Sox sign: Burke, Morales, Loaiza, Heredia, Cooper,

Heads22

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean Cliff Brumbaugh? :D

Good...I like these moves a lot....all of them. We should be making no more moves the rest of the offseason. We have depth at catcher, we have another option for a starter(Loaiza), we have lefty power off the bench, or in other words, a better version of Jeff Liefer....we are set. We have enough depth to compete now....I'm relieved.

they also invited all of them to ST, and 10 others, and here they are:

Honel, 20, Chicago’s first-round selection in the 2001 draft, was rated by Baseball America as the No. 4 prospect in the White Sox organization. The 6-foot-5-inch, 190-pound right-hander went to Providence High School.

Miles, 26, was the Southern League Player of the Year with Class AA Birmingham in 2002. He led the league in hits (171) and doubles (39) and ranked second in average (.322).

The other non-roster invitees are pitchers Wyatt Allen, Byeong Hak An, and Neal Cotts, catcher Jonathan Aceves, infielder Jorge Nunez, and outfielders Scott Morgan, Anthony Sanders, and Mario Valenzuela.

All except Cotts and Nunez were part of the Sox minor league system last season. Cotts came to the Sox from Oakland as part of the Billy Koch deal; Nunez came over from the Expos as part of the Bartolo Colon deal.

Valenzuela, assigned to Triple-A Charlotte, was injured all of the 2002 season. And Sanders has played in 13 major league games with Toronto (1999) and Seattle (2000-01).

These were good moves. Brian Cooper is a guy that was pretty good with the Angels a couple years ago if I recall. He was then dealt to like the Reds and I never heard of him. I see he was with the Jays last year.

Daubach is a real solid pickup and Gil Heredia is nice too. He was pretty good a couple years ago.

As far as Loiza guys, its another solid move. We really have a lot more depth now, just in case.

Gonna try to dig up some more info on the other guys.

I like Daubach. He becomes our lefty off the bench. Does Daubach plays OF bcoz we have too much 1B?

Yeah, Daubach can be an outfielder.

Guys, I hate/love to point this out....but with the signing of Daubach, does this make Lee available for trade? :huh: He is one of KW's boys, but Daubach is a good lefty-power hitter with better defense than Carlos, Carlos makes more money this year....anybody thinking that it might be true?

I like Daubach. He becomes our lefty off the bench. Does Daubach plays OF bcoz we have too much 1B?

Yeah, Daubach can be an outfielder.

Guys, I hate/love to point this out....but with the signing of Daubach, does this make Lee available for trade? :huh: He is one of KW's boys, but Daubach is a good lefty-power hitter with better defense than Carlos, Carlos makes more money this year....anybody thinking that it might be true?

no :nono

Daubach has always been solid since I can remember in his years with the Red Sox. I think he is definitely an upgrade over Jeff Liefer and will be a great bat either off the bench or spliced into the middle of our right-handed lineup. He should make the team barring injury and provide just some more good solid veteran leadership in the clubhouse. This is a good pickup IMO.

Daubach has hit 20 HRs for the last 4 years. This is a good signing. I think he will make the roster and Rios may not make it. We needed a lefty power bat and we got it now on bench. I thought our bench was our weakness before but Daubach will really be a big help.

Half these guys might be released in march, but Loaiza, Cooper, And Daubach are solid pick ups. Not sure on some of the others, but these moves cant hurt since all of them wont make the team.

Is KW becoming a real GM??????? :o

Either that or drugs are impairing his backwards judgement.

this is how i look at t he carlos lee situation...he makes 4.2 million this year...last year of his contract...next year he is arbitration eligable...if he has similiar numbers to last year he probably ios looking at 6 million easy from the arbitrator...NO FRIGGEN WAY do you pay carlos lee 6 million...NEVER...i doubt any other team will pay him that much either so next year he becomes untradable...the only option...he becimes a non-tendered free agent and we get nothing for him...move him now...while he is still affordable to some team...let daubach play LF...maybe we could get a decent starter for lee...or a functional CF...daubach probably sux as a LF..but he cant be worse than lee...no one is...

we could have very well signed daubach to replace lee...thats if kenny has learned to think that far ahead...

the other signings...burke hit 305 last year at salt lake city.... i like it..any catcher that has AAA experience is ahead of what we have after paul...and that catcher could be our number 2 guy not if but whne alomor goes on the 60 day DL and if paul is lost due to being out of options...so burke could be our number 2 catcher before long...

the rest...loiaza sucks..heredia is well past being a has been...cooper im not sure about..never heard of him...others are a waste

Do all those moves screw over any AA players looking to move up?  If we keep some of these trash heaps do we then forgoe anybody with a purpose?

I don't even think that we had a AAA catcher...except hopefully when Josh Paul goes down, so this at least gives us some depth there. I love these moves...little risk...help push younger guys along...plus I think Daubach can help us out.

Do all those moves screw over any AA players looking to move up?  If we keep some of these trash heaps do we then forgoe anybody with a purpose?

I don't even think that we had a AAA catcher...except hopefully when Josh Paul goes down, so this at least gives us some depth there. I love these moves...little risk...help push younger guys along...plus I think Daubach can help us out.

Lee Evans and Delasandro were the expected AAA catchers and they are nothing special at all. That Burke guy sounds pretty good. As far as the older pitchers, I doubt they'll hold any prospects back.

Isn't Salt Lake City the Twins AAA affiliate? This move could come back to hurt the Twins, or atleast Burke could.

Then again, just from the stats(and nothing else), he seems like he could be a Josh Paul type....all-offense, no-defense type catcher...a .305 average is probably a .280 average in the majors...let's hope he can play a lick of defense.

Half these guys might be released in march, but Loaiza, Cooper, And Daubach are solid pick ups. Not sure on some of the others, but these moves cant hurt since all of them wont make the team.

Is KW becoming a real GM??????? :o

man kw is really doing some stuff this winter. at least he gave us some info to write about now until this weekend.

what is intriguing is daubach and loaiza signing. i think they are great pickups. now we can trade c lee.

Loaiza is a decent starter...can put up 10 wins and a 4.50 ERA with 175-190 innings or so a year...I think he's most definately a AAA pitcher who can come up when necessary. That's good....now we have more depth than just Josh Stewart or Matt Ginter(scary thought) if one of our starters goes down. That was a good move.

The bad thing is is the fact that he basically puts up Todd Ritchie numbers...so he'd probably go 5-15 with us and have an ERA of over 6.00! :D