More A-Rod trade talk

Mr. Showtime

Right now, they don't have the pitching to win it all.  Come September, they might due to trades or a minor leaguer stepping up or something of the like.

You hit the nail on the head there witesoxfan. They will probably make trade(s) come the deadline. The yanks have been known to improve thier team anyways how and I'm sure they'll pull one off to get a quality pitcher come that time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasnt Newsday the one who had on there front page that Nomar was coming here, Maggs was gone, and the A-rod and Manny thing??? I know it was close to happening, but obviously nothing ever happened so im not sold on it yet.

Excately. I'm still not completely sold on the deal. Newsday sometimes just make ridiculous rumors or even if their true, they wont happen. They just want to be the 1st to report it. I still wouldn't count it out, but that doesn't mean nesessary its going to get done.

Not the worst pitching staff, but not the best either. If the Yankees faced the Cubs in the series, I got a bad feeling the Cubbies would destroy them and whip their asses. If the Giants staff stays healthy, Jason Schmidt would make the Yankees look silly. The Phillies could do quite a bit of damage as well.

No way. I can see it now. ARod steps up the plate at Wrigley with Wood on the mound. Wood blows two fastballs right by him. ARod steps out and says "That's only two." Then he points to the center field bleachers .... :lol:

One question for you though. How does the NL has 3 teams that can beat the Yankees and the AL has none?

God it must feel good to be a Yankees fan...I'm in awe at the s*** this team pulls off year after year.  Now they're kinda weak at 2nd base.  Hell I could see them pullin off a trade for Bret f***in Boone.  f*** THE YANKEES!!! :fyou

Or Ray Durham. :headshake

Why is everybody handing the World Series to the Yankees? Their pitching, while potentially very strong, has huge question marks. Is Lieber healthy? Can Brown stay healthy? Can Contreras be consistent? Rivera struggled at times last year, will he be alright? There defense is still atrocious. While there is no question ARod is better than Soriano, he gets devalued as a thirdbaseman. He is going from a great hitters park to a national park. His power numbers will probably go down a little. Soriano is not much worse than ARod, in fact, their win shares from last season were almost even. ARod beat him by 2 games. I know the Yankees are made of money, but adding this to their payroll has got to take a toll. They paid $60 million in luxury tax, and it will go higher this year. I still think the Red Sox are better than the Yankees, and think one of the biggest reasons the Yankees are doing this, is to keep ARod from Boston.

This is not quite a sure thing yet. From ESPN:

However, ESPN's Jayson Stark reports that it's not a done deal quite yet, according to a baseball official with knowledge of the negotiations. The official said "issues remain" that still could stand in the way of the deal being completed.

Newsday reported on its Web site Saturday afternoon that A-Rod is so desperate to get out of Texas that he'd be willing to switch positions to play at third base, allowing Yankees captain Derek Jeter to stay at shortstop.

Terming Newsday's report "inaccurate," Stark's source said, "Is there a deal yet? No. Could it happen? Yes."

this sucks so bad. Looks like we'll be off to a bad start again this year since we have to play the Yanks 7 times in early April.

One thing keep in mind! Our confince level from being able to hit them the past few years has to be pretty high. We rocked them quite a few times! I'll admit, our pitching is rather weak, but WE PROVED that no matter who they threw at us, that we could hit them!!! Keep in mind also, that we were able to play ball with a lot of the BIG boys. It's the 9 player casket-liners that we had problems against!!

No way.  I can see it now.  ARod steps up the plate at Wrigley with Wood on the mound.  Wood blows two fastballs right by him.  ARod steps out and says "That's only two."  Then he points to the center field bleachers .... :lol:

One question for you though.  How does the NL has 3 teams that can beat the Yankees and the AL has none?

In a post further from the one you quoted(I believe)

"be it by Oakland's stellar rotation, (or) Boston's big 1-2-3, "

I also mentioned a sleeper is possible, the Angels being the one that comes to mind initially, and possibly a team like the Twins, Royals, White Sox or Mariners(really the only other teams that have a shot at the playoffs that I have not mentioned....I think the Blue Jays, Orioles, Devil Rays, Indians, Tigers, and Rangers have little shot, with the Jays being the best of the bunch but having the problem of being in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees), or a sleeper from the NL(Dodgers, Astros, Marlins, Padres, and Dbacks come to mind with the best pitching staffs, and you can never rule out a team with Leo Mazzone or Dave Duncan as pitching coach, so St. Louis and Atlanta should also be considered atleast possible sleepers)

I just mentioned the obvious ones, and the ones who seem to strike out the most batters, because the Yankees lineup is very strikeout prone, which is its major weakness.

I don't see why everyone is so mad. They gave up Soriano so I don't know who they will put at 2B unless that's where they move A-Rod. My point is that the Yankees have had the best team on paper the last few years and haven't won the WS so I don't see why this year won't be any different. Besides they did lose Clemens and Pettitte.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet ( too lazy on a Sunday morning to look through all 5 pages ) but either Enrique Wilson or Miguel Cairo look to be the 2B.

I'd give the early nod to Wilson for his bat.

That can be one hell of an offensive lineup, but every team has an Achilles' Heel, and the Yanks is their starting pitching - 2 very real health concerns ( Lieber and Brown ) and one very real consistency concern ( Contreras ). Mussina and Vasquez are solid, although I've seen some rumblings about the number of innings Vasquez has thrown the past couple years. Don't know if that was "wishful pessimism" by Red Sox fans or what...

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet ( too lazy on a Sunday morning to look through all 5 pages ) but either Enrique Wilson or Miguel Cairo look to be the 2B.

I'd give the early nod to Wilson for his bat.

That can be one hell of an offensive lineup, but every team has an Achilles' Heel, and the Yanks is their starting pitching - 2 very real health concerns ( Lieber and Brown ) and one very real consistency concern ( Contreras ). Mussina and Vasquez are solid, although I've seen some rumblings about the number of innings Vasquez has thrown the past couple years. Don't know if that was "wishful pessimism" by Red Sox fans or what...

I think you can talk about the pitching staff in general as the weak point. You mentioned the starting pitching as being potentially weak, then you look at the bullpen and see Rivera(who is the best in the pen) and Quantrill(who is also pretty good) along with Flash(though as I have pointed out earlier, the last time he was in 65 games in a season was 1998, and the next season he was gone for a year and a half by June or so), and then you have Karsay who is coming off surgery, Felix Heredia, and who knows what he's going to do, and then a question mark(I think the two on here that I have are Jorge DePaula and Bret Prinz...not exactly household names).

If they need to, the Yankees will improve themselves at the trade deadline, if not earlier.

From Olney:

And in Boston, the Red Sox must move on knowing that they could have had the game's best player, if they had been willing to take on more money. Boston appears to have a better pitching staff, with the addition of Curt Schilling and Keith Foulke, and all will be forgiven if the Red Sox, can surpass the Yankees and conquer the Curse of the Bambino.

But if A-Rod thrives in New York, the Red Sox will be forever second-guessed for not pulling the trigger on a trade with Texas -- as they have been second-guessed for more than three-quarters of a century for dealing Babe Ruth. If Rodriguez continues his current rate of production, the Red Sox may be guilty of squandering two of the four greatest home run hitters in history. Everything the Red Sox do this season -- and everything they don't do -- will be viewed through an A-Rod prism, and an ownership which had built enormous credibility with Boston fans could lose all of it if the Yankees win.