maddux to sign with scrubs tommorow??

baggio202

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LIke we need one more thing to be depressed about this off season. The cub fans I know are already glotting and he hasnt even signed a contract!!

Welcome to the board! :)

Yeah, they have been getting a little full of themselves lately. The name Steve Bartman puts them back in their places though. :lol:

If Maddux signs w/ the sCrUBS...I blame this all on that ATA commercial....

ATA :fyou

LIke we need one more thing to be depressed about this off season. The cub fans I know are already glotting and he hasnt even signed a contract!!

Welcome chisoxfanforever :cheers :usa :cheers

Man, now I'm glad I got a nice little vacation this weekend to not hear this Maddux Talk. I'm sure I'm going to be hearing this Tues. in skool, baseball practice, and on T.V.

Welcome to the board! :)

Yeah, they have been getting a little full of themselves lately.  The name Steve Bartman puts them back in their places though. :lol:

If Maddux signs w/ the sCrUBS...I blame this all on that ATA commercial....

ATA  :fyou

Welcome chisoxfanforever! :)

I will send a :fyou to ATA, but they are providing the way for me to get to Phoenix to see the Sox in action this March. If this is true, maybe Maddux will get hurt in ST and it would be like this never happened.

I will send a  :fyou to ATA, but they are providing the way for me to get to Phoenix to see the Sox in action this March.

Ok since everyone's doing it :) :fyou ATA.

If this is true, maybe Maddux will get hurt in ST and it would be like this never happened.

Just like us never signing Person right... :lol:

It will make them the undeniable favorites in their division, and a definite threat to win it all.

I'll say. 100-105 wins, best team in NL, probable World Series Winner.

As if there was any doubt Cubs were gonna get him. They are not stupid and they have more than enough money.

Hendry masterminded the protracted "negotioations" and a month-worth hype out of it. I believe it was agreed upon weeks ago.

:puke :puke :puke :fthecubs

Another welcome to you CSFF!! :cheers :cheers I'm still rather a rookie myself, but I've made it up all the way to where I can change the cleats and tie the shoes on some some of the Veterans on this forum!!! One guy has over 14000 posts. I'll catch up to him in a day or so. Anyway, one thing that I wrote on an earlier thread, I'll repeat again. I have ONE thing that helps me have a morsel of optimism this year amongst a disappointing off season for us, and the "Yuppieville" having a great one. I keep trying to think of how the roles were reversed this time last year. We had the powerhouse team expected to go to "THE BIG DANCE" and the North side Slops were coming off a horrible season without much hope. They had a blowout year, while we on the other hand decided to open up the casket and jumped right in. This year, we are in their last years spot, and they are in ours! Could the reverse rolls happen? I don't know!! But I have to have something to look forward to, and right now, that is what I cling to. Besides, if the Camode-snorklers take a dive, how much more will we enjoy that after all the garbage that is being fed to us now?

Maddux could be a great move provided that the Cubs hold on to their other pitching. However, there's been rumors to the effect that if the Cubs get Maddux, then they'd trade Clement so Juan Cruz aka the Hispanic Shawn Estes would be their #5 starter. If so, then they would be taking 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards.

Maddux could be a great move provided that the Cubs hold on to their other pitching.  However, there's been rumors to the effect that if the Cubs get Maddux, then they'd trade Clement so Juan Cruz aka the Hispanic Shawn Estes would be their #5 starter.  If so, then they would be taking 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards.

But you have to remember, they'll get someone decent for Clement. His value is probably as high right now as it's ever been.

C.Rector, Clement is going nowhere, although Juan Cruz (who has never proved anything but to be a head case) could be gone.

Cubs up offer to Maddux

Greg Maddux has a little richer view of Chicago this morning than he had a few days ago.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry has officially raised his two-year contract offer to the free-agent pitcher, a move that has been expected for several days. Hendry started the Maddux pursuit on Jan. 13 with his two-year offer of $10 million. The $5 million in annual salaries included incentives that would raise the total package closer to $12 million. The Cubs did not disclose their specific proposal Saturday, now that Hendry has altered the ante. But chances are Maddux is presently being offered $14 million to $15 million over two years.

Further indicating the situation is swinging in the Cubs' favor, the San Francisco Giants have pulled out of the running, according to a Contra Costa Times report today quoting major-league sources.

Hendry was smart enough to start his pitch low, as any good home buyer knows, and save his stronger offer for the final sales push. That's what the Cubs are making this weekend, hoping to persuade Maddux to agree to terms in the next couple of days.

''Hopefully, Greg will make his decision before camp starts,'' Hendry said Saturday.

Cubs pitchers and catchers report to camp Wednesday in Mesa.

Hendry has arrived in Mesa to prepare for the start of camp. He was in touch Saturday with Maddux's agent, Scott Boras, as he tried to reach a resolution in a matter that has dragged on for weeks with fans in Chicago eagerly asking daily if Maddux really was going to sign with the Cubs.

"Scott and I are talking and probably will through the weekend,'' Hendry said. ''We have reiterated that we'd like Greg to be with us and, hopefully, he will decide to come back to Chicago.''

Maddux and Boras also have discussed the matter with the Los Angeles Dodgers. But Maddux lists his chances to win as his top priority, so geography takes a back seat to championship potential.

The Cubs appear primed to make a serious run at the World Series after just falling short last October in the National League Championship Series against the Florida Marlins. Maddux's experience and Hall of Fame talent would be a perfect complement for an already-formidable starting rotation.

If Maddux joins the Cubs, he would be one of the big three -- alongside Mark Prior and Kerry Wood. Young Carlos Zambrano has the ability to make it a Fab Four and Matt Clement as a No. 5 starter would be a sign of tremendous depth.

Clement won 14 games last season and 12 in 2002 for the Cubs. How many No. 5 starters can boast credentials like that?

The Cubs have been aggressive in chasing Maddux, which is a reflection of the increased energy that Hendry and manager Dusty Baker have brought to the club. The Cubs' name has been out front for weeks in this story, while the Giants and Dodgers were latecomers to the public eye in the Maddux negotiations.

The St. Louis Cardinals seem to have become an afterthought.

That article is from the Suntimes, printed this morning.

May happen, may not.

Maddux could be a great move provided that the Cubs hold on to their other pitching.  However, there's been rumors to the effect that if the Cubs get Maddux, then they'd trade Clement so Juan Cruz aka the Hispanic Shawn Estes would be their #5 starter.  If so, then they would be taking 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards.

The speculation I've heard is that they'd let Clement walk when his contract is up and take their chances with some of the good starter prospects they have in the minors now ( Guzman, Sisco, Brownlie, etc ). I don't think they'd deal any starters during the season. They're banking on it HARD that this is the year.

They have a lot of good-looking starter prospects and two solid guys ( 3 if Psycho Zambrano doesn't take a step backwards ) up there now. They can afford to lose Clement, IMO.

To all the Posters who think this is such a great move,keep this in mind:

. His ERA has gone UP consistently over the last 4 years

. His SO's (strikeouts) have gone down

. His HPG (hits per game) has gone up as well.

It wouldn't hurt to have Greg Maddux in your dugout,but keep in mind he isn't the Maddux of 1995-96.Now THAT would be a great thing.

But once all this shiznit goes down,it will suck.All my in laws will start crowing about the sCrUBS going to the series.They'll blow it again.They always do.

:fthecubs :fthecubs :fthecubs :puke :puke

To all the Posters who think this is such a great move,keep this in mind:

. His ERA has gone UP consistently over the last 4 years

. His SO's (strikeouts) have gone down

. His HPG (hits per game) has gone up as well.

It wouldn't hurt to have Greg Maddux in your dugout,but keep in mind he isn't the Maddux of 1995-96.Now THAT would be a great thing.

But once all this shiznit goes down,it will suck.All my in laws will start crowing about the sCrUBS going to the series.They'll blow it again.They always do.

:fthecubs  :fthecubs  :fthecubs  :puke  :puke

I put this on an earlier thread. Can't really go by last years stats too much. It was the first year that the electronic strike/ball avenue was put in place to test the umps accuracy. Maddux is a corner pitcher, up/&down. Naturally, not to make the umps look bad, the strike zone got squeezed on Maddux more than before. I saw quite a few games where he was bewildered at not getting calls that he normally would. When that happens, your motion and mechanics are not as loose and you'll tend to "throw" and not "pitch". Those are some reasons that his stats weren't up to par and why there were times he got"Rocked" more than normal. Put him in a place where there are no electronics that put pressure on the umps, and you'll see a lose Maddux of old!