Censorship on Soxtalk.com

israel4ever

Ladies and Gentlemen:

It has come to my attention that Soxtalk.com has temporarily suspended "Steve Bartman is My Idol", for allegedly posting "blatant lies" on the site. (BTW, he is my brother...we are not the same person. He is a die hard Sox fan, is extremely knowledgable about baseball, and is distraught (yeah right!!!) about his suspension!

This is problematic to me for the following reasons:

1) There are only a "million or so" trade rumors posted on Soxtalk.com on a daily basis, 99.9% of which are unsubstantiated.

2) You have "posters" like Apu, for example, who is allowed to spout off his "knowledge" on a myriad of topics, much of which he knows little or nothing about.

3) You have other "posters" who attempt to abuse and mock others, use derogatory and/or inflammatory and/or offensive language towards others; they are not censored or suspended.

Please explain your policies for suspensions on your site. It is my understanding that we live in the USA, where we still enjoy Freedom of Speech and other such freedoms...maybe I'm wrong.

:usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade rumor is one thing.  Flat out lying and saying that I HEARD THIS RUMOR ON ESPN is another thing.  It won't be tolerated.

If that is the kind of site you want, try the public boards.

I just listened to the sportscenter update on ESPN 1000, and there is a quote out out there that Thomas wants to be traded. I just didn't hear the source because the walkman I'm listenening decided to shell out static right before that moment. :bang

I just listened to the sportscenter update on ESPN 1000, and there is a quote out out there that Thomas wants to be traded.  I just didn't hear the source because the walkman I'm listenening decided to shell out static right before that moment. :bang

No one else could verify it, and it wasn't on their site. If this is true, I apoligize and will fix the suspension.

Bartman and Israel4Ever are the same person as shown by the IP addresses which also reveal where they work -

whether this was reported on ESPN 1000 I do not know because I am in Michigan - but by the same token Bartmnan and I4E are in Virginia where there is less chance of them hearing it than me

funny how they only post at the same time -

so whatever game is being played - there is something not right here

Bartman and Israel4Ever are the same person as shown by the IP addresses which also reveal where they work -

whether this was reported on ESPN 1000 I do not know because I am in Michigan - but by the same token Bartmnan and I4E are in Virginia where there is less chance of them hearing it than me

so whatever game is being played -  there is something not right here

:huh

Where did you hear he lives in Virginia?

In Pale Hose Talk he stated how he works at O'Hare........terminal 5.

The policy is simple. You shell out money to start and maintain a BBS system and you can do whatever you please. I love it when capitalism and free speech collide. :D

I believe the real powers to be here (not the mods) are more tolerant than I would be in the same situation. I cannot suspend anyone and have barely learned how to delete a post and close a thread. ;)

I just listened to the sportscenter update on ESPN 1000, and there is a quote out out there that Thomas wants to be traded.  I just didn't hear the source because the walkman I'm listenening decided to shell out static right before that moment. :bang

We will accept yor public apologies, and my brother's reinstatement at any time!!!!

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

:usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa :usa

so whatever game is being played -  there is something not right here

The IP addresses are based out of Virginia because we work for the Federal Government.

I don't think that we owe you an explanation, but here it is!!!

Come see us at Terminal 5, Dept. of Homeland Security...there are not any other brother-combos that are Sox fans here.

Be warned though, if we see you here, we cannot/will not be responsible for what ensues!!!

Nope...it makes you a presumptive, repetitive bore!

That was necessary... :headshake

Geezus.. just doing their job to not let this site turn into the other s*** boards out there. IMO, this thread is bulls*** and issues like this is what PM's are for.

"Steve" thanks you!

It wasn't totally about "steve" personally...I don't believe in censorship, so I had to write to express this to you.

Sure, "incendiary language" has to be censored, but, "Steve" only reported on something he heard on the radio...there was nothing inflammatory about anything he said.

Additionally, what would "steve" have had to gain by making up and posting lies on the site?

That was necessary...  :headshake

Geezus.. just doing their job to not let this site turn into the other s*** boards out there. IMO, this thread is bulls*** and issues like this is what PM's are for.

It doesn't bother me. That is part of the genuiness of this site, is the Admins and Mods won't hide from their actions, and act like they are better than the posters who really make up their site.

If they want discussions out in public, that is fine.

"Steve" thanks you!

It wasn't totally about "steve" personally...I don't believe in censorship, so I had to write to express this to you.

Sure, "incendiary language" has to be censored, but, "Steve" only reported on something he heard on the radio...there was nothing inflammatory about anything he said.

Additionally, what would "steve" have had to gain by making up and posting lies on the site?

He would have thanked you personally, but, he's still "locked out"!!!

Why does anyone make up s***? To rock the boat. Unfortunately this place has seen way too much of that bulls***, and it's caused a lot of trouble here. Fool them once.. shame on you, fool them twice shame on them.. try a third time and you better duck.

"Steve" thanks you!

I invite you to hang out for a week on one of the public boards, and you will know exactly what I am trying to aviod. The plethora of complete garbage overwealms any intelligent conversation and forces good posters to look for other places for information. At Soxtalk just about anything is tolerated, but their are lines. Allowing people to intentionally degrade this site by making stuff up won't be allowed.

And as to the what would he have to gain, the answer is I don't know. Why do people troll at all? There must be something to gain from it. Entertainment, revenge, boredom, they could all be reasons for this type of behavior. It happens all the time. It is the big reason that I left the ESPN.com board.

I invite you to hang out for a week on one of the public boards, and you will know exactly what I am trying to aviod.  The plethora of complete garbage overwealms any intelligent conversation and forces good posters to look for other places for information.  At Soxtalk just about anything is tolerated, but their are lines.  Allowing people to intentionally degrade this site by making stuff up won't be allowed. 

And as to the what would he have to gain, the answer is I don't know.  Why do people troll at all?  There must be something to gain from it.  Entertainment, revenge, boredom, they could all be reasons for this type of behavior. It happens all the time.  It is the big reason that I left the ESPN.com board.

I agree.

Lets "kill" this topic!