Rapes in Iraq war?

LowerCaseRepublican

you have over 300,000 military over there , if im not mistaken...gotta figure some of them that have no business being in the military ended up not being screened out in basic..grab 300,000 people of any group and will have your share of good and bad...just cant help that...

what doesnt look good is if reports are true that these women are not being taken seriously..now thats a problem that needs to and could be easily fixed...

another reason why ithink women in combat areas is wrong..there just isnr enough accountability

Well, pardon my language but, oh f***. As a certified advocate for survivors of sexual abuse there are lots of red flags to me in this article:

1.) They have to wait to RETURNING from duty. Meaning they are not getting immediate treatment for the assault--but psychological and medical. This is one of the worst and most damaging things that we worry about.

2.) 37 cases were reported. The FBI and the DOJ ( http://www.feminist.com/antiviolence/facts.html ) estimates that between 26% and 37% of assaults are reported--so this is probably a MUCH larger problem than they are seeing. And I would argue where rank is considered (as in the army) much less women are coming forward because of the power issue.

3.) The women are left in the same place as their alleged attackers? What the hell? This is complete revictimization--and should be considered a re-rape by the U.S. government. Not acceptable--they are leaving themselves WIDE open for a lawsuit, which the women WILL win.

4.) The Vietnam report shows that this is a pattern behavior with at least 20% of female veterans reporting problems with this issue. Clearly we are not dealing with this in a timely matter. They have been many research studies that show we CAN properly educate for change--victim empathy and compassion can be fostered by even 1 hour of interaction with a survivor of sexual abuse. Why the Government has not taken advantage of this knowledge I do not know.

5.) If anyone will be in the Twin Cities next weekend I'm presenting on the topic the Roots of Sexual Violence and Educating for Change at the Nobel Peace Prize Forum (Jimmy Carter will be there) at St. Olaf College on Saturday....You'll hear me and my best friend talk about this and more. Apu thanks for this article--it just shows the far reaching need for education.....

Rape on the battlefield?

As they say, all is fair in love and war.

These fine upstandin' army boys had the wherewithall and ingenuity to combine the two.

They should be commended.

:puke

The only question that remains now is if this will be treated as a war crime by the UN...The way the US treats this actually could create a precedent...Since rape is a war crime--could intra-army rape also be a war crime by keeping certain soldier's "in their place?" Should be interesting.

Great story for Valentine's day Apu... :wub:

Since rape is a war crime--could intra-army rape also be a war crime by keeping certain soldier's "in their place?"

A Few Not So General's Daughters: Electric Boogaloo, starring Maggie Gyllenhall:

--Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have more responsibility here than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's brutal rapes, while tragic and antithetical to everything America ostensibly stands for, probably saved lives. And that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. I know deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you don't want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty, hot piece of defenseless ass. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

--Col. Jessup, did you or did you not order the Code Rape!

--You g*dd*mn ***** I d*d!!!

The only question that remains now is if this will be treated as a war crime by the UN...The way the US treats this actually could create a precedent...Since rape is a war crime--could intra-army rape also be a war crime by keeping certain soldier's "in their place?" Should be interesting.

Great story for Valentine's day Apu... :wub:

These charges will be investigated I'm sure and if they turn out to be substantiated then the offenders will be dealt with.

I'll quote another movie for ya BrandoFan and this'll hit home for the accused.....

"How would you like 40 years of sportf***ing in a military prison?"

*********irreverent humor warning***********

iraqwomen1998.jpg

look at 'em...I've had to change pants 5 times in the last 30 minutes......... there so damn HOT

and they probably put themselves in a situation that led them to get raped................................kidding.

This is one situation the President should take a personal interest in and get it stopped. He is the commander in chief, and every officer who neglected their duty or tried to cover any of these crimes up, answers to Bush. As Harry S. Truman used to say, "The buck stops here."