ISP Address question

Steff

And that number always changes? Is it possible that the number would NOT change? Do computers have a perm address that does not change? Is that the proxy address?

It is random. Most companies have a block of #'s Purely for example sake say I have SS's dial up service. All ISP's have 4 blocks of #'s that are 0-255. Say my ISP is 200.100.150.(0-255). The last # is the one that changes. The first 3 sets of numbers don't change, the last one does. When you dial in, it just assigns an open number (whatever system they use) to you at that time. Then when you hang up and dial in again, the same process happens again.

It is random.  Most companies have a block of #'s  Purely for example sake say I have SS's dial up service.  All ISP's have 4 blocks of #'s that are 0-255.  Say my ISP is 200.100.150.(0-255).  The last # is the one that changes.  The first 3 sets of numbers don't change, the last one does.  When you dial in, it just assigns an open number (whatever system they use) to you at that time.  Then when you hang up and dial in again, the same process happens again.

Would this hold the same for entire computer labs?

I was under the impression that if I was ever banned from one computer I could just move one over and there wouldnt be a problem. But if the last four blocks are the same, then couldn't you ban the entire UIC network from accessing this site? :ph34r:

I was under the impression that if I was ever banned from one computer I could just move one over and there wouldnt be a problem.  But if the last four blocks are the same, then couldn't you ban the entire UIC network from accessing this site? :ph34r:

Now High speed access is different because people then have assigned static IP addresses. So technically one could just keep moving down from terminal to terminal. But the way this board works, you can ban a whole block of addresses. So yes would could lock out a whole network.

I was under the impression that if I was ever banned from one computer I could just move one over and there wouldnt be a problem.  But if the last four blocks are the same, then couldn't you ban the entire UIC network from accessing this site? :ph34r:

If you are in a school computer lab or at work, there is a good chance you are going through a proxy server to get to the web. The proxy server is used to keep the outside world from the internal network and to also to control where you can surf. You can switch from one machine to another inside the network and have a different ip, but the ip that shows to the outside world will be the ip of the proxy server. So two people posting from the same internal network would look like they are coming from the same ip. The network guys at your school could check the logs a see which machine had a given ip at a certain time and where it was surfing. This is also true most times when you are using an isp and you do not have a static ip. The ip that shows here will be some gateway from the isp. If there was some legal issue, the isp could look at it's DHCP logs and tell who had a particular ip address at a certain time and trace something back to you.

Open a DOS window and type "ipconfig \all"

This will show you all your ip information and tell you if you are using DHCP or not. It will also tell you if the DHCP address is leased and when the lease expires and you are forced to get a new ip from the DHCP server.

Next, type "tracert www.soxtalk.com"

This will show you all the different routers and machines you go through to get to soxtalk.

If your in a computer lab, they are sharing the same network and would have the same IP addie, so if you moved you would still be banned.

Now if they have seperate connections, thats a different story, although no computer lab does that.

Any dialup IP randomly changes, everyone else has a static ip (Meaning it doesn't change).