come fly with me

cwsox

According to airline-security documents obtained by this magazine, the name Osama bin Laden was punched into the computer by an airline official and, remarkably, that name was cleared at the security checkpoint all passengers must pass through before being issued a boarding pass.

computer glitch :bang

does anyone seriously think that someone with the name Osama Bin Laden would be allowed to board without question? I sure the heck would stop him--name on list or not. if he really wanted to he could get on a plane despite our efforts to thwart him.

we'd be safe with him on a plane

he doesn't have the cajones to kill himself

Actually, if we want to get technical, he has more balls than a lot of the Chickenhawks that make up the current administration. Lest we forget, Osama was on the front lines of the Afghan-Russian war in the late 70s/early 80s and it was because of the CIA funding, training and arming that Al Qaeda was able to get so prominent. It is because of this military experience that many Afghans like Osama because they fought against the "Russian invaders" but also against the "American infidels".

My question is why are we going after Muslims and putting them on watch lists to the point where it's essentially become racial profiling? I mean, yes most terrorists are strict Wahhabists in fundamentalist Islam but when Tim McVeigh blew up the Oklahoma City federal building, there was no blanket alert to search all white people and put them on watch lists or anything like that.

My friend Sara has an uncle who worked for the BBC, Financial Times and other newspapers and was invited by the State Department to come to a press dinner. After he gets off the plane, invitation in hand, he was detained for hours because he fit a profile of a Muslim man and the authorities interrogated him until they realized their snafu when they called the State Department. No apology was ever given and he went straight back to Pakistan saying he'll never come back to the States again because of the horrendous treatment he received for no reason. So I'm a little touchy on the racial profiling.

Note: My chickenhawks comment was not just about Bush, but also Cheney, Rove, etc.

Chickenhawk n. A person enthusiastic about war, provided someone else fights it; particularly when that enthusiasm is undimmed by personal experience with war; most emphatically when that lack of experience came in spite of ample opportunity in that person’s youth

The list of chickenhawks:

http://www.nhgazette.com/cgi-bin/NHGstore....%20Chickenhawks

Actually, if we want to get technical, he has more balls than a lot of the Chickenhawks that make up the current administration.  Lest we forget, Osama was on the front lines of the Afghan-Russian war in the late 70s/early 80s and it was because of the CIA funding, training and arming that Al Qaeda was able to get so prominent.  It is because of this military experience that many Afghans like Osama because they fought against the "Russian invaders" but also against the "American infidels".

My question is why are we going after Muslims and putting them on watch lists to the point where it's essentially become racial profiling?  I mean, yes most terrorists are strict Wahhabists in fundamentalist Islam but when Tim McVeigh blew up the Oklahoma City federal building, there was no blanket alert to search all white people and put them on watch lists or anything like that.

My friend Sara has an uncle who worked for the BBC, Financial Times and other newspapers and was invited by the State Department to come to a press dinner.  After he gets off the plane, invitation in hand, he was detained for hours because he fit a profile of a Muslim man and the authorities interrogated him until they realized their snafu when they called the State Department.  No apology was ever given and he went straight back to Pakistan saying he'll never come back to the States again because of the horrendous treatment he received for no reason.  So I'm a little touchy on the racial profiling.

how did i know that was coming :o

computer glitch :bang

does anyone seriously think that someone with the name Osama Bin Laden would be allowed to board without question? I sure the heck would stop him--name on list or not. if he really wanted to he could get on a plane despite our efforts to thwart him.

I think you missed the point.

The point is not just that Osama can go through, but that there are enough loopholes in the system that terrorists can get on airplanes.

Obviously anyone with the name Osama Bin Laden would be questioned, but what about a terrorist with a name not familiar to the general public? If that computer doesn't pick him up, he is on the plane.