YASNY time at soxtalk!

cwsox

I am not often here when YASNY is so this is a real oppotunity to say hi in real time :cheers :cheers :cheers

I for one would appreciate YASNY's insights into who was the least competent manager in his opinion for the Sox - I'd have to go with Bevington for the reasons stated in other thrad but am interested in other ideas

my second choice would be Paul Richards redux - the second time he was managing, was he ever awake during a game? His first time was fine, but his second stint - that was not pleasant.

I am not often here when YASNY is so this is a real oppotunity to say hi in real time  :cheers  :cheers  :cheers

I for one would appreciate YASNY's insights into who was the least competent manager in his opinion for the Sox - I'd have to go with Bevington for the reasons stated in other thrad but am interested in other ideas

my second choice would be Paul Richards redux - the second time he was managing, was he ever awake during a game? His first time was fine, but his second stint - that was not pleasant.

Hi cwsox. How goes it?

I'd have to agree on Bevington and Richards. I'd also have to add Don Gutteridge to the equation. Neither Kessinger, nor Doby fared to well either.

Hi cwsox.  How goes it?

I'd have to agree on Bevington and Richards.  I'd also have to add Don Gutteridge to the equation.  Neither Kessinger, nor Doby fared to well either.

Aww come on. You have to admit it was hysterical watching Bevington argue with an umpire and get thrown out of a game.

Seriously though, I disagree and have to say that Manuel was the worst there ever was. That guy couldnt manage his way out of a wet paper bag & couldnt motivate a 6 year old to eat a candy bar.

Aww come on.  You have to admit it was hysterical watching Bevington argue with an umpire and get thrown out of a game.

Seriously though, I disagree and have to say that Manuel was the worst there ever was.  That guy couldnt manage his way out of a wet paper bag & couldnt motivate a 6 year old to eat a candy bar.

No way was Manuel the worst. In fact, he didn't do a bad job over the course of his tenure. It was just time for him to go. The players had stopped responding and everything he tried to do seemed to backfire on him.

Manuel is only one of four Sox managers in my lifetime to actually finish in first place. Lopez, LaRussa, Lamont and Jerry. Hmmmm ... maybe we should go back to managers who's last name begins with "L".

No way was Manuel the worst.  In fact, he didn't do a bad job over the course of his tenure.  It was just time for him to go.  The players had stopped responding and everything he tried to do seemed to backfire on him.

Manuel is only one of four Sox managers in my lifetime to actually finish in first place.  Lopez, LaRussa, Lamont and Jerry.  Hmmmm ... maybe we should go back to managers who's last name begins with "L".

that is well stated as to Manuel.

I had not thought of the "L" connection which actually qualifies me to be manager!

Your additional citations of Gutteridge, Doby, and Kessinger are well said.

No way was Manuel the worst.  In fact, he didn't do a bad job over the course of his tenure.  It was just time for him to go.  The players had stopped responding and everything he tried to do seemed to backfire on him.

Manuel is only one of four Sox managers in my lifetime to actually finish in first place.  Lopez, LaRussa, Lamont and Jerry.  Hmmmm ... maybe we should go back to managers who's last name begins with "L".

Of course two of our WS teams were managed by guys with the letter "G", Griffith and Gleason. Now they both lost the WS(ok, to be accurate, one loss one thrown) but at least they got there which I'd settle for at the moment. So maybe there is some hope for Guillen.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course two of our WS teams were managed by guys with the letter "G", Griffith and Gleason. Now they both lost the WS(ok, to be accurate, one loss one thrown) but at least they got there which I'd settle for at the moment. So maybe there is some hope for Guillen.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Icannot recall when Griffin as our manager lost a world series??????

just double checked Griffith managed us to first AL pennant but there was no world series in 1901

Fielder Jones, world series 1906

Pants Rowland, world series 1917

Gleason was manager of the 1919 team but I do not believe that Griffith for us ever managed a world series losing team or ever managed a team in the world series for us

just double checked  Griffith managed us to first AL pennant but there was no world series in 1901

Fielder Jones, world series 1906

Pants Rowland, world series 1917

Gleason was manager of the 1919 team but I do not believe that Griffith for us ever managed a world series losing team or ever managed a team in the world series for us

Damm you're right, I didn't even think to look that far into it. The first WS was in 1903.

that is well stated as to Manuel.

I had not thought of the "L" connection which actually qualifies me to be manager!

Your additional citations of Gutteridge, Doby, and Kessinger are well said.

The thing is, I liked Kessinger and Doby, though I didn't care for the results. Gutteridge, on the other hand, was horrible.

Back to Bevington...

Didn't the dumbass once go out to take a pitcher out and have no one warming up in the bullpen?  :)

northa dakota buffalo bills friend - we just did that thread a few days ago! :lol:

that is some people's favorite moment but mine remains when he argued a call with the ump so the ump reversed it as Bevingtin wanted and the call went against the Sox

I will see if I can bump that thread for more magical bevington memories