for the teeny-bopper early music comments...well, think about it this way. Thats yet another influence that the Beatles put on modern music. These days, to break into the commercial music industry, you have to make music that is appealing to the overall population first off. Music that will get airplay, simplistic styles and easy to remember lyrics.

Then, when you have the perverbial "populations attention", you can start to make music that YOU feel is important to YOU. It happens all the time in modern music now, and it happened in the early 60's when The Beatles were touching down in the United States of America for the first time.

"And in the end, the love you take.....is equal to the love....you make."

I know one of you will give me a long, detailed answer on this so here it goes.  I'm only 17, but a beatles fan.  Not a fanatic, but a fan.  Could any of you oldies tell me what exactly was their big influence on music/society and why they are put on such a high pedestal?

in a word----talent :headbang

As for the teeny-bopper early music comments...well, think about it this way. Thats yet another influence that the Beatles put on modern music.

That's a hell of a point, Capn. A really good point. If that is the case, then no one has even sniffed the level of success the Beatles did, or appealed to the masses so successfully.

Except for maybe the New Kids On The Block.

:lolhitting

As for the teeny-bopper early music comments...well, think about it this way. Thats yet another influence that the Beatles put on modern music.

That's a hell of a point, Capn.  A really good point.  If that is the case, then no one has even sniffed the level of success the Beatles did, or appealed to the masses so successfully. 

Except for maybe the New Kids On The Block. 

:lolhitting

off the mark there PT

The Beatles did not ever do teeny bopper music. I suggest that it would be helpful to seriously listen to what was popular music in 1963 in America. Bobby Vinton type pop stuff. Beach Boys. Jan and Dean. Rock and roll was dying as a music form.

Because the Beatles music is so familiar to those who were born after that time, and especially might I say for those born after 1970 when the Beatles had already disbanded, what gets lost is the concept, the reality, of how revolutionary their music was. There was nothing like it before. It definately was not teeny bopper music.

What was radical and a sea change then has become the music many here were raised on watching Muppets and other such as that, wjhatever it was. The revolutionary aspect of what the Beatles put forth in 1964 is not realized. And by 1966 they had moved incredible distance and were exploring every type of new musical pssoibility. Revolver and Rubber Soul were albums that took huge leaps over what had ever been done before. Sgt. Peppers was as is from another planet. They used 4 track I believe on that - never ever done before. Do people believe that Henry Ford's first car he ever built was a 2001 Mustang? Gees. The technology was almost not even in infant stages yet and the Beatles were experimenting with sounds never before heard. Their collective creative reaches were leap years beyond anything ever done - as true in 1967 as in was in 1964 and there is no band, no band ever, no musician, who ever grew and experiemented and changed as radically as the Beatles did in a 3 year period. No one heard what they heard and put it on vinyl and that kicked down the door for everyone else to come through.

And what was the Beatles music of 1964? Certainly not teeny bopper stuff. It was not light fluff. It was hard driving, it was incredibly and radically different from everything out there. Looking back, it wass joyful, infectious, with a solidity of sound that was totally creative and new and light years away from what was pop music before Meet the Beatles was released in America. And the next stage - when the Beatles discovered power chords (which did not exist until them especially with I Feel Fine), feedback, distortion, minor chords - songs like If I Fell and And I Love Her may sound awfully familiar now but they were real experiments with minor chords - unheard of in rock and roll or pop music of any kind.

Again, because it is so familiar to those who grew up post Beatles, if one is into grunge or alt or indistrial or heavy metal or indies, yes, the Beatles early stuff sound slight - but be very fair - put it into the context of its times and then listen again and hear the new things that the Beatles were doing, far, far, far beyond anything that is tenny booper s***. Some of may hear it that way becauise it was so familiar in culture as you grew up. But it was not familiar when they did it, it was not the music of teeny bopper lightweights, it was bursting with an energy and a creativity and a restlessness that just blew music apart. And it was heavily despised by the "adult music world" who saw in the Beatles the death of pop and something that could not fathom.

When I hear "I want to hold your hand" now, I do think to myself, why did people get so upset about that? But then I remember - because it was a huge radical leap into a totally new sound and one that was not controlled by adults but an actual musical form that was solely owned by very young men. Even that the Beatles wrote their own songs - hey, that was not done in rock and roll or pop in the 50s and 60s. That itself was a revolutuonary act and beyond the ability of the adult world to control. So many things that are taken for granted now were explosively new with the huge impact of the Beatles.

I won't get into the Beatles impact on hair styles, clothing (every day you wear jeans everywhere you go or as a male clothes that have color in them, or even a tshirt and cap, thank the Beatles, that was not done prior to them), the resdiscovery of American blues and roots music by white Americans who were redirected back to it by the Beatles, the impact on culture - on literature as authors like Tom Wolfe attempted to write in ways that reflected the new energy of the Beatles-present cultural scene - religion (the famous as./more famous than Jesus thing) art (Yoko was one of the first performance artists as one of the last gasps of dadaism), politics (Revolution was only part of a politcal statement that saw fruition in diverse things as the childrens crusade for Eugene McCarthy to the radical political groups) and everything that became known as the Youth Culture - it all started in 1964 at the Ed Sullivan theatre - and yes it is true that John and Paul taught Mick and Keith how to write a lyric and a tune - and the Beatles were out there in ront as a group and as individuals, not mastering every musical form but pointing the way by the experimentation to all kinds of new msuical expressions. Even Haight Asbury, the San Francisco sound, of Janis and Grace and the Dead and QMS and so many - there was George who had already established it as the place with his street live seranade of How Does it Feel to Be On of the Beautiful People...

Kurt Colbein studied the Beatles and there is something very Beatlesque in Nirvana - and the influence is found in a lot of places directly or as heritage several creative steps removed - as it should be.

God blessed us with the Beatles. Not everyone liked them then. Not everyone likes them now. If someone were to call Casablanca the greatest American movie ever, surely there will be those who will say it isn't - and that's ok - not everyone agrees on everything -

I am comfortable enough with what I have seen myself in my own lifetime and that the academics are now teaching that in the universities of our nation. I know that my experence here has found it support in scholarship. Some people gainsay - hell, some people boo Frank. Its all ok. Its all ok. We were never created to all be clones of one another. to the Beatles :cheers :cheers :cheers and to those who have a widely divergent viewpoint but are at least thinking :cheers :cheers :cheers and to those who are our friends becuase what we all need is love :cheers :cheers :cheers