Personal Days

sox4lifeinPA

If you have "sick" time to use, do you think it's (un)ethical to call in "sick" if you're

1) not really sick and just want to chill out for a day.

2) not really sick and have errands and things to do that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise

3) not really physically sick, but could use a mental day to refresh yourself

4) sick, but could still function correctly and not be miserable at work.

5) exhausted from working out and staying up too late

etc...

If you have "sick" time to use, do you think it's (un)ethical to call in "sick" if you're

2) not really sick and have errands and things to do that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise

etc...

To be quite honest, it depends on the company I work for. The company I work for now gives us s***ty pay, benefits and just generally treats us s***ty. So I use my sick days much more liberally. Where I used to work I never called off unless I was dying. I had a ton of respect for them, and they reciprocated it.

To be quite honest, it depends on the company I work for.  The company I work for now gives us s***ty pay, benefits and just generally treats us s***ty.    So I use my sick days much more liberally.  Where I used to work I never called off unless I was dying.  I had a ton of respect for them, and they reciprocated it.

well, I've mentioned some of the exploits here at credit union de crap..

so I decided to take a personal day. I've been feeling drained anyway, plus others have been out sick over the last couple days, and I needed to get some stuff done......like talk on soxtalk :rolleyes: :lol:

well, I've mentioned some of the exploits here at credit union de crap..

so I decided to take a personal day. I've been feeling drained anyway, plus others have been out sick over the last couple days, and I needed to get some stuff done......like talk on soxtalk :rolleyes:  :lol:

Gee I hope we can make you feel better. If you care to buy a premium membership, email me your credit card information . . .

I only used them if I was sick, or there was a playoff game, of I had something really important to do.

see, if I were actually trying to bring home the bacon for my family, I'd take it more seriously. There's lots of things I do respect about my job, I just feel, like Southsider said, I they respected me more, I'd respect them. It's my right to have sick time, and I'll use it from time to time. I have 3 months left there anyway.

My company gives us 5 sick days and told us we can't use them as personal days and that we can't plan a sick day. I say the hell with them. If they didn't give us any sick days our pay would be more (The days and vac. days, benefits, etc are all worked into the salary, whether they'll admit it or not.) Sooo... I take 'em whenever I feel like it and I let the guys in my dept. know about it in advance. It's like this: either call on the morning of and possibly screw the guys I work with or let them know the day before so they can be prepared. Simple really.

My company gives us 5 sick days and told us we can't use them as personal days and that we can't plan a sick day. I say the hell with them. If they didn't give us any sick days our pay would be more (The days and vac. days, benefits, etc are all worked into the salary, whether they'll admit it or not.) Sooo... I take 'em whenever I feel like it and I let the guys in my dept. know about it in advance. It's like this: either call on the morning of and possibly screw the guys I work with or let them know the day before so they can be prepared. Simple really.

That's exactly how it works at our desk. And basically unless someone is screwing the desk (calling off during important time periods) no one really cares.

that my friend Mr Eye is really stupid management on your employers part

answer to the ethics question of PA - are you indeed sick?

sick of work?

then to take a day off because you are sick of the place indeed is a sick day.

you are ethically ok on this.

etc...

I think all of those reasons are legit as long as they occur in moderation, and not every Tuesday.

As for your reason #4, I personally HATE it when people in my office come in sick. I don't want someone coming in spreading germs around and getting me ill. Stay the hell home!

that my friend Mr Eye is really stupid management on your employers part

answer to the ethics question of PA - are you indeed sick?

sick of work?

then to take a day off because you are sick of the place indeed is a sick day.

you are ethically ok on this.

No. I don't get sick at all. I usually use them when the trains are behind and I don't feel like driving up (I live 40 miles from work). Or during a real bad snow storm.

I agree with you about that being stupid on Management's part. They just don't get it. It's cool, though. My Manager and the VP of the dept agree with me. Screw HR. What they don't know don't hurt 'em.

I average .5 sick days per month. In all honesty, I'm a bank teller, I TRY not to use it on a peak day like friday.... usually my "planned" sick day is a wednesday.

I just think it's a mistake for an employer to give me 8 hours of sick time, unless they think I'm not going to use it. I understand that we should save it for a real sick incident, but I have 40 hours stashed away already...any time I use now is just my monthly acrued. so, I'm ok, I think.

Our company just gives us PTO. So, you're sick, personal, vacation, it's all good and that's why we have it - to use it.

PTO is better IMO then tracking everything (vacation, sick, personal) separate.

We get 18 PTO days for the first year of employment, which I think is pretty darn good.

We get 18 PTO days for the first year of employment, which I think is pretty darn good.

Got to agree - I had none unless you count the 1.5 days paid leave for my grandmother's funeral.

This year I get 2 weeks vacation and we are allowed 5 sick/personal days.

I worked for a company that used PTO.. but only hourly employees got the benefit. I worked up to 60-65 hour weeks back then and only got PTO accrual for 40. Where I'm at now the package is 22 vacation/personal days for years 1-4, 27 for 5-9, 32 for 10-14, and over 15 gets 40 days. Although exempt employees (higher mgmt and execs) get some additional benefits. Everyone gets 8 sick days a year. And all the days are use them or loose them.

I dont have that luxury. When I get sick I have to go sit in the clinic till a doc sees me then I get sent back to work with the same over the counter medicine I have in my bathroom. Personally I just prefer to go to work. When I want to f*** off on the job I just make myself disappear for a couple of hours.

I do get 30 days vacation a year so that kinda makes up for it.

I do get 30 days vacation a year so that kinda makes up for it.

if only you were in the Texas National Giard you could take a year off at a time, just not show up...

talk about making yourself disappear! :lol:

I am now ducking befoe the nuke blasts my way :headbang :headbang :usa :lol: :lol: :usa

if only you were in the Texas National Giard you could take a year off at a time, just not show up...

talk about making yourself disappear!  :lol:

I am now ducking befoe the nuke blasts my way  :headbang  :headbang    :usa  :lol:  :lol:  :usa

As opposed to another certain someone who spent his Vietnam days in Moscow telling our arch enemies how horrible America is and is also the same someone who said he "Loathes" the military.

I dont have that luxury.  When I get sick I have to go sit in the clinic till a doc sees me then I get sent back to work with the same over the counter medicine I have in my bathroom.

Oh, quit your whining! You service boys have it easy. Try having a REAL job. :lol:

talk about making yourself disappear!  :lol:

I am now ducking befoe the nuke blasts my way  :headbang  :headbang    :usa  :lol:  :lol:  :usa

Uh -oh! :unsure: