wow, the folks at soxtalk....

sox4lifeinPA

you in south korea or something i had a brother in law that was over there for a year. he said it was pretty calm over there, but he is in the air force.

It's not terribly different here from a stateside posting except for the fact that I cant have my car here & its 15 time zones away from home.

My dates already over...but it was all good.

My girl had some sorority thing (Bunch of the girls are doing something and I'm doing something with my buddies in a bit).

Took her to the beach, we went to a cafe right by there and then strolled along the beach.

Hopefully everyone else that is out is having a good valentines day and the same to everyone thats on the boards too :)

must be gettin' some tonight....no one's around.  :huh: woulda thunk :)

I didn't have any big plans, but I wasn't around today...

Worked from 7 to 5.... Fell asleep at 730 (I was supposed to go out at 8)... My GF got really pissed... She thought I was standing her up... OOPS...

We were just going to stay in tonight, but She didn't really wanna believe that I was just asleep... So I went out drinkin' w/ my boys...

V-Day is The best day to go out to the bars... You can easily tell who's single... And most are so desperate to have a Valentine... It's like shootin fish in a barrel...

I had fun with it cuz after all I have a GF... :D

Pastime's evening was simple. I gave the wife a nice card and a small gift, then we went to dinner at a lakeshore restaurant (Lake Michigan is still frozen, sadly). Then we walked on the beach for a while, froze our asses off, and then drove home. Then I held her in my arms in bed for an hour until she fell asleep with Kenny G (GAG!!!) playing in the background. She's still asleep, I'm still awake, and I'm posting here.

I hope you all had a nice Valentine's Day. If you didn't - I'm sorry.

I had a nice Valentine's Day - got my wife a mushy card ( made her cry with what I wrote - I STILL GOT IT! ), some choco's and the Best Of Squeeze CD ( that "Bands Reunited" thing re-ignited her interest in Squeeze ) and then she totally trumped me by getting me a NICE replica Carolina Hurricanes home jersey ( how you like THAT, FanOf14?? ).

I made her a nice dinner - chipotle soup and a big salad - and after the kid went to bed, we watched Lost In Translation ( overrated, and more than a little boring ) and we went to sleep with the sounds of sports-talk radio buzzing about ARod.

Romantic, I know.....

We were just going to stay in tonight, but She didn't really wanna believe that I was just asleep... So I went out drinkin' w/ my boys...

V-Day is The best day to go out to the bars... You can easily tell who's single... And most are so desperate to have a Valentine... It's like shootin fish in a barrel...

I had fun with it cuz after all I have a GF... :D

Are you sure about that? Have you talked to her today? :D

V-Day was nice. Got the kids locked away in their cupboard under the stairs, made a chicken and heavy cream dish me wife likes (w/artechokes, snow, peas, mushrooms, pearl onions and soe other yummy stuff). Had Chimay Cinq Cints (Belgian beer made by kick-ass Trappist monks) and a French Brouilly beaujolais with diner, and for dessert chocolate-covered strawberries and cherries with Lindeman's Framboise (Belgian raspberry lambic - if you have a girlfriend/wife who thinks she doesn't like beer let her try this).

I gave my wife a certificate for a day at an upity spa she's been curious about. She gave me a game and a DVD of the complete Ed Sullivan shows with the Beatles' live appearances.

The rest of the enjoyable evening is between the wife and myself. :rolleyes:

DB, it's February!!!!!

I'm in for the night now. I had a nice intimate night with an awesome girl. :wub:

Remember they got their seasons all turned around Down Under. It only got to around 78 here, but it was perfect weather today at the park watching my little gorl's T-ball team practice.

And lake Michigan's still, frozen, huh? :D

DB, it's February!!!!!

I'm in for the night now. I had a nice intimate night with an awesome girl. :wub:

I'll hav to post sum pics of this place, huge ass 10 story shopping centre with a pyramid out front, and then a huge amusement park ALA Disneyland. Yesterday my Dad and I, and 2 Poms who r also stayin at da hotel with us, went on this ride, and it swings up and down goin faster and faster, until u eventually go around 360 degrees bout 10 times. And they were no bloody seat belts so u just had to hang on, lol. I've also bought heaps of DVD's down here in Kuala Lumpur for bout 3 dollars each including Pirates of the Carribbean, Lost in Translation, heaps of new 1's. :D

I've also bought heaps of DVD's down here in Kuala Lumpur for bout 3 dollars each including Pirates of the Carribbean, Lost in Translation, heaps of new 1's.  :D

There's a big world biodiversity conference down there that's just wrapping up. Was there much coverage of it in the media while you were there?

There's a big world biodiversity conference down there that's just wrapping up.  Was there much coverage of it in the media while you were there?

Any ideas on what the conference was called? I'm lookin in da local paper now.

Any ideas on what the conference was called? I'm lookin in da local paper now.

It's a mouthful. It's the "Seventh Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity," which started last Monday in Kuala Lumpur and runs through most of this week.

It's kind of neat because it's bringing together more than 2,000 biodiversity shareholders including government delegates, scientists, and environmentalists. They are, among other things, exploring ways to help indigenous people share wealth created by their biodiversity resources. The idea is that if indigenous people are the de facto stewards of their local living systems, and the systems yield some big $$ prospect -- like a cancer cure from a rainforest plant, etc., the local people will get something out of it. In return, it is the responsibility of these local stewards to prortect the natural resources to make sure that yet-undiscovered cancer-curing plant doesn't go extinct before it is found.

Does that make sense?

Any way, I'm insanely jealous. Kuala Lumpur is way up on the life list of places I need to see.

And that was even BEFORE I knew tthey had a 10-story mall.

It's a mouthful.  It's the "Seventh Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity," which started last Monday in Kuala Lumpur and runs through most of this week.

It's kind of neat because it's bringing together more than 2,000 biodiversity shareholders including government delegates, scientists, and environmentalists.  They are, among other things, exploring ways to help indigenous people share wealth created by their biodiversity resources.  The idea is that if indigenous people are the de facto stewards of their local living systems, and the systems yield some big $$ prospect -- like a cancer cure from a rainforest plant, etc., the local people will get something out of it.  In return, it is the responsibility of these local stewards to prortect the natural resources to make sure that yet-undiscovered cancer-curing plant doesn't go extinct before it is found.

Does that make sense?

Any way, I'm insanely jealous.  Kuala Lumpur is way up on the life list of places I need to see.

And that was even BEFORE I knew tthey had a 10-story mall.

Ah yes, it's called the COP-7 or CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity) down here. Anythin in particular u want to know Jim? There's an excellent article in the paper with the chief scientist talkin bout deforestation in Africa helpin spread diseases, and that human life and health depends on the health of other species and the integrity of our ecosystems. KL is certainly a great place to travel to, just make sure u go to a good restaraunt though. Went to a Scottish Pub (the owna is a mad, mad Celtic supporter with memmorabilla up everywhere) and the food was horrible, but last nite we went to a Brazillian BBQ place and the food was much, much betta. And there's heaps and heaps of 10 story malls around, but lets just say Malaysians are good at building stuff, but they ain't good at maintainin it. :lol:

Ah yes, it's called the COP-7 or CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity) down here. Anythin in particular u want to know Jim? There's an excellent article in the paper with the chief scientist talkin bout deforestation in Africa helpin spread diseases, and that human life and health depends on the health of other species and the integrity of our ecosystems. KL is certainly a great place to travel to, just make sure u go to a good restaraunt though. Went to a Scottish Pub (the owna is a mad, mad Celtic supporter with memmorabilla up everywhere) and the food was horrible, but last nite we went to a Brazillian BBQ place and the food was much, much betta. And there's heaps and heaps of 10 story malls around, but lets just say Malaysians are good at building stuff, but they ain't good at maintainin it.  :lol:

Thanks DBAHO. I'm getting short daily dispatches on teh conference from an online service, and my institutions' library will get the full proceedings when they come out down the road. Just wondering if it is all running smoothly. Like the G7 conferences, these things tend to have protests of some sort associated with them and i was wondering how smoothly it was going.