My idea of the day

southsider2k5

Think of any other charitable organization that had a history of child molesting and obstruction of justice, that was self-documented for 50 years. Imagine now that they had paid over $1/2 billion to make those problems go away. Would they still be eligible as a charitable organization by our federal government?

This is the Catholic Church, as most people probably know.

My idea is because of the crimes committed against our citizens and against our government that the IRS strip the Catholic Church of its tax exempt status. This may sound harsh, but when you look at groups that have been stripped of this status, have they done nearly as much to deserve it. The only reason that they still are exempt is because they are the most single populous church and public opinion would crush something like this.

But if the US government really wants to prove there is a separation of church and state; that obstruction of justice will be prosecuted; and that they are fair to all ideals, they would take action today.

interesting...but if we did that does it then give government the right to pull tax exempt status from churches who dont accept homosexuality??..or churches that dont support the war in iraq???..its one of those slippery slope questions...

but the fact that the church hieracy knew of the problem and didnt handle it does give your position some credibility

interesting...but if we did that does it then give government the right to pull tax exempt status from churches who dont accept homosexuality??..or churches that dont support the war in iraq???..its one of those slippery slope questions...

but the fact that the church hieracy knew of the problem and didnt handle it does give your position some credibility

I personally am not aruging on the basis of morality. Although the morality arguement is used against groups like Mathew Hales Church of the Creator and the Klan. Hale's group technically committed no illegal acts before their exempt status was yanked based on the actions of one man, not employed by their group. (It was only after Hale was charged with tax evasion in court that he tried to have a judge hit)

I am talking about illegal acts, and espesially the 70 years of obstruction of justice.

y do any churches get tax breaks??? i think they should be taxed only not profit orgs should be tax free. last i checked churches are building a ton of building look at all the temples the mormons have.

Pull tax exempt status on ALL churches and tax them finally. It'll stop asshats like Benny Hinn from having a $3 million dollar beachfront property "parsonage" that is tax exempt.

y do any churches get tax breaks??? i think they should be taxed only not profit orgs should be tax free. last i checked churches are building a ton of building look at all the temples the mormons have.

Churches are not for profits. Granted some people take advantage of that and use them to their own personal fiscal benefit.

Churches are not for profits.  Granted some people take advantage of that and use them to their own personal fiscal benefit.

hahahahaha how nice of a house does the pope live in and does he get paid??? also while you are on the subject of taxes lets legalize weed and tax the hell out of that too. it will take the money out of the hands from drug dealers(and people that hook up friends) etc.