The Yankees new line-up

Jordan4life_2007

i really think there is a huge potential for melt down.

:huh:

You mean like last year right? Or the year before that? Hell, maybe even the year before that one too?

Torre is a guy that can handle 15-20 egos in check....which is why it would be very bad for the Yankees if Torre is fired by George.

Seriously though, if this team doesn't win 120 games, I don't think a team ever will win 120 games. I honestly don't think they win the World Series, but they look like one of the most dominant regular season teams ever going into the year. I would hate to see what happens if the DBacks fell out of contention early....probably see a rotation that includes Mussina, Johnson, Brown, and Vazquez(and Jose Contreras as the #5 starter)...and then if the Marlins fail to repeat, Luis Castillo will probably be traded to NY to be the 2Bman, and for good measure, the Yankees will give an extra $4 mill in the Arizona deal and will get Robbie Alomar as the utility infielder.

I just look forward to how all those huge EGOS mesh together, if they do.

Their pitching staff isn't "world beaters." I've seen great lineups get their asses handed to them by great pitching staffs. EXAMPLE ONE (I hate to say this) - the 2003 Cubs vs. the 2003 Braves.

With the A-rod trade pretty much a done deal I was thinking is this the greatest offensive line-up ever assembled?  Lofton,  Jeter,  Sheffield,  A-rod,  Giambi,  Matsui,  B-Williams,  Posada...I'm not sure who the 2nd basemen is gonna be,  but who f***in cares.  Hell,  by June the Yanks will proably add Bret Boone to play 2nd base and give up a couple of minor leaguers.  Tell me what you guys think...

That's what they say about the Spankees last year and they still lost to a team with 1/4 the payroll.

:fyou The Yankees

I'm gonna ask why is Alex Rodriguez playing 3B and not Jeter?? Is it because ARod volunteered to come to NYY and play third and Jeter is the captain and blah blah blah.  ARod is by far the better range, better glove, and about the same arm at shortstop.

Gotta agree. 18 (19?) errors in the past couple years by Alex... the defense is way better, IMO. But DJ's the capt of that team.. George definitely isn't going to upset him.

The ramifications of this deal are huge, bordering on tremendous. First of all, you have the Yankees sticking to the Red Sox, again. And making the BoSox look comparatively "cheap" in the process. Boston worked for weeks to get an ARod deal done, but backed out because of the money issue. Then the Yankees come in after the Boone injury and get this deal done in 2 or 3 days.

Next, you have to consider the fact that the Mets wouldn't sign ARod when he was a free agent even though he wanted to go there. They also, backed off because of the money. So, what Steinbrenner has effectively done is put the screws to his biggest competitive rival in Boston and also his biggest marketing rival in the Mets.

That sums up the situation on the New York - Boston corridor and King George comes up a HUGE winner. But what does this do to the rest of MLB? It has driven home the fact that the competitive balance issue that was supposed to be, if not resolved, then at least improved by the last collective bargaining agreement, was only tweaked, at best. And it was driven home with a sledge hammer like impact. Fans throughout the baseball world have been well aware that they have their backs against a wall and are hoping for something almost miraculous to occur in order for their teams to win. But now, the acquisition of ARod borders on obscene in that respect. If your a Red Sox fan, you have to feel like you just got a swift kick in testitcles. If you are a fan of the O's, Jays or Rays you just have to me sick to your stomach. As for the rest of the baseball fans, feelings would have to range from disgust to exasperation. This deal in NOT good for baseball in any way, shape or form.

Yasny,

I will be interested to see or "observe" the effect the trade will have on the Red Sox' mental state of mind and psyche. And to know they almost had the guy has to really hurt them even more.

If anything, it will add even more fuel to the fire of that rivalry, which was already an out-of-control inferno to begin with.

Yasny,

I will be interested to see or "observe" the effect the trade will have on the Red Sox' mental state of mind and psyche.  And to know they almost had the guy has to really hurt them even more. 

If anything, it will add even more fuel to the fire of that rivalry, which was already an out-of-control inferno to begin with.

Exactly. And that isn't even taking into account a disenfranchised Nomar or Manny.