Yankees Are Ruining Baseball

hogan873

Is it just me or does it seem like the New York Yankees are ruining the game of baseball? A $200 million payroll? The Red Sox are a distant second in payroll with $130 million. How can small and mid-market teams compete anymore? If you're a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Milwaukee Brewers, and the like, you know your team has no chance. Now if you're not a New York Yankee fan, you're throwing your hands in the air and saying, "Why bother getting excited?"

Okay, granted the Yankees don't have an overwhelming pitching staff. But do they need it? With a field of all-stars who can potentially score ten runs a game, they don't need five aces.

So I think we're all thinking the White Sox at least have a chance at the central division. I personally think they're going to do quite well...at least I think they'll surprise us. But what happens after that? Can the Sox beat the Yankees...regular or post season? I certainly hope so, but it's a scary thought.

The worst part about all of this is that if the Yankees need more help during the season, they'll just go out and get it. For them, it's like going to the supermarket. Except instead of buying cereal, milk, and eggs, they buy sluggers, third basemen, and pitchers. :puke

Baseball needs a salary cap. Baseball needs to put a stop to what's happening. Baseball needs to get its act together.

Thank you for letting me rant. :P

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't fault the Yankees. It is the system that is in place that allows them to make such moves. Credit Brian Cashman and Steinbrenner's braintrust in Tampa for being creative. Of course, creativity is much easier when you have $$ behind it.

That said, I am a bit depressed with all of this. I just don't see it as being good for the game itself. Whether it is salaries, a strike/lockout or steroids, I have a bad feeling this sport is headed for some big troubles.

I don't fault the Yankees.  It is the system that is in place that allows them to make such moves.  Credit Brian Cashman and Steinbrenner's braintrust in Tampa for being creative.  Of course, creativity is much easier when you have $$ behind it.

That said, I am a bit depressed with all of this.  I just don't see it as being good for the game itself.  Whether it is salaries, a strike/lockout or steroids, I have a bad feeling this sport is headed for some big troubles.

You and me both. Baseball and hockey have been the two sports the most scared to address and take hard lines on their problems. And it is no coincidence which ones are experiencing the most problems.

I do not want a salary cap under any circumstances.

I am not thrilled with what the yankees can do but it is not ruining baseball. The same complaint has been lodged against them for 100 years. Back in 1905 people were complaining about the high salaries in baseball and some teams having better resources than others.

What is the real problem is they are spending more than anyone else - but what will ahppen? Will they win 125 games like Seattle a few years agao and then get swept out of the 1st round of the playoffs? Are they immune to injury or player discontent?

Chicago fans had their version of this, when a team with Jordan and Pippin signed Rodman. No one in Chicago complained a team was signing "everyone" then.

The games are played on the field and even if the Yankees go off a winning streak like in the 1950s when they won every year but two, baseball will survive. Over reaction and trying to fix things that are not broken where the repair is worse than the problem is not the solution. Maybe the real solution is to rent the DVD of Damn Yankees and realize this is no new thing and baseball has survived and the world has continued to spin around the sun as required.

The real fans will still love baseball. just because the yanks have 200 million payroll doesnt mean they will win the world series. 162 games is a long season and in a 7 game series anything can happen.

Exactly. They havent won a thing the last couple years. Let them spend and waste the money. Their farm system is decimated. It will eventually catch up to them.

Compare them to the Rangers in hockey. The biggest waste of money. They spend and spend. They have the highest payroll in the NHL and have trouble making it to the playoffs.

Just because you have the highest payroll doesn't mean you have a good team. It may make it easier for you to put together a really good team on paper, but that is about it. Just because the Yanks are spending more does not change baseball one bit. It is still the haves vs. the have nots. There is a lot to blame for this. The owner's greed, no cap, or free agency. Nothing has changed since the Yanks got ARod.

The Yanks have holes and they can easily be beaten.

idk know about how easy it is, but it can be done, and they do have a couple holes.

What I am saying is I would not be suprised one bit if they didn't win it this year or, for that matter, if they didn't even make the playoffs. The way the schedule is structured now and looking at that division they are going to have a tough schedule. There could be 2 west coast teams that sneak in and Boston could win their division. You just never know.

Yep, Nothing. :bang

What exactly has changed? :huh:

PayRod changed teams, big deal. We already knew that the Yanks will buy what they want, when they want it and on their terms - nothing new there. They only way it will affect the White Sox is if they make the playoffs. They don't play the Spanks enough to have it make that much of a difference. IMHO, this division will be one by the team that dominates this division.

I am not thrilled with what the yankees can do but it is not ruining baseball.  The same complaint has been lodged against them for 100 years.  Back in 1905 people were complaining about the high salaries in baseball and some teams having better resources than others.

What is the real problem is they are spending more than anyone else - but what will ahppen?  Will they win 125 games like Seattle  a few years agao and then get swept out of the 1st round of the playoffs?  Are they immune to injury or player discontent? 

Chicago fans had their vwersion of this, when a team with Jordan and Pippin signed Rodman.  No one in Chicago complained a team signing "everyone" then.

The games are played on the field and even if the Yankees go off a winning streak like in the 1950s when they won every year but two, baseball will survive.  Over reaction and trying to fix things that are not broken where the repair is worse than the problem is not the solution.  Maybe the real solution is to rent the DVD of Damn Yankees and realize this is no new thing and baseball has survived and the world has continued to spin around the sun as required.

I know where you're coming from Vince, but I disagree with you. Not from the perspective that you can buy championships, but from the perspective of keeping franchises viable in cities that can never match the Yankees in the pocketbook.

If the NFL didn't have a salary cap, there would be no Green Bay Packers anymore, probably no Buffalo team, or Indianapolis team, and others.

The Bulls are a bad example, because A) the NBA has a salary cap, B)Jordan and Pippen were players drafted by the Bulls, and C)Rodman had virtually no value after his stunts in San Antonio, and was considered a huge risk. Kind of like if the Yankees signed John Rocker.

In order to keep ALL franchises in healthy working order, you must keep that teams fans interested in one way or another. Without a cap, already waning interest in many once-great baseball cities will become non-existent.

The Yankees by no means guaranteed themselves a championship this season, but they did a lot more to get their fans interested than 95% of the other teams could.

I am not thrilled with what the yankees can do but it is not ruining baseball.  The same complaint has been lodged against them for 100 years.  Back in 1905 people were complaining about the high salaries in baseball and some teams having better resources than others.

What is the real problem is they are spending more than anyone else - but what will ahppen?  Will they win 125 games like Seattle  a few years agao and then get swept out of the 1st round of the playoffs?  Are they immune to injury or player discontent? 

Chicago fans had their version of this, when a team with Jordan and Pippin signed Rodman.  No one in Chicago complained a team was signing "everyone" then.

The games are played on the field and even if the Yankees go off a winning streak like in the 1950s when they won every year but two, baseball will survive.  Over reaction and trying to fix things that are not broken where the repair is worse than the problem is not the solution.  Maybe the real solution is to rent the DVD of Damn Yankees and realize this is no new thing and baseball has survived and the world has continued to spin around the sun as required.

Dennis Rodman was not signed. He was traded for Wil Perdue. I believe it was an even swap. Not sure if the cap was around back then or not. Plus I believe a lot of people were not to thrilled of having the headcase coming to the Bulls. Not many teams even wanted him, which tells you why he was dealt for Wil Perdue.

you just watch.. the Yankees are gonna win like 130 games and blow through the playoffs.. A Rod is a HUGE addition to this team and if they sign Maddux thats even MORE. Baseball needs to have a salary cap, or your just gonna deal with this forever.

The Bulls weren't buying up all the top free agents. Jordan was drafted, Pippen was traded for very early, and Rodman was no huge pickup.

It's ridiculous to have a team over 200 million when 2nd place is 130 million and a bunch of teams are down under 50 million. I don't think people want a salary cap like the NFL where teams can't keep their players long enough, but would 125 million be unreasonable?

A salary cap is just not something that can be imposed on baseball players. The Players Union is probably the most powerful in the world of athletic unions. I don't think they are so keen on the idea of a salary cap in the strictest sense. I can only support increased revenue sharing at this time, and even that is a stretch.

My two cents is that the casual fan looking to go will still go see a Brewer game in Milwaukee as it is something to do. Right now the only stories in baseball are the Yankees, cubs, Red Sox, maybe the Astros and ...... I think that is it. Unfortunatly the reminder of the seson will be the same way. Sure your Royals, Angels, marlins, Twins D-backs and such will make noise here and there and maybe even advance in the playoffs but at the end of the day it will be these main stories that garner all of the headlines thus taking the spotlight off of the sport and placing it on certain entities that others outside of these items will cling to. Sammy Sosa was huge because he played for the cub and at the time they were a nothing and a new entity was there to follow.

Football is successful today because going into a season every team has a chance and all fans in all cities are excited. Sure there are things like a limited number of games therefore even if you go 0-4, you still may think you have a shot, hey 9-3 the rest of the way and we can get a wildcard. If in baseball a team was 0-41 (tigers last year) and a team was 41-0 (tigers in 84) what is the hope and therefore baseball is over in May and lingers like bad cheese throught the remainder of the summer and early fall. Then when the palyoffs come around your interest ahs passed and you look at your football team.

This is in my mind where baseball will suffer. The cubs were huge becasue they added flair to the part of the season that matters most to the sport the playoffs.

cw, I have to disagree with you to an extent. I am not sure that a salary cap is the only answer, nor am I confident that if one is implemented it will be in a format that will work well.

But baseball has not always been this way. Yes the Yankees have pretty much had an advantage over everyone else and money was always a factor. In many years there were a few teams that didn't really have a chance going into spring training because of the inequities. But look at the current situation.

The Red Sox have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball at about $20 million higher than the next closest team. The Yankees is $50 million higher than that and seems to keep growing. The gap between teams has never been wider than it is today.

Yes, other teams have an opportunity to win the WS or have a great year. But to me there is more to the game than just hoping some team can knock off the Yankees.

Unfortunately, I do not have the answer, but as someone who is very familiar with the game and its history, I am not comfortable with the direction the game has taken. Baseball is very resilient and will likely survive anything in the long run, but I just don't like the way it is heading. It seems like there are tremors that we need to stop ignoring before a real earthquake hits.

I am not talking just about money woes, because I think they are only a part of it. But I do believe that the money in the game now has contributed to most of the game's problems. Remember, in the 50's the players made good money, but they made nowhere near what the player makes today compared to the average person. They should be paid and paid well, but it has gotten to the point of ridiculousness.

The already were, or if they weren't they were pretty damned close.

Exactly. No one complained about this when they had both a healthy Boone and Soriano in their lineup. Now that they added ARod and subtracted Soriano all of a sudden they are the best offense in all of baseball. Which is better offensively?ARod and Cairo/Wilson or Soriano and Boone? Soriano is not some piece of s*** offensively. 35/35 all star.