Pitching Rotation

hogan873

Okay, now that Robert Person blew his achilles out, who's going to be our fifth starter? I had originally thought that Person could have made a run for the spot...now he can't run at all.

Let's go one step further. Who is confident in Schoenweis's chances as the #4 starter? I'm certainly willing to give him a chance, and I hope he does well. But, there certainly is a twinge of doubt. Can he give us 10 or 12 wins? I don't know.

So, considering Buehrle, Loaiza, and Garland are set, what will the rotation look like? Here's my humble approach at a guess:

1. Buehrle

2. Loaiza

3. Garland

4. Schoenweis

5. Rauch

I'm not sold on Rauch, but he probably has as good a chance as anyone else. If he use his size to his advantage, he could be a good pitcher. With the lackluster appearance of the rotation as a whole, getting 8 to 10 wins out of the 5th spot would be good.

I want to be surprised. I want to see Garland win 17 games. I want to see Schoenweis win 13. And I want our mystery 5th starter to come through.

Yas,

Bite your tongue. :lol:

If Danny Wrong is our 5th starter, then I think that's a bad sign. It means that Cotts, Rauch, etc. have all failed in spring training, and we have gone to him by default. Just thinking about that makes me ill.

Danny Wright is a bullpen pitcher, IMO. He is fine his first 1 or 2 times through a batting order, then he is toast.

I WAS having a good night until the thought of Wrong as 5th starter was popped into my head.

:puke

Yas,

Bite your tongue. :lol:

If Danny Wrong is our 5th starter, then I think that's a bad sign.  It means that Cotts, Rauch, etc. have all failed in spring training, and we have gone to him by default.  Just thinking about that makes me ill. 

Danny Wright is a bullpen pitcher, IMO.  He is fine his first 1 or 2 times through a batting order, then he is toast. 

I WAS having a good night until the thought of Wrong as 5th starter was popped into my head. 

:puke

Sorry. I disagree. Wright's problems last year were health related. He proved to be a decent #5 the year before, and he's that much older and smarter now. I think he has a good chance of winning the starter spot.

But can he win 14 games again? If he can, we are in hog heaven. If he can't, then we resigned to our fate.

I know he had an injury, but I chalk up his 14-12 record as more of a fluke than a trend. He can't go deep into games, and teams gage his pitches rather quickly - according to Farmer and Rooney and according to my eyes - TV or in person.

I'm not confident with him as our #5. Hell, I'm not confident with ANYONE as our #5 right now. It's a crapshoot, and I hate gambling.

But can he win 14 games again?  If he can, we are in hog heaven.  If he can't, then we resigned to our fate. 

I know he had an injury, but I chalk up his 14-12 record as more of a fluke than a trend.  He can't go deep into games, and teams gage his pitches rather quickly - according to Farmer and Rooney and according to my eyes - TV or in person. 

I'm not confident with him as our #5.  Hell, I'm not confident with ANYONE as our #5 right now.  It's a crapshoot, and I hate gambling.

At least he has proven he can win 14 games. Our #4 starter hasn't proven that yet.

danny wright and jason grilli battle it out for the 5 spot

rauch has an outside shot

cotts and diaz probably need more seasoning..but anything is possible

if josh stewart is 100% he is as good a bet as any..

so basically..i have no clue :lol:

bad thing is trying to pitch for a spot in the rotation doesnt work in arizona...its a place to work the kinks out and get ready for the season...the climate is so different there than it is in chicago that you really cant tell who is doing what..remember mike porzio??...a good spring in the desert just isnt a good indicator

Wright was inconsistent in 2002. He was also young and lacking big league experience. Inconsistency is often a problem with young pitchers. His injury may have proved to be a blessing in disguise as he had to learn to pitch effectively at less than 100%, which he did from the bullpen. If he is fully recovered and can transfer that over to a starting role, he may be very solid.

I agree with you, Baggio, on Josh Stewart. He wasn't half bad considering he had never pitched above AA. I hope the kid is healthy so he gets a legitimate shot, and/or he gives the team some depth if he gets sent down.

But can he win 14 games again?  If he can, we are in hog heaven.  If he can't, then we resigned to our fate. 

I know he had an injury, but I chalk up his 14-12 record as more of a fluke than a trend.  He can't go deep into games, and teams gage his pitches rather quickly - according to Farmer and Rooney and according to my eyes - TV or in person. 

I'm not confident with him as our #5.  Hell, I'm not confident with ANYONE as our #5 right now.  It's a crapshoot, and I hate gambling.

shows high in wins is 10??? isnt 14 more than 10?