Where can Maggs go realistically aftre this year?

sox-r-us

If we assume for a minute that Maggs wants 14 mill a year at least for 4 years, which team can realistically give it to him in the offseason?

The Yankees have no chance now that their payroll is ~$200mill, and they have Sheffield and Matsui as their OF'ers.

The Angels will not throw that kind of money at him given they got their OF'er in Vlad Guerrerro this off season

The Cubs will not be able to give him that contract especially since I doubt Sosa opts for FA now that the Yanks are out of bidding for him, and given Maddux' contract, and the need to extend Kerry Wood, and find someone to play SS

The Padres can give him a huge contract to get a marquee face (like the Tigers did with IRod), but Maggs would be foolish to go play for a non-contender when he could return to the Sox for a little less

The Texas Rangers will not spend on hitting, they need to spend on pitching

In my mind, the BoSox, Mariners. Dodgers and Orioles might be the most likely destinations for Maggs, in my mind, since they will be the only ones with any payroll possibilities

The BoSox might let Nomar go and then replace his O with Maggs in the OF opposite Man-Ram, though I am not sure for how long they have signed Trot Nixon, and they do have to extend Pedro too maybe

The Ms will get some payroll with Edgar M finally retiring, and they could use Maggs in LF or move Ichiro to LF

The Dodgers new ownership will need to get some O in there, and Maggs can be their corenerstone player

The Os might decide to continue to spend to compete in that crazy AL East

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the teams you highlighted are correct,

-but if Boston signs Nomar to an extension then probably no... also I don't know if Boston is going to want to have 20m in right field with Manny and 14m in left with Mags, that's just an awful lot to have in the outfield...

-I think Dodgers are most likely (maybe wishful thinking since I'm a Dodgers fan)

-I think the White Sox are a possibility still as well... with every contract coming out (Vlad, Tejada, and now Pujols (SP?) Mags has to realize he won't be getting 14-15 million, so if Sox are willing not to defer a ton of money I can see him re-signing

Not re-signing Maggs would be a huge loss. Not just because he's a great player with a bright future. If the Sox don't offer him a multi-year deal worth at least $12 million a year, there's no way to retain him. I just don't want to see him go somewhere else and the Sox getting nothing in return. Let's hope.

I hate having players on my favorite team that hit .312 and averaged 40 doubles, 32 home runs and 118 RBI, over their last 5 seasons

You hate taht about as much as I love giving overrated players on the wrong side of 30 5/75 Mill payolas....when the entire team budget barely stays over 50 Mill year in and out.....even when the team owner "goes for it".

But hey....32 homers in the Juice Era.....that's, um, something.

:rolleyes:

But hey....32 homers in the Juice Era.....that's, um, something.

That's true, but Dan and Terry on the score were talking about how players who haven't been using steroids may benefit if players are scared off steroids.

-Along that same line they brought up the topic of whether or not Frank should be looked at in a higher regard since he put up great numbers during his prime without steroids

You hate to say it?  What's wrong w/ Mags? 

I hate having players on my favorite team that hit .312 and averaged 40 doubles, 32 home runs and 118 RBI, over their last 5 seasons.

geez I was giving the Sox as a team he would sign with. I truly think he'll have to, its the best scenerio for him and the Sox as an organization.

I hope we know one way or the other, by the A/S break, whether we have a legit shot at the division or no

We could get a very good pitching prospect by trading Maggs at the trade deadline to a team trying to beat the Yanks to win it all (maybe the As, Ms or Angels)

I would hate to keep him all year, not win the division (like last year) and then lose him in the offseason for nothing

geez I was giving the Sox as a team he would sign with.  I truly think he'll have to, its the best scenerio for him and the Sox as an organization.

I'm not trying to bash you. I was just wondering why you wouldn't want Mags on our team. C. Lee's gaining on him, but he may be the most productive guy in the lineup.

The Padres can give him a huge contract to get a marquee face (like the Tigers did with IRod), but Maggs would be foolish to go play for a non-contender when he could return to the Sox for a little less

Huh? If that offense is healthy, to put it plainly, they could be real good. Klesko, Nevin, Giles, Payton, and Hernandez(a good hitting catcher), along with Loretta and Vazquez up the middle....I personally like their chances a lot. Probably will have a lineup that looks like...

Loretta - 2B

Vazquez - SS

Payton - CF

Giles - LF

Nevin - RF

Klesko - 1B

Hernandez - C

Burroughs - 3B

pitcher

To me, that looks like it is probably the best lineup in the NL West, and it would kick our ass, I can almost guarantee that. A solid staff with Wells, Lawrence, Valdes, Peavy and Eaton, and a bullpen that will have Hoffman back, along with Osuna, Hitchcock, Witasick, Scott Linebrink(who had a pretty solid year last year), along with Rod Beck, who was better then a lot of people expected him to be last year(including myself). And then their bench has Terrence Long, Jeff Cirillo, Brian Buchanan(I remember seeing him when he was with the Twins, if he ever gets a hold of one, he'll hit it a mile....very good power guy off the bench), as well as Todd Sears(another former Twink)....I like their chances of competing a lot. I look at that team and see a team that could be NLCS material.

You are correct in saying that Maggs will not sign there though. As deep as they are, they have no need to sign him. The biggest weakness I see in that team is that they do not have a great cleanup hitter. Me, I personally feel that Brian Giles is better suited as a #3 hitter, but in this lineup, I have him batting cleanup. I have him there because I tried to balance the lineup up evenly into L-R-L-R order. That's why Jay Payton is batting cleanup, when he really should be batting 5th at the highest, but preferably 6th or 7th. If they would be willing, I could easily see a trade like Klesko for Maggs of some type....maybe have them include like Peavy and/or Witasick, or maybe we get one/both of those two and then take on a guy with a decent sized salary(like maybe Terrence Long for instance, who will probably make $4 mill or so in each of the next two years). They would then move Nevin to 1B and put Maggs in RF, making their lineup look like this...

Loretta - 2B

Vazquez - SS

Giles - LF

Maggs - RF

Nevin - 1B

Payton - CF

Hernandez - C

Burroughs - 3B

pitcher

At that point they are quite possibly too right-handed, with no lefties in the order from 4-7...that then becomes a problem as well, and then they either trade for Todd Hundley and hope for the best( :D ), they trade Payton for a good powerhitting LH CF, leave it like it is, or they can look to trade Loretta along with others to Montreal for possibly Vidro(and Montreal will probably be out of the race by then). Vazquez would then probably move to the top, Payton to #2(not a great spot for him, but it is better then #3), Giles remains at 3, same with Maggs at 4, Vidro goes in at #5, and Nevin slips down to #6, with the rest remaining the same.

Anyways, sorry to talk extensively about the Padres on a White Sox message board(the funny thing is, I have never followed the Padres in my life, in fact, the only time I have ever cheered for the Padres was the 1998 World Series, and they got swept then, which was no fun), but that non-contender thing irked me a little bit, and then one thing let to another, and before you know it, there is about a book and then some on the Padres. Oh well. :D

That's true, but Dan and Terry on the score were talking about how players who haven't been using steroids may benefit if players are scared off steroids.

the Juice Era refers to not only steroids, but also:

-superior conditioning programs

-vitamins, supplements, etc

-juicied up baseballs

-shrinking ballparks

-watered down pitching that allows someone with Jim Parqua's modest talent to actually start the opening game of a playoff series.

32 homers is what 22 homers used to be prior to 1993. League average for every day players is like 25.

I'm not trying to bash you. I was just wondering why you wouldn't want Mags on our team. C. Lee's gaining on him, but he may be the most productive guy in the lineup.

At 7+ Mill, C-Lee is close to being overpaid as well.

As far as production....once again.....Derek Jeter would be one of the more productive players on this Sox team.

Doesn't mean we should pay 19 Mill a year for him...does it?

i think the orioles would like maggs... they have the $$$ and wanted vlad... the dodgers need to do something with their offense, so i could see them giving him a large contract. i think if the sox don't resign him, those 2 would be the most likely. personaly i'd really like to keep maggs, if it we could get him in the 12 mil. range

It all depends on 2004.

If Maggs has a 1100 OPS season, drives in 140 runs and leads us all the way to ALCS......then Sox may have to shell out 13-14 Mill for his services.

But if he has a 920 OPS/115 RBI season and Sox are in 2nd/3rd place, then these is no point to re-signing him as the team would be in a major re-building mode anyway

I'd rather see what Borchard/Reed/Rowand could do in RF for bare minimum.

I'm not trying to bash you.  I was just wondering why you wouldn't want Mags on our team.  C. Lee's gaining on him, but he may be the most productive guy in the lineup.

I don't think I said I'd not like to resign him. He is my fav player, of course I'd want him to stay a Sox.

I got to say the Pads won't be an option. Towers is very pleased with their outfield and unless Nevin or Klesko are moved they won't be adding any outfielders for a while.

I'd say the Padres will add a starting pitcher or two next offseason, but position wise, like you said witesoxfan, they are very solid.

I got to say the Pads won't be an option.  Towers is very pleased with their outfield and unless Nevin or Klesko are moved they won't be adding any outfielders for a while. 

I'd say the Padres will add a starting pitcher or two next offseason, but position wise, like you said witesoxfan, they are very solid.

Oh they will almost undoubtedly add a starter or two. I can't imagine Ismael Valdes being there too awfully long, and for all we know, David Wells could raid a Hostess packaging plant and be sent to jail for 10 years. Also, whoever the bigtime reliever it is that is going to hit the FA market this year, I would imagine San Diego will be after him as well.

To me, it really says something about a team when they have a guy in Terrence Long who gives you 15-20 homers a year and pretty good defense and have him as their 4th OFer. I personally feel that they are the best offensive team in the NL, and I think they'll be better then several AL teams as well offensively.

It all depends on 2004.

If Maggs has a 1100 OPS season, drives in 140 runs and leads us all the way to ALCS......then Sox may have to shell out 13-14 Mill for his services.

But if he has a 920 OPS/115 RBI season and Sox are in 2nd/3rd place, then these is no point to re-signing him as the team would be in a major re-building mode anyway

I'd rather see what Borchard/Reed/Rowand could do in RF for bare minimum.

I reiterate.

What about Cubs?

Grudz/Walker

Patterson

Lee

Sosa

Alou

Ramirez

How about St. Louis

K. Robinson

Renteria

Pujols

Edmonds

Rolen

Sanders

Houston?

Biggio

Ensberg

Bagwell

Kent

Berkman

Hidalgo

Braves?

Furcal

Giles

Jones

Jones

J.D. Drew

Phillies?

Byrd

Rollins

Thome

Burrell

Abreu

Liberthal

Palanco

Bell

There are a few NL lineups that are pretty damn good

How about St. Louis

K. Robinson

Renteria

Pujols

Edmonds

Rolen

Sanders

Houston?

Biggio

Ensberg

Bagwell

Kent

Berkman

Hidalgo

Braves?

Furcal

Giles

Jones

Jones

J.D. Drew

Phillies?

Byrd

Rollins

Thome

Burrell

Abreu

Liberthal

Palanco

Bell

There are a few NL lineups that are pretty damn good

the phillies have a solid lineup plus they have like 4 all star caliber pitchers in millwood, wolf, padilla, and milton. as for the cubs when are they ever going to get a solid catcher.