Dodgers Aiming For Konerko, Thomas

C.Rector

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,20...1962367,00.html

New owner, GM but still no big bat

By Rich Hammond

Staff Writer

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Is it Frank McCourt's fault? Dan Evans' fault? News Corp.? Bud Selig? The shadowy figure on the grass knoll? It doesn't matter. At this point, the blame games won't solve anything for the Dodgers, and it won't get them what they desperately need: a cleanup hitter.

Almost a full calendar year after it became painfully obvious that the Dodgers needed offensive help, it still hasn't arrived. If the season started today, their cleanup hitter probably would be Adrian Beltre, a sobering thought given Beltre's massive lack of consistency.

The season doesn't start for another seven weeks, but Dodgers players begin reporting to spring training today knowing that if a significant trade isn't made by April 5, the Dodgers will be baseball's biggest offseason joke and long shots to even contend in the National League West.

What was supposed to be a glorious winter turned into a nightmare for the Dodgers. An outstanding array of hitters -- including Nomar Garciaparra, Vladimir Guerrero, Derrek Lee, Magglio Ordonez and Richie Sexson -- each seemed headed to the Dodgers at various points, only to have potential trades fall through.

So the Dodgers will arrive here, look at Juan Encarnacion and Bubba Trammell, and wonder what happened. The money the Dodgers saved by cutting loose Andy Ashby, Kevin Brown and Brian Jordan is now sitting in McCourt's pocket, not Guerrero's, and that fact has left many fans irate.

There's a good chance the Dodgers can pull off a trade for a player such as the Chicago White Sox's Paul Konerko or Frank Thomas, but those names pale in comparison to what could have been.

The Dodgers, as they exist now, don't seem prepared to match last season's 85-77 record and second-place finish in the NL West. At least on paper, the lineup looks worse than the 2003 group, which scored the fewest runs in baseball and was shut out 13 times.

The Dodgers took the first step in trying to upgrade the offense Tuesday with the hiring of former Montreal Expos and Dodgers third baseman Tim Wallach as batting instructor, a position vacant since the end of last season.

One positive for the Dodgers is that their top hitter, Shawn Green, is bound to improve. Green hit 19 home runs last season, a staggering decline considering his annual 40-homer potential, but Green admitted midway though the season that a shoulder injury had restricted his ability to drive the ball.

Offseason surgery should return Green to his previous form, but Green's best efforts have been in seasons when he was a supporting hitter, a strong No. 3 or No. 5 spot in the lineup. He seems to be more comfortable in one of those spots, but how will he be impacted if the Dodgers can't make a trade, and will the possible stress of moving to first base weigh on his mind?

Another player to watch in the spring is Paul Lo Duca, the Dodgers' All-Star catcher. Lo Duca hit .226 with one home run after the All-Star break but to his credit, he played through significant injuries and never admitted their seriousness because he didn't want to come out of the lineup or make excuses.

The top of the batting order -- Dave Roberts, Lo Duca and Green -- looks solid, but it falls apart after that. Beltre and Encarnacion are chronic underachievers, and while Alex Cora and Cesar Izturis are superb in the field, they had on-base percentages well under .300 last season.

Roberts is always playing for a contract, Lo Duca is in the final year of his and Beltre will be eligible for free agency next winter, so there is some financial incentive for the Dodgers to get things done.

Then there's the pitching staff, arguably the best in baseball in 2003 and arguably the best in Dodgers history since the Don Drysdale-Sandy Koufax days.

The rotation took a hit when Brown, the staff ace, was traded to the New York Yankees for Jeff Weaver (Simi Valley High), but the Dodgers retained plenty of candidates for what should be another solid rotation.

Hideo Nomo would have earned Cy Young Award consideration last season if not for the Dodgers' terrible offense, Wilson Alvarez turned in a stunning comeback season and Edwin Jackson showed flashes of brilliance as a 20-year-old rookie who looked like a future star.

Then there are three less-than-sure things. Kazuhisa Ishii has struggled with control, Odalis Perez has been inconsistent and alienated teammates with disparaging public comments, Darren Dreifort hasn't made more than 16 starts in a season since 2000 and Weaver must rebound from a terrible stint in New York.

Evans took a preliminary look at Greg Maddux, who might have filled the Brown role, but the Dodgers should find five strong starters without the former Atlanta Brave.

The bullpen suffered a big loss when top setup man Paul Quantrill signed with the Yankees, but Eric Gagne shows no signs of slowing down, Guillermo Mota looks more than capable of filling Quantrill's role and the Dodgers hope Steve Colyer can hold down one of the setup roles.

For better or worse, those are the 2004 Dodgers, at least for now. -- With Associated Press

Rich Hammond, (818) 713-3611 [email protected]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a good chance the Dodgers can pull off a trade for a player such as the Chicago White Sox's Paul Konerko or Frank Thomas, but those names pale in comparison to what could have been.

Man, that's a tough sentence to swallow.

From having one of the best 7-year stretches in baseball history to "paling in comparison" to DERREK LEE????

Damn....

I think Frank could use a change of scenery, it just seems like he doesnt really want to be a part of the side show anymore, and he's kinda pouting because of it.

If Frank really wants out, its because he's sick and tired of being treated like dirt by the likes of KW & Ozzie. As for the White Sox, how can you say that its a "sideshow"?

Steff, you know it.  Frank has kept himself in excellent shape but I can't see him playing 120 games at 1st without hurting himself or someone else.

its a shame to think that a "supposed" athelete like Frank cant f***ing stand on a base and catch a ball for 160 games. He should be ashamed that he doesnt wanna play first.

its a shame to think that a "supposed" athelete like Frank cant f***ing stand on a base and catch a ball for 160 games. He should be ashamed that he doesnt wanna play first.

You think it's cause he doesn't want to..? I can't imagine a guy like Frank not wanting to excel at what he does. IMO, he's just lost the ability to play more than twice, maybe three times, a week. I think it's very damaging to him emotionally that he isn't what he once was.

You think it's cause he doesn't want to..? I can't imagine a guy like Frank not wanting to excel at what he does. IMO, he's just lost the ability to play more than twice, maybe three times, a week. I think it's very damaging to him emotionally that he isn't what he once was.

And he can't throw, which you don't have to do much as a first baseman, but then again, you never know when that weakness could be exploited. He has the worst arm in all of baseball that I've ever seen.

And he can't throw, which you don't have to do much as a first baseman, but then again, you never know when that weakness could be exploited.  He has the worst arm in all of baseball that I've ever seen.

Chuck Knob-I accidentally throw into the dugout every few games-block... :lol:

Steff, you know it.  Frank has kept himself in excellent shape but I can't see him playing 120 games at 1st without hurting himself or someone else.

why do people keep saying that about him he has had one injury playing firstbase now all of a sudden he cant play there without getting hurt, im really confused? pls help me texsox. give up PK but not thomas.

why do people keep saying that about him he has had one injury playing firstbase now all of a sudden he cant play there without getting hurt, im really confused? pls help me texsox. give up PK but not thomas.

For starters.. he is old and over the hill :lol:

Seriously 420.. I think it's just cause Frank is so used to not playing the field 162 games a year that makes him a liability. If he played more, he would obviously only get better. But to go from 10 games a year to 120.. even for Frank in top condition I don't think that's possible.

For starters.. he is old and over the hill  :lol:

Seriously 420.. I think it's just cause Frank is so used to not playing the field 162 games a year that makes him a liability. If he played more, he would obviously only get better. But to go from 10 games a year to 120.. even for Frank in top condition I don't think that's possible.

first base isnt really that demanding of a position all it takes is foot work, and being able to catch/scoop. its not exactly ss or the outfield.