Zhammnov traded

Mathew

Fraser was on the team with Seabrook..... THAT LOST TO THE US!!!!!

He's a solid guy... we got some solid youngins in the trade. 3 2nd rounders in this year's draft.

Fraser sounds like a nice grinder to have around... he's currently second on a usually stacked Red Deer Rebel team. (The team Matt Ellison played for last year and he lit that league up)

Im gonna give em the benefit of the doubt..... why wouldn't I? Nothing else left to give.

I'll see the guys Pully and Tallon draft and then judge them.... from what I hear this draft is pretty stacked in the first couple rounds... but I could be wrong.

BTW, from what im hearing, is that the reason we keep getting these seconed round picks, and not first, is not becasuse there not available, but becasue the Hawks dont want to pay first round money to guys.  :D

lol not much would surprise me.... but Fraser seems like a nice addition. and Flyers Fans seem to think that losing Vandermeer is a bad thing. He seems to be a big bruiser type guy... just what the Hawks need and Fans like to see as well.

Lets not forget.... Zhamnov is finally gone, no more sissy diving penalties etc... YaY... Time to step it up Tyler and Tuomo!

The Chicago Blackhawks announced that they have acquired defenseman Jim Vandermeer, center Colin Fraser (left), and a 2nd round pick in the 2004 Entry Draft from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Alex Zhamnov and a 4th round pick in 2004.

"We have acquired two players who we feel fit the direction we are going," said Blackhawks general manager Bob Pulford. "Jim Vandermeer is a hard-nosed defenseman who is a character player and a fierce competitor. He has size and fills a need we had back on our defense. Colin Fraser is currently playing for Brent Sutter at Red Deer in the Western League and is their leading scorer. He has offensive skills and is leading their team in scoring.

"The 2nd round pick now gives us five picks in the first two rounds of this year's draft. We have a 1st rounder and four 2nd round picks. We feel we have added youth to our team and it fits the direction we said we would be going.

"Alex Zhamnov is a real pro and a player who has given his heart and soul to the Blackhawks over the past eight seasons" added Pulford. "He has been an outstanding player in this league for a long time and we wish Alex nothing but the best."

Jim Vandermeer, 23, stands at 6.01 and weighs in at 218 pounds. He was signed as a free agent by the Philadelphia Flyers on December 21, 2000 after having played his junior hockey at Red Deer in the Western Hockey League. Vandermeer was a WHL First Team All-Star in 2001 and was named the Canadian Major Junior Humanitarian Player of the Year in 2001.

After playing his first pro season for the Philadelphia Phantoms in the American Hockey League in 2001-02, Vandermeer got his first taste of NHL action the following season. He played in 24 games for the Flyers last season and had two goals and three points in 24 games to go along with 27 penalty minutes. This season, Vandermeer has split time between the Flyers and the Phantoms. For the Flyers this season, he has played in 23 games scoring three goals and five points with 25 penalty minutes. For the Phantoms in the AHL, he has appeared in 26 games with one goal and seven points and 120 penalty minutes. His best game in the NHL was on April 6th of last season at Florida when he scored a goal and was a +4.

Vandermeer has played in 47 career NHL games scoring five goals and eight points with 52 penalty minutes. He has also appeared in eight career playoff games for the Flyers with one assist and nine penalty minutes.

Colin Fraser, 19, was the Flyers third round pick (69th overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft out of Red Deer in the Western Hockey League. This season for Red Deer, Fraser is the team's leading scorer with 24 goals and 22 assists for 46 points in 60 games to go along with 154 penalty minutes. At 6.01 and 180 pounds, Fraser had 192 penalty minutes last season at Red Deer in 69 games. Fraser was a member of Team Canada that won the Gold Medal at the 2002 under-18 Eight Nations Cup.

The scouting report on Fraser is that he is an upright skater with deceptive speed and good hands. He is good offensively and has been used in a defensive role against the other team's top players. He is an excellent penalty killer and face-off man and is a feisty type of player who likes to get under the opponent's skin.

With the completion of this trade, the Blackhawks now have a total of 15 picks in this year's draft (2004) that includes one 1st round pick, four 2nd round picks, one 3rd round pick, and two 4th round picks for a total of eight picks in the first four rounds.

Alex Zhamnov, 33, was acquired by the Blackhawks from Phoenix with Craig Mills and a first round pick (Ty Jones) in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Jeremy Roenick on August 16, 1996. In his 8th season in a Blackhawk uniform, Zhamnov had appeared in three games going scoreless before undergoing surgery on his back and missing 35 games. He returned to the lineup on December 31st and has appeared in 23 games scoring six goals while adding 12 assists for 18 points.

Zhamnov was the fifth choice, 77th overall, in the 1990 NHL Entry Draft by the Winnipeg Jets. He began his NHL career with the Jets during the 1992-93 season. After four seasons with the Jets, he was traded to the Blackhawks in the summer of 1996 (the Jets organization relocated from Winnipeg to Phoenix that summer).

In his NHL career, Zhamnov has appeared in 763 games scoring 243 goals and adding 448 assists for 691 points. In playoff competition, he has appeared in 17 games with two goals and three assists for five points. As a Blackhawk, Zhamnov played in 528 regular season games scoring 140 goals while adding 284 assists for 424 points. He appeared in five playoff games for the Blackhawks going scoreless.

5 picks in the first two rounds...... damnnnnnn

Am I the only one that likes this trade? Zhamnov is a solid player(when healthy), but is no star(never scored more than 23 goals or 67 points with the Hawks). Furthermore he is no spring chicken at 33, and if I am not mistaken is a FA after this year. I think that Hawks got some solid players in return. From what I hear, Vandermeer is a decent defenseman, and most Philly fans are sad to see him go. Fraser is a talented youngster whos stock is really rising. Not to mention that they also added another 2nd round pick(giving up a 4th round pick). For once it appears that the Hawks are aheading in the right direction. They are trading aging players and getting young players and draft picks in return, not to mention that they are letting some of their own talented youngsters play. I think this youth movement is 10x better than the typical overpaid, overrated, veterans that have filled the roster the past decade. Give this team a few years and the Hawks could have a very talented young team, especially if some of these high European draft picks that Smith made live up to their hype.

Am I the only one that likes this trade? Zhamnov is a solid player(when healthy), but is no star(never scored more than 23 goals or 67 points with the Hawks). Furthermore he is no spring chicken at 33, and if I am not mistaken is a FA after this year. I think that Hawks got some solid players in return. From what I hear, Vandermeer is a decent defenseman, and most Philly fans are sad to see him go. Fraser is a talented youngster whos stock is really rising. Not to mention that they also added another 2nd round pick(giving up a 4th round pick). For once it appears that the Hawks are aheading in the right direction. They are trading aging players and getting young players and draft picks in return, not to mention that they are letting some of their own talented youngsters play. I think this youth movement is 10x better than the typical overpaid, overrated, veterans that have filled the roster the past decade. Give this team a few years and the Hawks could have a very talented young team, especially if some of these high European draft picks that Smith made live up to their hype.

i would give this team a few years if Bill Wirtz the man who once said that winning a championship costs to much money, didnt own this team.

I like this trade too.

We arguably got back more talent value than what we gave up in the form of the oft addled Captain DUI and that's not even taking into account the 2nd rounder.

I had the feeling that Pulford taking over from Mike Smith would prove to be the right move and this combined with both the signing of Bryan Berard and the Sullivan trade shows that the Hawks are moving in the right direction. Now, if Coach BS were to get fired, things would get even better.