Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

KipWellsFan

I just watched this movie by Jim Jarmusch starring Forrest Whitaker. One of the best movies I've seen in a while. This is a very slick movie, with touching and funny moments along the way. I rarely give movies 10 out of 10 unless they are almost perfect. This one was very close to a 10, the only detractor was some unconvincing mob bosses who had limited screen time. If you haven't seen this movie and you are a fan of gangster movies,samurai movies or just movies it is a must see.

By the way it has a great soundtrack which went very well with the movie. It was composed by Rza who also did a great job on Kill Bill vol.1.

Check it out

Ghost Dog

This one was very close to a 10, the only detractor was some unconvincing mob bosses who had limited screen time.

Dude, I think you ought to get over the old mafia stereotypes...Mob bosses come in greaseballs of all shapes and sizes.

Secondly....For-Dub is so underrated. Among Black actors, Danzel and SLJ get all the hype, but FW, Don Cheadle and Geoffrey Wright are equally if not more talented.

The language/comminication barrier thing and the Art of War samurai stuff were best parts of the movie, even if they had to Soprano it up in the end.

Along with the Limey, Ghostdog is a low-key, but quality and fairly original flick. I dunno about 9 stars out of 10, but 7 out 10 for sure.

Edit: The guy who directed GHOSTDOG, also directed Dead Man-- that beautiful, hypnotic B&W Western with Johnny Depp/Robert Mitchum/Lance Henriksen/Crispin Glover/John Hurt/Gabriel Byrne/Alfred Molina/Billy Bob Thorton/Iggy Pop. Neil Young wrote score.

I just watched this movie by Jim Jarmusch starring Forrest Whitaker.  One of the best movies I've seen in a while.  This is a very slick movie, with touching and funny moments along the way.  I rarely give movies 10 out of 10 unless they are almost perfect.  This one was very close to a 10, the only detractor was some unconvincing mob bosses who had limited screen time.  If you haven't seen this movie and you are a fan of gangster movies,samurai movies or just movies it is a must see.

By the way it has a great soundtrack which went very well with the movie.  It was composed by Rza who also did a great job on Kill Bill vol.1.

Check it out

Ghost Dog

Haven't seen the movie but if you like Jim Jarmusch, check out "Mystery Train". Believe it came out in the 80's...top notch.

Dude, I think you ought to get over the old mafia stereotypes...Mob bosses come in greaseballs of all shapes and sizes.

Secondly....For-Dub is so underrated. Among Black actors,  Danzel and SLJ get all the hype, but FW, Don Cheadle and Geoffrey Wright are equally if not more talented.   

The language/comminication barrier thing and the Art of War samurai stuff were best parts of the movie, even if they had to Soprano it up in the end.

Along with the Limey, Ghostdog is a low-key, but quality and fairly original flick. I dunno about 9 stars out of 10, but 7 out 10 for sure. 

Edit:  The guy who directed GHOSTDOG, also directed Dead Man-- that beautiful, hypnotic B&W Western with Johnny Depp/Robert Mitchum/Lance Henriksen/Crispin Glover/John Hurt/Gabriel Byrne/Alfred Molina/Billy Bob Thorton/Iggy Pop. Neil Young wrote score.

I just thought the acting of the mob guys other that Louie and Vargo weren't very good that's all.

I just thought the acting of the mob guys other that Louie and Vargo weren't very good that's all.

You're probably right.

I was just saying-- and any FBI agent who works in that field posting on this board will back me up on this-- that mobsters come in all colors, shapes and sizes. I think now people expect them all to look and talk like Pussy or Unclue Jun.

You seen Dead Man? If you don;t mind the slow pace, mysticism, etc-- it's better than Ghost Dog. For William Blake and Johnny Depp fans.

You're probably right.

I was just saying-- and any FBI agent who works in that field posting on this board will back me up on this-- that mobsters come in all colors, shapes and sizes. I think now people expect them all to look and talk like Pussy or Unclue Jun.

You seen Dead Man? If you don;t mind the slow pace, mysticism, etc-- it's better than Ghost Dog. For William Blake and Johnny Depp fans.

This is the first Jarmusch movie I've ever seen, but I notice he really hasn't made that many movies. But after watching this movie I've become intrigued and I'll definitely have to see it sometime, somehow.

This is the first Jarmusch movie I've ever seen, but I notice he really hasn't made that many movies.  But after watching this movie I've become intrigued and I'll definitely have to see it sometime, somehow.

Jarmush hasn't made many movies for the same reason Terrence Malick (Badlands) has been pretty quiet lately: there is little market for the art-house independent fare, for visionaries who challenge......and all the the financing/distribution problems stem from that simple fact.

Seriously...how many people on this board liked Dead Man? Badlands? Adaptation? Miller's Crossing? The Sweet Hereafter? Lost in Translation? Punch-Drunk Love?

**crickets chirping***

Seriously...how many people on this board liked Dead Man?  Badlands?  Adaptation?  Miller's Crossing?  The Sweet Hereafter? Lost in Translation? Punch-Drunk Love?

**crickets chirping***

Having rugrats under foot has seriously cut into my intake of artsy film. Add to that my wife "hates having to read films" [insert whiny voice here], so I don't get to see much foriegn fare these days either.

I have sen Badlands, Adaptation, and Punch Drunk Love and largely enjoyed all three. Punch drunk love was the first Sandler vehicle I have really enjoyed since the Wedding Singer. I always thought he'd make a convincing psychotic.

And you still haven't pegged my Forest W. quote, Brando. Nothing to... cry over (nudge nudge) I guess...

Having rugrats under foot has seriously cut into my intake of artsy film.  Add to that my wife "hates having to read films" [insert whiny voice here], so I don't get to see much foriegn fare these days either.

I have sen Badlands, Adaptation, and Punch Drunk Love and largely enjoyed all three.  Punch drunk love was the first Sandler vehicle I have really enjoyed since the Wedding Singer.  I always thought he'd make a convincing psychotic.

And you still haven't pegged my Forest W. quote, Brando.  Nothing to... cry over (nudge nudge) I guess...

Oh the CRYING GAME you bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for brining up what I tried so hard to suppress!!!!!!!!!

Miranda Richardson = :notworthy :notworthy

Have no idea.

Let me throw you a curveball while we're on the subject, FSJ:

Some are Born to sweet delight

Some are Born to endless night

Recite the whole thing.

You're throwing lollipops, Brother. That's Agatha Christie oriGinally, but later coopted by the Doors on "End of the Night" off of their first album.

The Christie verse starts out like this...

Every night and every morn, Some to misery are born....

Next!

You're throwing lollipops, Brother.  That's Agatha Christie oriGinally, but later coopted by the Doors on "End of the Night" off of their first album.

The Christie verse starts out like this...

Every night and every morn, Some to misery are born....

Next!

William Blake = :wub:

Every Night & every Morn

Some to Misery are Born.

Every Night & every Morn

Some are Born to sweet delight.

Some are Born to sweet delight,

Some are Born to Endless Night.

We are led to Believe a Lie

When we see not Thro' the Eye,

Which was Born in a Night, to perish in a Night,

When the Soul Slept in Beams of Light.

God Appears & God is Light

To those poor Souls who dwell in Night,

But does a Human Form Display

To those who Dwell in Realms of Day.

But I liked Mrs. Maples's version, too. :headbang :lol:

I have sen Badlands, Adaptation, and Punch Drunk Love and largely enjoyed all three. Punch drunk love was the first Sandler vehicle I have really enjoyed since the Wedding Singer. I always thought he'd make a convincing psychotic.

Yeah, Sandler was very good. I expected nothing, literally. Of course it helps that he was acting opposite one hellava actress. What a quirky movie though. Are you a fan of Anderson? Boogie Nights is one of my favorites, such a quality ensemble, too.

You probably didn't see Dead Man, but I am suprised about Miller's Crossing and Sweet Hereafter. Both movies are among my all-time faves The latter stars Sir Ian Holm (the one Sir Ian who get criminally little attention-- you know him from Time Bandits and Alien), the mother character from Spank the Monkey and that awesome Canadien teen acress Sarah Polley, and the former is a Coen Bros 20's gangster ode.

You so f***in' got me with the Crying Game, I fell out of my chair when you gave that clue.

I was actually gonna ask you about FW's Bird portrayal.

It's been a long time since I've seen Bird, but I liked the film and took Clint seriuosly as a director after that. A lot of people thought the film dwelled too nuch on the drug addiction side of Charlie Parker and not on his genius (I LOVE Parker, btw, and I don't think 'genius' does the man justice). But, hell, his life was tragic and tormented, and he shouldn't have died as young as he did, so I never faulted the film for its grimey mood.

I honestly don't recall much of Whittaker's performance, and I actually remember whoever it was that played Gillespe as being maybe a little more believable in the role. Maybe Whitttaker was still too fresh in my mind in his recent role in my boy Barry L's Good Morning Viet Nam for me to completely buy him as Parker. I think those were the first films I ever noted hiim in, but I may have seen hime before that.

You mean Sir Ian "Bilbo Baggins" Holm?  I also noticed he was in Naked Lunch which I caught like half of on late night cable a month or so back.

Never saw Naked Lunch. Entirely too many movies out there to see them all in just a couple-year period in which I started paying attention to "good" movies. :D

Saw Naked, though, with Cannes award winning Brit lead. :huh