Speeding Ticket

kapkomet

HELSINKI, Finland - Police gave a record $216,900 speeding ticket to a millionaire under a system in which traffic fines are linked to an offender's income.

The Iltalehti tabloid reported that millionaire Jussi Salonoja zoomed through the city center last weekend in a 25 mph zone and police handed him a ticket of $216,900. It didn't say what his speed was.

The fine was based on information they got directly for the inland revenue office, the Tuesday report said.

Salonoja, 27, could not be reached for comment, and police declined to discuss the alleged speeding incident until it reaches the Helsinki Regional Court at a later date.

Although it's the costliest ticket to date, it's not the first with a big price tag.

Two years ago, Anssi Vanjoki, then executive vice president of Nokia's mobile phones division, landed a $148,000 ticket after being caught doing 46 mph in a 31 mph zone on a motorcycle.

It was later lowered to about $7,500 after he showed a court that his income had dropped, but not before Finns flew into a rage over the high fine. But, after weeks of Parliament debates, discussions on TV shows and expressions of disgust in the media, Finns did nothing and the system remained.

Other hefty speeding tickets have included a $71,000 one for a professional hockey player and one for $190,000 given to one of Finland's wealthiest people.

I had a BS ticket about 5 years ago. I had a crack in my windshield, farely fresh, but nothing that obstructed my view of the road.

I went into work one day, 8 hours later I come out and there is a ticket for $75 on my windshield because it was cracked. I wasn't even driving when I got the ticket. That lazy ass cop wrote it out while I was in work, the jagbag. I had never heard of anything like this before it happened to me.

I had a BS ticket about 5 years ago. I had a crack in my windshield, farely fresh, but nothing that obstructed my view of the road.

I went into work one day, 8 hours later I come out and there is a ticket for $75 on my windshield because it was cracked. I wasn't even driving when I got the ticket. That lazy ass cop wrote it out while I was in work, the jagbag. I had never heard of anything like this before it happened to me.

Oh wow, that's bad.

I better go get my windshield fixed then.

:lol:

Oh wow, that's bad.

I better go get my windshield fixed then. 

:lol:

That's usually 100% covered by your auto insurance, because it is a potential safety issue. It's such a racket with auto glass companies fighting for the business down here (so they can submit inflated bills to the insurance companies) that usually you can even find a glass company that throws in a box of steaks or something to get you to use them.

I wonder if there is a higher % of suspicious cracked windows during peak BBQ season...?