baggio202

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the Posters who think this is such a great move,keep this in mind:

. His ERA has gone UP consistently over the last 4 years

. His SO's (strikeouts) have gone down

. His HPG (hits per game) has gone up as well.

It wouldn't hurt to have Greg Maddux in your dugout,but keep in mind he isn't the Maddux of 1995-96.Now THAT would be a great thing.

But once all this shiznit goes down,it will suck.All my in laws will start crowing about the sCrUBS going to the series.They'll blow it again.They always do.

:fthecubs  :fthecubs  :fthecubs  :puke  :puke

Greg Maddux is still a quality pitcher who will win 15 games.

He always does.

This IS a great move, like them or not.

I have a feeling that if the Sox were able to sign him, a lot of us would be extolling the same virtues we are now denying or undervaluing.

Fact of the matter is:

Maddux is a better #3 than Zambrano.

Zambrano is a better #4 than Clement.

Clement is a better #5 than Cruz.

Add to this the fact that their bullpen is MUCH improved and Maddux won't be asked to extend into the 7th or 8th inning, and the move becomes that much better.

Unfortunately, it really is going to take injuries or something even more freaky than Bartman to derail their train this year.

Damn. I thought I was depressed with Brian working so much, the Daytona 500 (Roush can shove his freaking engines where the sun don't shine and NASCAR can shove Jr there as well), some crap that went on between the Canes and Caps (here's a great big :fyou to you NHL commish) and the fact the ECHL team that I follow hasn't won since the last ice age.

The idea of the Cubs winning it all makes it just that much worse.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! :angry: :wacko: :angry:

If I may ask...

Why would you be done with the White Sox franchise if the Cubs made it?

That sounds rather silly.

White Sox had 86 years to win the Series and have the ulimate bragging rights over their biggest rival, Cubs.

They failed. They chose the bottom line instead.

I ain't no sucka.

I can maybe understand losing if Cubs are also losing.

Losing while Cubs are winning is INCONGRUENT with my very constitution.

Last 3 years of futility have prepared me for this next step. Trading Thomas and Valentin for peanuts will push me further.

Cubs making the World Series will be the final straw.

Why worry about the Cubs?

Better worry about the Twins and Royals instead of the Cubs.

I despise the Cardinals more than anything in the world, but I didn't stop being a Cub fan when they made the world series three times in the 80's

Cubs/Sox rival? Pfffffffffffft

Why bother? A waste of time.

Why worry about the Cubs?

Better worry about the Twins and Royals instead of the Cubs.

I despise the Cardinals more than anything in the world, but I didn't stop being a Cub fan when they made the world series three times in the 80's

Cubs/Sox rival? Pfffffffffffft

Why bother? A waste of time.

Cubs and Cards aren't in the same city, are they?

Cubs will never have bragging rights over the Cards.

But they might have them over the Sox should your magnificent squad make the Series, let alone win it.

I wish all your players simulteneously go into Konerko-esque existential funk and your ballclub becomes the Mets of the NLC in 2004 and beyond.

I hereby put a hex on your team. Now all I have to do is bleed my neighbor's cat at mid-night and your team's f***ed. Not even Dick Pole can bail you out this time.

I want the White Sox to get Maddux instead.

Is it too much to ask?

JR, get on it.

Maddux has made it clear that he hates the DH rule in the AL and as such will not play for an AL team. You clan't blame Reinsdorf for not getting him when Maddux has this clear preference for the NL.

but I didn't stop being a Cub fan when they made the world series three times in the 80's

Are you a Sox fan? Do you even live in Chicago? If you do, you should know the inner city rivalry we have between each other. Of course we worry about AL central teams, but it doesn't stop us from disliking the Corky and the Bunch.

:fthecubs

EDIT: It seems JBN is a Cubs fan. :rolleyes: 5 of his 8 total posts somehow are related to our North Side neighbors; including two that date back to May.

White Sox had 86 years to win the Series and have the ulimate bragging rights over their biggest rival, Cubs.

They failed.  They chose the bottom line instead.

I ain't no sucka.

I can maybe understand losing if Cubs are also losing.

Losing while Cubs are winning is INCONGRUENT with my very constitution.

Last 3 years of futility have prepared me for this next step.  Trading Thomas and Valentin for peanuts will push me further.

Cubs making the World Series will be the final straw.

BrandoFan:

Why can't you be a fan of both Chicago teams? There's no reason why you have to choose one over the other.

BrandoFan: 

Why can't you be a fan of both Chicago teams?  There's no reason why you have to choose one over the other.

The answer to this question is so long and complicated it would take too long to explain it.

Clearly you were not raised on the south side of Chicago, or had parents who were dyed-in-the-wool Sox fans.

I hope the Cubs go 0-162 every year.

EDIT: It seems JBN is a Cubs fan.  5 of his 8 total posts somehow are related to our North Side neighbors; including two that date back to May.

JBN is a Cubs fan, but he is an alright guy. I do agree with him that Sox fans should worry much more about the Sox than the Cubs. It doesn't have to be one or the other. If both teams do well, Chicago will support both very well.

The answer to this question is so long and complicated it would take too long to explain it.

Clearly you were not raised on the south side of Chicago, or had parents who were dyed-in-the-wool Sox fans.

I hope the Cubs go 0-162 every year.

JimH, I disagree to an extent.

I was not raised on the South side of Chicago.

I was not raised in Chicago.

I was not raised in the States.

I was not raised in the Western hemisphere.

My parents wouldn't know a Zambrano from a Zapruder.

And yet I despise Cubs with a passion.

Because I want to.

Because I can.

Because it's fun.

Because I am a true Sox fan and you don't have TWO wives.

Because I know how much revenue we lose annually because those bastards on the NS have grabbed a large share of the casual fan market. That alone is responsible for our payroll not being in the 80-90s Mill range AT LEAST. Blaming it on Reindorf is not being honest with yourself.

I don't hope Cubs go 0-162.

I would much rather their fans be super excited about their team only to have their hearts figuratively ripped apart with anguish.

I can be a bigger man than that but I CHOOSE not to.

Because I can.

Now....Kittie, kittie, kittie.

JimH, I disagree to an extent.

I was not raised on the South side of Chicago.

I was not raised in Chicago.

I was not raised in the States.

I was not raised in the Western hemisphere.

And yet I despise Cubs with a passion.

Because I want to.

Because I can.

Because it's fun.

Because I am a true Sox fan and you don't have TWO wives.

Because I know how much revenue we lose annually because those bastards on the NS have grabbed a large share of the casual fan market. That alone is responsible for our payroll not being in the 80-90s Mill range AT LEAST. Blaming it on Reindorf is not being honest with yourself.

I don't hope Cubs go 0-162.

I would much rather their fans be super excited about their team only to have their hearts figuratively ripped apart with anguish.

I can be a bigger man than that but I CHOOSE not to. 

Because I can.

Now....Kittie, kittie, kittie.

Damn man that was beautiful, it brought a tear to my eye.

Cubs and Cards aren't in the same city, are they?

No.

Are the White Sox in the same division as the Cubs? No.

Do they both play in the National League? No.

Cubs and Cardinals are probably the biggest rival in baseball right next to the Red Sox and Yankees or Dodgers and Giants.

At least the Cubs and Cardinals play in the same division, St. Louis is 5 miles from the Illinois border and the rival with the fans is fun and non violent.

I work with a coupe of Sox fans and they could care less about what the Cubs do.

Maddux has made it clear that he hates the DH rule in the AL and as such will not play for an AL team.  You clan't blame Reinsdorf for not getting him when Maddux has this clear preference for the NL.

Link? Quote? I hate it when people perpetuate something that was never said, we may not get Maddux but that'll be because JR never tried and I'm not gonna sit and listen all yr how it wasn't JR's fault because Maddux was an NL guy. That's bulls***.

Cubs and Cardinals are probably the biggest rival in baseball right next to the Red Sox and Yankees or Dodgers and Giants.

Cubs-Sox is the biggest/best rivalry out there. Simple as that.

I understand that it's hard to wrap your mind around this fact if you're of the conventional division/NL/newspaper hype linear thinking. If you're not from Chicago.

Yankees-RedSox is overblown because NOBODY is ever gonna have bragging rights on ther Yankees. Red Sox could win 10 WS in a row, and they still won't come close. They play each other so much, it's becomes something trivial at some point.

Cards are so far and above the Cubs it's not even funny. Also not even in the same damn city. Play each other for decades 12-19 times a year. Too diluted.

Dodgers-Giants? Both teams are HAVE's. Winning another title for either fo them wouldn't be such a huge deal. They are from a place where baseball is simply not taken quite as seriously (just ask Dusty) and football/basketball are the s***.

Cubs-Sox is THE rivalry, the rivalry of HAVE-NOT's-- and we all know how much more vicious warring poor people are than their rich counter-parts! Both teams are from a city that is absolutely f***ing STARVED for a PLAYOFF appearance let alone a WS title 183 years in the making. From the Sox standpoint, Cubs have been stealing our casual fans for decades; they are basically stealing from our payroll purse and are negatively affecting our chances of winning EVERY year. And will be doing so 50 years from now when Twins and Royals are long contracted and Tribe are in another city/division/league......

Georgaphically, Cubs -Sox are the closest. We only play 3-6 games each year for about 7 years now; any single game draws far more excitement than any one of those aformentioned rivalries. For me, winning 4 games from the Cubs is VERY important.

The ONLY way Sox will ever be brought back to prominence/relevance is by winning the World Series a couple of times WHILE the Cubs are losing. Period.

Cubs-Sox is the biggest/best rivalry out there.  Simple as that.

I understand that it's hard to wrap your mind around this fact if you're of the conventional division/NL/newspaper hype linear thinking.  If you're not from Chicago. 

Yankees-RedSox is overblown because NOBODY is ever gonna have bragging rights on ther Yankees. Red Sox could win 10 WS in a row, and they still won't come close.  They play each other so much,  it's becomes something trivial at some point.

Cards are so far and above the Cubs it's not even funny.  Also not even in the same damn city. Play each other for decades 12-19 times a year.  Too diluted.

Dodgers-Giants?  Both teams are HAVE's. Winning another title for either fo them wouldn't be such a huge deal. They are from a place where baseball is simply not taken quite as seriously (just ask Dusty) and football/basketball are the s***. 

Cubs-Sox is THE rivalry, the rivalry of HAVE-NOT's--  and we all know how much more vicious warring poor people are than their rich counter-parts!  Both teams are from a city that is absolutely f***ing STARVED for a PLAYOFF appearance let alone a WS title 183 years in the making.    From the Sox standpoint, Cubs have been stealing our casual fans for decades; they are basically stealing from our payroll purse and are negatively affecting our chances of winning EVERY year.  And will be doing so 50 years from now when Twins and Royals are long contracted and Tribe are in another city/division/league......

Georgaphically, Cubs -Sox are the closest.  We only play 3-6 games each year for about 7 years now;  any single game draws far more excitement than any one of those aformentioned rivalries.  For me, winning 4 games from the Cubs is VERY important.

The ONLY way Sox will ever be brought back to prominence/relevance is by winning the World Series a couple of times WHILE the Cubs are losing. Period.

I am glad we've reached a consensus.

1. If JR/KW had any "grapefruits" at all, THEY would offer Maddux a 1-year, $10 million deal. They'd be pulling a big PR coup over the cubs, and would have a 5th starter/pitching coach on their staff!

2. The cubs are not as good as a lot of you seem to think;

A) No real lead off hitter

B) Corey Patterson is a question mark

C) Moises Alou is due for a stint on the DL

D) Kerry Wood is due for a stint on the DL

E) Their catchers are weak

F) They strike out too much

G) Team defense sucks!

Feel better?

BTW, the Phils are the class of the NL, and the team to beat!!!

:fthecubs