Ozzie's Not Worried

Pastime

From the Chicago Sun Times:

Guillen isn't losing sleep over pitching staff - February 20, 2004

BY DOUG PADILLA

TUCSON, Ariz. -- With only White Sox pitchers and catchers due to report today, Ozzie Guillen will have time to get settled in before a much-anticipated face-to-face meeting with Frank Thomas.

Until the full squad reports Wednesday, things should be quiet and casual around the spring-training complex. Guillen doesn't have many rules and has even fewer for pitchers.

"I have to make sure everybody has fun and plays the game right, plays the game hard,'' said Guillen, who will conduct his first official workout as manager this afternoon after players undergo physicals. "They only have two rules: to run the bases and be on time. Besides that, just go out and have fun.''

Today's workout isn't expected to provide much information about a pitching staff that begins camp with a few question marks.

While Esteban Loaiza, Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland are all but guaranteed to make the starting rotation, Scott Schoeneweis will begin the process of proving he deserves a return to that role. The left-hander, acquired from the Anaheim Angels midway through last season, hasn't started a game since June 2002.

If Schoeneweis isn't up to the task, the Sox will be in panic mode. They already are hunting for a No. 5 starter, with Dan Wright, Jon Rauch and Neal Cotts the leading candidates. If Schoeneweis struggles in Arizona, a trade for a proven starter is expected.

"Right now I'm worried about my fifth starter,'' Guillen said. "We have four guys, Loaiza, Buehrle and all those guys. I think they will have good years. It's time for them to step up.

"You look at those guys, and they have [had] good years. Last year, the best pitcher the Marlins had, had only won 14 games. We have a guy that [has] won 21 games, another [who has] won 18 games, a couple of guys [have] won 15 games. There is no way, when your starting rotation is that good, that you shouldn't win the pennant race.''

Garland's career high is 12 victories, reached each of the last two years, while Schoeneweis' best is 10 in 2001.

Guillen might be feeling good about his starters, but the bullpen brings even more unknowns into the equation. The key for the relievers is how right-hander Billy Koch rebounds from nagging injuries and even more annoying struggles.

Koch never had fewer than 31 saves or 63 innings pitched and only once had an ERA higher than 3.39 before last season, his first in a Sox uniform. He was 5-5 last year with a 5.77 ERA in 53 innings with 11 saves and four blown saves.

While the Sox are searching for answers in the rotation, they do have insurance when it comes to their closer. If Koch falters, newcomer Shingo Takatsu, the all-time saves leader in Japan, is expected to get the first call. Left-hander Damaso Marte, who had 21 saves over the last two seasons and a 1.58 ERA in 2003, also could move to closer but is expected to be the primary setup man.

The staff might be ranked in the lower half of the major leagues, but in a watered down American League Central, it could be enough to get the job done.

"If we play up to our capabilities, we can be the best team in the division, absolutely,'' general manager Ken Williams said. "Certainly, if we play well out of the gate -- which will be a little bit of a task because we have a tough schedule to open the season -- we can be a better club, whether it be from some of our younger players improving as the season wears on or us having to go out and get the necessary pieces to make a push.

"But believe me, it won't be from a lack of trying and a lack of creativity and aggressiveness.''

Things should get interesting early as the Sox open the season with two games at Kansas City (April 5 and 7), then play the New York Yankees seven times over the next 15 days.

The one advantage we have about playing the Yankees 7 times early in the season is that usually early in the season, pitchers have the advantage. Hitters usually take a while to "get in the groove."

If Cotts makes the team, then early in the season is the RIGHT time to start him against the Yankees - not during a pennant race. Right Jerry?

jerry_manuel_001.jpg

"ZZZZZZZZ."

Wow, he sleeps with his eyes open, just like fish do. :lolhitting

I was thinking the same thing.  :lol:

Coz we dont have a 4th and 5th starter. I sure hope we trade for another starting pitcher bcoz I really dont like the idea of having Schoenweiss out there. I think our offense can hack it but Im worried with our starting pitching. How many years have we started without a 4th and a 5th starter and see what happens - we have won jack.

Is anybody else bothered by the fact that Ozzie can't remember the names of his third and fourth starters? :o

I think you guys are reading too much into it and making it say what you want it to say. Just because he says we have Loaiza, Buehrle, and those guys does not mean he doesnt know the names of the other pitchers. Give the guy a freakin break.

I think you guys are reading too much into it and making it say what you want it to say. Just because he says we have Loaiza, Buehrle, and those guys does not mean he doesnt know the names of the other pitchers. Give the guy a freakin break.

Maybe he was misquoted?

With his accent, maybe "Schoenweiss" sounded like "all those guys"!

...I can hear it.... :D

The one advantage we have about playing the Yankees 7 times early in the season is that usually early in the season, pitchers have the advantage.  Hitters usually take a while to "get in the groove." 

The '03 AL Central Champions went 0-7 against the Yankees in April of '03. It won't take EVERYONE in the Yankees line-up long to pound a team with no viable 4th or 5th starter.

The '03 AL Central Champions went 0-7 against the Yankees in April of '03. It won't take EVERYONE in the Yankees line-up long to pound a team with no viable 4th or 5th starter.

Yep, and when we go there it'll be 3-4-5-1 or 3-4-1-5 depending on how Ozzie decides to play it. Either way they'll be playing 3 games against our 3-4-5 guys.

would you rather have ozzie say...

yeah i don't know about our pitching.... schoenweis pretty much sucks and whoever the hell we pitch in the 5 spot is going to suck ass. hopefully buehrle can pitch well and loaiza damn well better win 20 again or we're screwed... and damn... don't even get me started on the bullpen... i've got some japenese dude i've never heard of, koch throwing 85mph straight fastballs, and a bunch of other scrubs whose names i never bothered to learn. jerry and kenny did a s***ty job and i hope jr sells and kw gets canned so i can get me some decent players.

yeah i don't know about our pitching.... schoenweis pretty much sucks and whoever the hell we pitch in the 5 spot is going to suck ass.  hopefully buehrle can pitch well and loaiza damn well better win 20 again or we're screwed... and damn... don't even get me started on the bullpen... i've got some japenese dude i've never heard of, koch throwing 85mph straight fastballs, and a bunch of other scrubs whose names i never bothered to learn.  jerry and kenny did a s***ty job and i hope jr sells and kw gets canned so i can get me some decent players.

YES! At least it's the truth :headbang .

Is anybody else bothered by the fact that Ozzie can't remember the names of his third and fourth starters?

This is maybe really stretching it, but maybe Ozzie is trying to backhandedly motivate Garland by not mentioning him - in other words, "when he's good enough for me to call him by name, then and only then will I." Just a thought.

Also, from the files of "When White-Trash Crackers Attack," William Ligue (the greasy scumbag who charged the field with his kid) has failed 3 drug tests and now faces a probation violation. :headshake

yeah i don't know about our pitching.... schoenweis pretty much sucks and whoever the hell we pitch in the 5 spot is going to suck ass.  hopefully buehrle can pitch well and loaiza damn well better win 20 again or we're screwed... and damn... don't even get me started on the bullpen... i've got some japenese dude i've never heard of, koch throwing 85mph straight fastballs, and a bunch of other scrubs whose names i never bothered to learn.  jerry and kenny did a s***ty job and i hope jr sells and kw gets canned so i can get me some decent players.

I don't think Ozzie is a Soxtalk poster. Just saying ... :)