Wallace traded to Detroit

aboz56

Associated Press

DETROIT -- Rasheed Wallace moved to the Detroit Pistons in a three-team trade Thursday after playing just one game for the Atlanta Hawks.

Atlanta acquired Wallace from Portland last week.

In a deal put together shortly before Thursday's NBA trading deadline, the Pistons sent center Zeljko Rebraca, guard Bob Sura and a first-round draft pick to the Hawks. Detroit also sent guards Lindsey Hunter and Chucky Atkins and cash to the Boston Celtics.

The Pistons received guard Mike James from the Celtics.

Portland sent Wallace and reserve Wesley Person to Atlanta for Shareef Abdur-Rahim and two other players Feb. 9.

The Pistons figure Wallace, who's averaging 17.1 points and 6.6 rebounds, can provide frontcourt help for the playoffs. They had the best record in the East last season but were swept by the New Jersey Nets in the conference finals.

Under first-year coach Larry Brown, Detroit is 34-22 and in second place in the Central Division.

In his eighth NBA season, Wallace's contract and turbulent history made him a prime trade candidate this season. He's in the final year of a contract that pays him $17 million this season.

Wallace was called for a league-record 41 technical fouls in the 2000-01 season. Last season, he and teammate Damon Stoudamire were cited in Washington state on marijuana charges while returning from a game in Seattle.

Then the NBA suspended Wallace for seven games for threatening an official on an arena loading dock after a home game. That was the longest NBA suspension for something that didn't involve physical contact or substance abuse.

Tremendous trade for the Pistons.  TO me this could make them potential favorites in the Eastern Conference.  And if Darko every comes along, they could have a very good front court.

This all assumes that Brown can get Rasheed to play.

And Rasheed doesn't walk away after this year. They have a lot of guys on that front line, including Price and the REAL Wallace.

And Rasheed doesn't walk away after this year.  They have a lot of guys on that front line, including Price and the REAL Wallace.

Their front court will push them through the east. Plus Rasheed with Wallace down low, damn, thats just nasty.

Agreed though, they'll have to resign him. I'm assuming the guys Detroit dealt have ending contracts?

This way the Hawks are just getting mroe ending contracts (Which is the real reason they acquired Rasheed) and they'll lose the two players they got but they need another first round pick.

I'm assuming thats how the Hawks are looking at it. I know the reason they got Person and Rasheed was to cut all thier long term contracts and rebuild (cause things obviously weren't working). And Ratliff and Rahim had long term deals.

The more I think of this, this does make sense from the Hawks perspective. They still get the same payroll flexibility but add a draft pick (Too bad they couldn't broker it into a 3 way deal where they got a better pick).

I'm just quoting what I saw on ESPN. :lol:

I guess one of the teams didn't get the papers signed and filed on the trade in time for them to be allowed to play.  So the Pistons got word of this at halftime, and 'Sheed and Mike James couldn't play the 2nd half.

Which probably cost them the game.

Kind of ironic that it happens against Minnesota. In Detroit's other game against Minnesota this year, I believe Billups was fouled pretty hard on the last shot of the game and it went uncalled, or in other words, there is a good chance Detroit should have beaten Minnesota both times they played them this year, and instead lose both times. Kind of funny how things work out.

Which probably cost them the game.

Kind of ironic that it happens against Minnesota.  In Detroit's other game against Minnesota this year, I believe Billups was fouled pretty hard on the last shot of the game and it went uncalled, or in other words, there is a good chance Detroit should have beaten Minnesota both times they played them this year, and instead lose both times.  Kind of funny how things work out.

True...

I'm just glad they lost them! :lol: I'm a Pacers fan, and this trade couldn't have happened at a better time for the Pistons. The Pacers have lost Artest for a little bit after just going under surgery on his thumb that has been a bother all season. Putting the other Wallace into Detroit probably gives them the best front court in the East. The Pistons have a good shot at gaining a little ground on Indiana while Artest is out.

True...

I'm just glad they lost them! :lol: I'm a Pacers fan, and this trade couldn't have happened at a better time for the Pistons.  The Pacers have lost Artest for a little bit after just going under surgery on his thumb that has been a bother all season.  Putting the other Wallace into Detroit probably gives them the best front court in the East.  The Pistons have a good shot at gaining a little ground on Indiana while Artest is out.

IMO, it is not a good shot for Detroit to gain ground. They will gain ground, period.