Yankees Are Ruining Baseball

hogan873

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But, you can't force people to spend money they don't have.

Also, that could hurt baseball by not allowing enough flexibility to make moves.

Yep. It's not logical at this point. Too many contracts worth too much $$ out there already. A cap wont work.

Yes.. the best offense in baseball in 2000 ended the year on this fine note..

Statistics: 2000 Postseason - Total

Batting Statistics

NAME G AB R H 2B 3B HR TB RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

M. Ordonez 3 11 0 2 0 1 0 4 1 2 2 1 0 .182 .308 .364 .671

Carlos Lee 3 11 0 1 1 0 0 2 1 0 2 0 0 .091 .083 .182 .265

Jose Valentin 3 10 2 3 2 0 0 5 1 2 2 3 0 .300 .417 .500 .917

Ray Durham 3 10 2 2 1 0 1 6 1 3 3 0 0 .200 .385 .600 .985

Frank Thomas 3 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 .000 .308 .000 .308

Herbert Perry 3 9 0 4 1 0 0 5 1 2 2 0 0 .444 .500 .556 1.056

C. Johnson 3 9 0 3 0 0 0 3 0 1 1 0 0 .333 .455 .333 .788

Paul Konerko 3 9 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 .000 .100 .000 .100

C. Singleton 3 9 1 1 0 1 0 3 1 0 2 0 0 .111 .111 .333 .444

Harold Baines 2 4 1 1 1 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 .250 .250 .500 .750

Jeff Abbott 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000

T. Graffanino 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000

M. Christensen 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000

Josh Paul 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000

NAME G AB R H 2B 3B HR TB RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

White Sox 3 92 7 17 6 2 1 30 6 15 16 4 0 .185 .300 .326 .626

:lol:

Being lucky rather than good only gets you so far...

But, you can't force people to spend money they don't have.

Also, that could hurt baseball by not allowing enough flexibility to make moves.

If they can't spend 40M-50M on a team, they shouldn't be in the business. (Of course this is saying things are as they are today - higher contracts, etc.) :ph34r:

With a minimum, couldn't it be written into the franchise agreement - something like "if said owner cannot meet the minimum they have to sell or something like that?"

Then how does this work in the NBA or NFL? Don't they have both a max and a min?

I know the NFL has a cap which has seemed to be good for the league. I don't know if there is a minimum there though. I don't know crap about NBA so I will zip the lip on that one.

If they can't spend 40M-50M on a team, they shouldn't be in the business. (Of course this is saying things are as they are today - higher contracts, etc.)  :ph34r:

With a minimum, couldn't it be written into the franchise agreement - something like "if said owner cannot meet the minimum they have to sell or something like that?"

Fan.. in theory it's a great idea. But it's too late. If you set the max at $150 million.. do the Yankees take pay cuts..?

If you set the min at $80 million does that mean that the Marlins would have had to give their team raises last year?

The standard has been set. This sport is ruined as far as installing/enforcing a cap.

Fan.. in theory it's a great idea. But it's too late. If you set the max at $150 million.. do the Yankees take pay cuts..?

If you set the min at $80 million does that mean that the Marlins would have had to give their team raises last year?

The standard has been set. This sport is ruined as far as installing/enforcing a cap.

Than what is the answer? No one said everyone would be happy with said changes, but there comes a time when change is necessary. No matter what change is instituted, someone will have a b**** fit and someone will love it. And with change come sacrafice and strategy.

I would think they would have to announce that a cap would be enforced 5 years from whatever date. This would give teams enough time to make arrangements, and there could also be some exceptions in certain circumstances for being over the cap after the 5-year period.

I would think they would have to announce that a cap would be enforced 5 years from whatever date.  This would give teams enough time to make arrangements, and there could also be some exceptions in certain circumstances for being over the cap after the 5-year period.

The being enforced in 5 years seems right. Having exceptions does not.

Than what is the answer?  No one said everyone would be happy with said changes, but there comes a time when change is necessary.  No matter what change is instituted, someone will have a b**** fit and someone will love it.  And with change come sacrafice and strategy.

Fan.. I have no idea. :huh

The title of this thread (subtitle at least) implies that Yankee fans aren't real fans, which I would disagree with, just wanted to point that out. Did anyone else catch that? Because obviously this trade didn't ruin baseball for Yankee fans.

I would think they would have to announce that a cap would be enforced 5 years from whatever date.  This would give teams enough time to make arrangements, and there could also be some exceptions in certain circumstances for being over the cap after the 5-year period.

There would have to be simply based on yesterday's signing..

Otherwise the cap doesn't go into effect until after all existing contracts are complete. Which will do no good.. baseball will be ruined by then.

The title of this thread (subtitle at least) implies that Yankee fans aren't real fans, which I would disagree with, just wanted to point that out.  Did anyone else catch that?  Because obviously this trade didn't ruin baseball for Yankee fans.

I didn't really know what this person was implying. Yank fans are pretty knowledgable and they are definately real baseball fans.

I didn't really know what this person was implying. Yank fans are pretty knowledgable and they are definately real baseball fans.

Yeap, they sure are. In fact I am having dinner tonight with one of the biggest Yankee fans I've ever met...Then again, he is neither annoying nor an arrogant asshole so I dunno whether he can really be called a Yankee fan. I think what sets him apart from other Yank fans is that he actually feels my pain as a White Sox fan.

Well then if we go the other way and look at the BA of the Cardinals last year as the best offensive team in baseball then that is even better. They didn't even make the playoffs. Sounds good to me. The best offense in baseball for 2004 not even making the playoffs? According to some around here that would be the Yanks. Since they just acquired ARod to give them the best offense in baseball. I would be for that.

However, I do remember most talking about the 2 best offenses in baseball last year. It was always the Braves and the Red Sox as being the best. Both were the leader in runs scored in their respective leagues. I think runs scored is what the majority of people go by when comparing offenses. People who go by batting average to compare offenses would be in the minority. Just a guess. Why don't we take a poll?

The being enforced in 5 years seems right. Having exceptions does not.

I was thinking along the lines of, the Sox sign player Mike Jones to a 6-year deal in year 3 of this 5 year transitional period. Two years after signing the deal, Mr. Jones goes motorcycling with Jay Williams and Aaron Rowand and gets his legs severed. I think the Sox should not have the remainder of his contract count against the cap.

I was thinking along the lines of, the Sox sign player Mike Jones to a 6-year deal in year 3 of this 5 year transitional period.  Two years after signing the deal, Mr. Jones goes motorcycling with Jay Williams and Aaron Rowand and gets his legs severed.  I think the Sox should not have the remainder of his contract count against the cap.

Ok, I understand waht you are saying now. That seems fair.