Kurkjan on the Dodgers

aboz56

By Tim Kurkjian

ESPN The Magazine

The sale of the Dodgers finally is complete. One of the great franchises in baseball history is in the hands of Boston land baron Frank McCourt, who, from all accounts, is a good guy, a smart guy, a guy who is committed to restoring the Dodgers to prominence after eight seasons without a division/pennant winner, their longest such drought since the 1930s.

It's not going to be easy, or quick. McCourt and his investors are not impossibly rich as are some owners. His team is largely mediocre, deep in pitching, epically bad on offense.

The payroll, McCourt says, will not be sliced this year, meaning it will stay at roughly $100 million. A swift, extensive impact through trades or free agency does not appear likely. It's too late for that. The Dodgers had their chances but for one reason or another could not acquire Brian Giles, Richie Sexson, Magglio Ordonez, Nomar Garciaparra, Derrek Lee or Vladimir Guerrero over the last six months, leaving the Dodgers with a team that scored only one more run last year than the Red Sox scored in the first half of the season.

That inactivity likely will cost general manager Dan Evans his job, perhaps before the beginning of spring training next week. His probable replacement could come from Oakland: A's assistant GM Paul DePodesta was, sources say, very impressive in his interview. Oakland GM Billy Beane has twice been denied permission by A's ownership to talk to the Dodgers, but there's a remote chance he could end up in L.A.

The sale of the team, which took longer than expected given the close examination of McCourt's finances, somewhat handcuffed the Dodgers in their attempts to acquire a hitter. And, as Evans promised when he took the job 2½ years ago, he would not sacrifice young pitching in return for immediate help on offense. Admirable and logical indeed, but when your team scores 574 runs -- fewer than the Tigers -- and 333 fewer than the Braves, a hitter must be acquired. Last year, the Dodgers tied the NL record (with the 1907 Cubs) for the largest ERA gap -- .56 -- between the league ERA leader and second-best in the league, but they finished 15½ games out of first place. In today's game, teams have to score a lot of runs to win. The 2003 Dodgers scored fewer runs than the '66 Dodgers, who played in a completely different era than the offensive age that we have today.

a_odalis_vt.jpg

Odalis Perez could be headed to the White Sox.

The Dodgers do have pitching to deal. They have seven starting pitchers: Hideo Nomo, Odalis Perez, Kaz Ishii, Darren Dreifort, Edwin Jackson, Wilson Alvarez and Jeff Weaver. Plus, they have some interest in Greg Maddux, but at the moment, that appears to be a secondary option. An Odalis Perez-for-Frank Thomas trade has been rumored, but can Thomas play first base every day? The Dodgers could move right fielder Shawn Green to first base and go after an outfielder. Or two. They need at least two more big bats. The seven-man rotation is a bit deceiving. Dreifort is not a certainty to be healthy given his history of injuries. Jackson was wildly impressive last year, but he has made three major league starts. Alvarez was shockingly good in his return to the big leagues last year; can he do that again? And Weaver is coming off an utterly miserable season in New York.

Changes likely won't happen until the front office situation is resolved. Maybe DePodesta, a brilliant guy who has learned well from Beane, will be the man who begins the turnaround of the Dodgers. But whoever runs the Dodgers will have to do it without outrageous sums of money. It's possible that the payroll will be pared to roughly $85 million in 2005, which still would be more than any team in the NL West.

It's time for the Dodgers to start to winning again. They have the right man to do it in McCourt, even though he's not loaded with money. After their changes in the front office, they should be able to move forward. Good days are ahead. It's just going to take some time.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I see this crap the Peanuts teacher's voice comes into my head..

"Wa, wa, wa, wa, wa, wa..... "

Kurkjan is actually a pretty good writer and knows his stuff, like him or not.

We all know that we aren't dealing Frank for Odalis though, then again that possibility wasn't even mentioned in this article. The line about Odalis was just a caption underneath Odalis's picture.

indeed

you gotta believe if Kenny Williams could get frank out of town and get any kind of pitcher for him he'd do the deal.

Why?

To get him outta the clubhouse.

To get out of the rest of the contract.

To end the continuing PR nightmare.

And to let the Dodgers take the hit in case this is the year Frank takes a major decline (which is inevitable one of these years, considering his age and size).

Perez and a pitching prospect, and I'd pull the trigger.

But, remember, Frank would have to approve any deal.

Franks' buddy over at the other board has said Frank has already approved a deal to the Dodgers. If this is true, who knows. It was also stated the players have to be worked out, i.e. who comes to the Sox.

But I do agree ... this has been going on forever, yak yak yak wah wah wah, etc.

WBBM AM-780 was talking about Thomas possibly going to the Dodgers in all of their sports updates today (along with the usual Greg Maddux chatter).

I would not be shocked to see something happen before spring training starts.

He might be a good writer, but it doesn't mean that Tim K knows anything we haven't already heard. He is just putting into print the rumor that's been out there. I think the story as written raises doubts that it will ever happen. Once again, we all in unison exclaim that a Perez-Thomas even up trade is nonsense and the Sox better see more in the way of top prospects added for FT or for the matter Konerko.

I want a decent pitcher as much as anybody, but I really don't want Frank to leave.

Even when he has a "bad season", he hits bombs and drives in runs.

I agree! Even if there is a game that I'm at where it happens to be a real "Snoozer,"

when Frank comes to bat, some excitement builds up to see if he's going to "Unload" one, and bring new life into the fans, as well as the game. That guy really hits probably the hardest line drives I have ever seen anyone hit. He's fun and exciting to watch.

Actually.. I believe Kenny WOULD trade Frank for a bag of peanuts.. thankfully, Jerry wont let him.

Oh come on, you people make KW sound like a complete dumbass. Granted he's made some bad moves, but he's not about to trade one of the greatest players in Sox history for s***, the media and fans would have his head and he knows it.

Oh come on, you people make KW sound like a complete dumbass. Granted he's made some bad moves, but he's not about to trade one of the greatest players in Sox history for s***, the media and fans would have his head and he knows it.

The media in this town would praise the Sox for dumping Thomas.

, we get another Jon Garland....for Thomas

Judy is more than 2 years younger than Perez, has pitched in a hitter's park, in the offense-heavier AL....AND he makes less than HALF of what OP does.

It looks like I am going to have more free time this summer. Which can't be bad.