Giants frontrunners for Maddux

Chisoxfn

Supposedly they are getting close to signing him although the Dodgers are making a late push trying to get the finances in order to get Maddux.

I gotta say, Boras must of done his job because I never though Maddux would get 10 mill for one year, let alone 10 mill per for two years.

Wow will the cubbie kool-aid be swimming tomorrow on how the cubs were played in the whole affair. I wouldn't be surprised if the deal with the Giants was on the table all winter and Boras was allowed to field offers as he appears tight with Giant Management.

Here will be the Chicago media take; Hendry made a run at it as oppossed to if this was the Sox, they played it cheap.

I think he'll end up on the west coast, I just don't know where the Giants all of the sudden found 20 million dollars. Which makes me believe the dollar amount isn't true.

That's a very good point. The Giants were supposed to be payroll handicapped this year. WTF?

That's a very good point.  The Giants were supposed to be payroll handicapped this year.  WTF?

Don't the Giants draw well over a 3M fans and play in a huge market. Their current payroll is $74M. I think they could easily stomach $84M, although I am not part of their front office so what do I know, especially if Alfonzo (he is with them rignt?) can be dealt to the Yanks.

Don't the Giants draw well over a 3M fans and play in a huge market.  Their current payroll is $74M.  I think they could easily stomach $84M, although I am not part of their front office so what do I know,  especially if Alfonzo (he is with them rignt?) can be dealt to the Yanks.

The Giants built Pac Bell Park with their own money. The debt load on that stadium is huge and is limiting their cash flow, hence the lower payroll this year. They could deal Alfonzo to the Yankees, but I have read conflicting reports over whether they want to move him.

I am not sure where they would get the money for Maddux, but it has been reported that Maddux would accept a backloaded contract, with possibly some of it deferred.

My guess is that he will still end up with the Cubs, with the Dodgers as plan B.

Don't the Giants draw well over a 3M fans and play in a huge market. Their current payroll is $74M

Slightly OT: think about this:

1. Giants are playing in a bigger market.

2. Giants draw 3.3 Mill fans without employing half-price/freebie tactics, and the average ticket price there is higher.

3. It takes more money to win NLW than to win ALC.

4. And yet Sox fans are in their usual "White flags are falling!" pre-season hysteria even though OUR the payroll is only 10 Mill less.

Hmm.....